Matco in 2022

My toolbox and a bunch of my tools are MATCO, but I bought them all 16 or so years ago before doing parts. The rep still swings by and hands me the propaganda paperwork and I will occasionally buy something off of him or the SnapOn truck. But the prices are way too high for someone who doesn't swing wrenches for a living. Also their flash sale emails are hilarious, not much of a sale especially for something that Milwaukee offers for a lot less.

Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 13-31-22 12V CORDLESS INFINIUM™ 3_8 DRIVE DRILL DRIVER KIT MCL1238DDB...jpg

One thing forgot to mention earlier their power tools are the best tool truck power tools. In my opinion. Milwaukee is my go to but if it wasn’t an option I’d definitely go with Matco. Not sure who makes them but they are a lot better than Snap-on power tools. Expensive but worth it. I’ve been very impressed with all their power tools I’ve used and own. Never liked the other tool truck brand power tools.

Snap On, Mac, Cornwell, Matco, SK... Just too many companies selling tools out of trucks these days. Something anyone can go to most any store and buy. And those trucks aren't exactly fuel efficient.

Some ideas start out good, but either outlive their time, or too many get into the market. Or operating costs get out of hand. In this case, I suspect it was a healthy dose of all of the above. Salt it all over with a horrible economy, that includes skyrocketing prices on everything from gasoline to dog food, and something's got to give.

I've been hearing chatter that cheaper alternatives will put Snap-on out of business for the last 30 years.

I've been hearing chatter that cheaper alternatives will put Snap-on out of business for the last 30 years.
No, it's not going to, "put them out of business". They have their loyalists, just like most well established brands. But most of these guys are not thriving like they did in years gone by.

Too much competition, along with Internet shopping, have taken a big chunk of their business. Clicking a mouse is even more convenient than walking out to the parking lot.

My toolbox and a bunch of my tools are MATCO, but I bought them all 16 or so years ago before doing parts. The rep still swings by and hands me the propaganda paperwork and I will occasionally buy something off of him or the SnapOn truck. But the prices are way too high for someone who doesn't swing wrenches for a living. Also their flash sale emails are hilarious, not much of a sale especially for something that Milwaukee offers for a lot less.

View attachment 112226
Their prices are too high for a tech too! CK this out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220814-072121.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-072121.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 26
I'm not sure who makes them but Matco's impact swivels (some call them u-joints) are class-leading in outside diameter of the body, which can be very important for access.

I'm not talking individual swivel sockets but the "adapters" with sq dr female on one end and sq dr male on the other end -- you use your own socket.

Years ago there was a lengthy thread on PBB about a guy who started his own Matco truck. It started out rainbows and unicorns and rather quickly ended in despair. Not necessarily bashing Matco (although it seemed like his rep kind of left him hanging once they had hooked him) but more so a window into how difficult and expensive it can be to operate a successful tool truck. I don't envy those guys, it's hard work.

I'm not sure who makes them but Matco's impact swivels (some call them u-joints) are class-leading in outside diameter of the body, which can be very important for access.

I'm not talking individual swivel sockets but the "adapters" with sq dr female on one end and sq dr male on the other end -- you use your own socket.
universals go flying across the bay

nobody would buy swivel sockets if those things worked with an impact

No, it's not going to, "put them out of business". They have their loyalists, just like most well established brands. But most of these guys are not thriving like they did in years gone by.

Too much competition, along with Internet shopping, have taken a big chunk of their business. Clicking a mouse is even more convenient than walking out to the parking lot.

My Snap-on rep said he's having a record year even with fuel prices, People are buying tools like mad......Mechanics in the area are busier than ever as well.

While it's not easy to work a tool truck route, Some of these guy know how to do it by building a loyal customer base through excellent service/support. Both my Cornwell & Snap-on reps answer their phones no matter what & I can have a broke tool replaced or a new tool I need within the hour.

They also modify their routes accordingly, For example....Tire shops rarely by tools on a weekly basis, But owe a ton of money on Balancers, Tire machines, & Alignment machines. My Snap-on rep runs those on Saturday in a Honda Civic with some Impacts & Lug sockets just in case.

Back