MARVEL MYSTERY OIL in an SS cobalt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am driving an SS cobalt that has had the oil changed with 5w-30 Royal Purple since about 30k miles (that's when I bought it). My question is, first off this car takes 6.5 quarts of oil so how much should I replace with MMO? Also I know to put some in the gas tank too, but should the MMO be added to every oil change as it is added to every fill up? Any help on this would be great seeing as I am new to the idea of MMO. Thanks.

IMO MMO in fuel is not to be done regularily, just a couple times a year at most. MMO in oil, maybe in the winter, and then only the last 2K or 3k miles. The aromatic hydrocarbon chlorine molecule looks pretty stable but over all this driving and moisture getting in the oil possibly, one worries about corrosive stuff like H Cl or so forming.

I've always been skeptical about oil and fuel additives: if the additives worked the wonders they proclaim, major oil and gasoline companies would be scrambling to use them in their mixtures. Most additives seem to be a waste of money.

That said, the Marvel website states the following: "Marvel recommends using 4oz of MMO for every 10 gallons of gasoline." and "Marvel recommends replacing between 10 and 25 percent of your motor oil with MMO. For example, if the crankcase capacity is 5-quarts, add 4 quarts of your favorite motor oil and one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil."

Originally Posted By: jayno20
I am driving an SS cobalt that has had the oil changed with 5w-30 Royal Purple since about 30k miles (that's when I bought it). My question is, first off this car takes 6.5 quarts of oil so how much should I replace with MMO? Also I know to put some in the gas tank too, but should the MMO be added to every oil change as it is added to every fill up? Any help on this would be great seeing as I am new to the idea of MMO. Thanks.

I've been using MMO over 35 years now, it works. Does it have to be added to the oil at every OCI? No. Do people do it? Yes. I have a college buddy that uses it every OCI, something his father did and the tradition continues. We changed a vC gasket on a Toyota he had that had about 200,000 miles on it. That top end of the engine was clean as a whistle, and the car ran like new. He also added it to his gas.

I add it to the gas pretty much all the time. I ran it through an Inverse Oiler on a Ford Van for around 20 years. The only downside to that is it doesn't go through the injectors that way, but as a top oiler it works well.

My suggestion for use would be to add a pint about 1000 miles before an OCI, and during the winter months I would run a qt for the full OCI depending on sump size. For a 5 qt sump and up add a qt, 4 qt sump or less add a pint. Your engine will stay clean. HTH

I've been adding it to the crankcase. Usually if you have a 5qt sump you replace 1 qt with MMO. You have 6.5 quart sump, so just replace 1 qt as well. You have more oil to mix it in with. As for fuel, I add 8oz per fill up(20gallon tank).

How often did the previous owner change the oil - what was the OCI? Royal Purple is keeping that engine clean. Adding MMO is a waste of money, IMHO.

Any brand name gas station's additives should keep the fueling system clean.

What's the octane rating for MMO, btw. Your motor probably calls for 91 oct, but I'm guessing, like most of us, you fill up with 93 when you can. At 4 oz of MMO per 10 gal that's only like .3%, which I would assume would lower the overall octane rating an insignificant amount.

Edit: I've never tried MMO in the oil, but have in the fuel 4-5 times. I didn't notice any difference at all. Either my fuel system was clean to begin with (@ 200k miles) or MMO didn't provide an noticeable changes via butt dyno and scangauge monitoring (which is always spot on and an entirely accurate way to monitor fuel consumption and the like
crackmeup2.gif
)

Last edited:
Not everyone sees benefits,but many of us have. To those who don't see any benefit, or feel they don't want to use a top oil because it is a waste they should just gas up and drive. Millions do that each and everyday.

I have no problem with using it in fuel ..especially an older engine with mileage on it. I really ought to check myself. My "newer" vehicles aren't so new anymore. I've got too many tests going on to taint them at the moment, but I'd like to do a heavier dose (maybe a quart) a tank or two before a plug change, just to see how the starting reacts. When I did it on my older engine, it produced single bump starting afterward. The plugs were soot covered pretty substantially, as were the backside of the intake valves. It was soft stuff. The pistons and the combustion chamber were clean. I'd probably chase it with some Amsoil PI to clean up the valves, but they may have cleaned up on their own with continued driving.

Fuel is dry with no lubricity to it. A little push won't hurt anything.

MMO is at it's best when used regularly in the fuel.
Esp with modern in tank fuel pumps and alcohol laden fuels.
And it cleans and lube everything else.

Put it in the engine oil? At minimum, a little in the oil [esp in winter], is fine.

OK well i figure for 4 bucks even if it is snake oil, I'll give it a try. I will get some today and put it in my gas. I will probably wait until next oil change to add it to the oil.

I am not sure what the OCIs were with the previous owner, which is why I want to make sure its squeaky clean in there :)

OK well i figure for 4 bucks even if it is snake oil, I'll give it a try. I will get some today and put it in my gas. I will probably wait until next oil change to add it to the oil.

I am not sure what the OCIs were with the previous owner, which is why I want to make sure its squeaky clean in there :)

You didn't waste your money on snake oil. For every person who thinks MMO is snake oil there are probably 1000 who have been satisfied with it. Have a look at some of the discussion going on recently about it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

You didn't waste your money on snake oil. For every person who thinks MMO is snake oil there are probably 1000 who have been satisfied with it. Have a look at some of the discussion going on recently about it.

I'm not against MMO, but, unfortunately, this satisfaction is mostly always objective and unverifiable. My motor will randomly make noises for as short as a single morning to as long as a week at a time before going back to "normal." I've changed the oil to another brand and attributed the subsequent lack of noise to the oil only to have it crop back up a day or so later as per normal.

The same goes for my noisy fuel pump. Some days it's rattling its butt off, while other days nothing. I tried MMO since it was cheap, and what the heck. No change over multiple tank-fulls. I'm not saying it's snake oil; I'm saying it did nothing for me, and a lot of the credit people give to additives is coincidence, wishful thinking or validation for too much money spent. I've tried a few different additives, and none have changed a thing in both my old cars and new alike. Maybe I'm just lucky

Last edited:
It is mostly subjective, and maybe some of the positive observations are imagined.

I do think the dichlorobenzene is a valid lubricant, but would really limit its use. For one thing, there's going to be some chlorine by product going through the exhaust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-Dichlorobenzene

I would use it for half an OCI but would be very hesitant to use it for a full one. The oil and gas companies probably may actually have considered these compounds but have had their reasons for not putting it in regular oil and gas. Maybe some "if it ain't broke don't fix it" logic would be healthy, and I would think, at 30K mile, this car is just out of its infancy and the whole engine is still very clean.

well i just put about 4oz in my gas and about 8oz in my oil. Next oil change will be a full quart of it and then I guess I'll see for myself.

I've been happy with it, and had results I could see and hear over the years. I guess it depends with any of these additives.
21.gif

MMO is a good product and I think it useful for the last 500-1000 miles of an OCI to do some cleaning. However, I doubt you really need it if your using an expensive, quality synthetic oil on a car that I assume had regular synthetic oil changes...

Hmmm... 2 cycle oil in gas? that ties to another thread I read on bitog a while ago.

What about throwing in a cup of vegetable oil into the tank? Would that lube things a little? Would seem to be similar to 2 cycle oil .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back