Marvel Mystery Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Anything with isopropyl alcohol and chlorinated paraffin (like MMO) has no business in either of those applications.

Even if, why would you want to? The proper fluids for those applications already contain the proper additive package you need. Adding MMO would only hurt their performance.

I was just wondering what other applications the MMO is good for using other than engine or fuel.

No. Anything with isopropyl alcohol and chlorinated paraffin (like MMO) has no business in either of those applications.

Even if, why would you want to? The proper fluids for those applications already contain the proper additive package you need. Adding MMO would only hurt their performance.
Have you seen tell of damage or negative affects by MMO? I'm not arguing, just curious.

Can Marvel be used in transfer cases and transmissions or even differential?
FB_IMG_1615342998411.jpg

I love MMO and use it in my fuel injected and carbureted applications. Keeps the carbs clean over winter storage, and all start quick right after, even with old gas. Used it for piston soaks, and many people used it to un-seize seized up engines (JYD, ThunderHead289, VGG, etc.) But using MMO in transfer cases, transmissions, and differentials all sound like recipes for disaster.

Marvel Mystery Oil - Jack of all trades, master of none. But still a lot better than a master of one.

Here are my uses in last 10 years across multiple vehicles and other applications:
- Using it in oil decreased oil consumption and quieted the valvetrains in multiple of my vehicles. I buy used, usually high mileage with unknown maintenance history. In those applications MMO shines. Worked as advertised in nearly all applications. A couple were just too far gone due to previous owner's neglect.
- Using it in fuel quieted some of the engines, quieted some fuel pumps, revived a couple fuel gauges. Improved MPG in most cars, made no difference in few cars, and actually made MPG worse in a couple.
- MMO as Piston soak was tried in 5 vehicles by me. Reached desired effect in 2 vehicles, no difference in other 3. It is a slow cleaner, so maybe with more time all 5 would've been a success, but I'll never know for sure. Only got 1 of these 5 vehicles left in the stable currently.
- Stuff smells great, so I squirt some occasionally on the door hinges in garage and shed. Keeps all smooth and quiet with nice minty smell.
- I have some old engine parts laying around that were coated with MMO years ago, and still have no rust. Uncoated parts of the same engine have rust. (Motor oil or ATF would achieve same results, but MMO smells better. May try baby oil next, it is mineral oil afterall, right? :ROFLMAO: )
- My carbureted applications require no carb cleaning when MMO is used constantly. I still do it as due diligence, just to find out that cleaning was a waste of time, as MMO kept it all clean. Can't say the same about Stabil for example...

There are better products available depending on application. But if I got MMO on hand and it works 50-80% as good, at lower cost, and I don't have to drive to the store to buy a specialized product, then I'm using MMO without a doubt.

Last edited:
I use it in the oil in on the Ford 5.4l 3v. Takes 7Q and I use 5w30 Pennzoil platinum with a qt of MMO Doesn't seem to like it in the fuel that much tho not sure if it's because of flex fuel engine or not but Redline works best for fuel additive in my application

Marvel Mystery Oil - Jack of all trades, master of none. But still a lot better than a master of one.

Here are my uses in last 10 years across multiple vehicles and other applications:
- Using it in oil decreased oil consumption in multiple of my vehicles. I buy used, usually high mileage with unknown maintenance history. In those applications MMO shines. Worked as advertised in nearly all applications. A couple were just too far gone due to previous owner's neglect.
- Using it in fuel quieted some of the engines, quieted some fuel pumps, revived a couple fuel gauges. Improved MPG in most cars, made no difference in few cars, and actually made MPG worse in a couple.
- MMO as Piston soak was tried in 5 vehicles by me. Reached desired effect in 2 vehicles, no difference in other 3. It is a slow cleaner, so maybe with more time all 5 would've been a success, but I'll never know for sure. Only got 1 of these 5 vehicles left in the stable currently.
- Stuff smells great, so I squirt some occasionally on the door hinges in garage and shed. Keeps all smooth and quiet with nice minty smell.
- I have some old engine parts laying around that were coated with MMO years ago, and still have no rust. Uncoated parts of the same engine have rust. (Motor oil or ATF would achieve same results, but MMO smells better. May try baby oil next, it is mineral oil afterall, right? :ROFLMAO: )
- My carbureted applications require no carb cleaning when MMO is used constantly. I still do it as due diligence, just to find out that cleaning was a waste of time, as MMO kept it all clean. Can't say the same about Stabil for example...

There are better products available depending on application. But if I got MMO on hand and it works 50-80% as good, at lower cost, and I don't have to drive to the store to buy a specialized product, then I'm using MMO without a doubt.
Have used MMO in my gasoline since about 1973 when the "on duty mechanics" I worked with at a full service gas station told me about it.
I have only used it to keep my fuel systems clean. Always have the 32 ounce bottles in each car trunk along with my "get out of trouble" mini tools and safety kits. Use it about once every other month. I would/do not add anything to my oil.

I use it in the oil in on the Ford 5.4l 3v. Takes 7Q and I use 5w30 Pennzoil platinum with a qt of MMO Doesn't seem to like it in the fuel that much tho not sure if it's because of flex fuel engine or not but Redline works best for fuel additive in my application

We just had a recent thread where someone did the same thing as you did, added a quart to their sump. You might get some info by searching.

I bought a new 92’ GMC with the 4.3L V-6 that had a serious knock when starting that would immediately go away. Wouldn’t do it every time. I talked to a GM mechanic and he told me when that engine is cut off that it stops in 1 of 3 positions and to mark the crankshaft pulley and see if it did it only in one position. I did and it did. He said it was a lifter bleeding down and to try the MMO. It completely cured the problem and was still running great at 150K miles when I traded it.
Cured the knock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back