Maryland Fried Chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love to make this. Served with a Kale and White Bean salad, And some Cherry Tomatoes and Cucumbers with Basil. My Wife made a nice Oil and Vinegar dressing too with fresh Herbs. And some Corn. Maryland Fried Chicken by Eric Auer, on Flickr

JHZR2

Staff member
Sorry, real MD / DE / Delmarva fried chicken comes from a gas station or small shack somewhere east or west of US 13. That just looks darn good, both as a meal and the photography. And I suspect there were no gas stations involved wink

What makes it Maryland-y as compared to traditional southern/soul? There was a MFC chain in Easton, PA but I never went and it's gone now.

123Saab

Originally Posted By: cutter
What makes it Maryland-y as compared to traditional southern/soul? There was a MFC chain in Easton, PA but I never went and it's gone now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Maryland I use a recipe from a very old copy of The Fannie Farmer Cook Book Basically you soak the chicken pieces in milk or butter milk for a while before dipping them in Flour, Eggs and then breadcrumbs. Fry them in a 1/2" of oil, Turning frequently and then covering up the pan for some steaming. Easy and fun and does not require a whole lot of oil so no big mess either.

There is also a Maryland chicken recipe where the buttermilk marinated chicken is fried then smothered in gravy.IIRC old bay seasoning may be involved. There was also a chain of restaurants named Maryland Fried Chicken.Not many left but they had a pretty tasty product.Used a "broaster" and peanut oil to cook the chicken.I thought they were better than KFC.At one time I think they had 200 or so franchises along in the eastern US.I think they are down to a couple of dozen now.Too bad. btw great photos

123Saab

Originally Posted By: urrlord
There is also a Maryland chicken recipe where the buttermilk marinated chicken is fried then smothered in gravy.IIRC old bay seasoning may be involved. There was also a chain of restaurants named Maryland Fried Chicken.Not many left but they had a pretty tasty product.Used a "broaster" and peanut oil to cook the chicken.I thought they were better than KFC.At one time I think they had 200 or so franchises along in the eastern US.I think they are down to a couple of dozen now.Too bad. btw great photos
We had one near where I live now. Place was dirty and smelled rancid so I never ate there.

Status
Not open for further replies.