Manual Transmissions Soon Gone

Pretty simple to just ask and if it's a concern you can just tell them you'll drive it in/out etc. Someone there will know how to drive it, folks make it out like this is some lost art but most folks in that industry can ride the clutch long enough to get in/out of the bay.
Fixed that for you (🤭)

I have the same concerns when I take my car to the shop, so I limit it as much as possible. I took my Soul to a Kia dealer and got to watch the young tech through the window buck and stall and ride the heck out of the clutch all from the comfort of their waiting room. They told me they hardly ever see a manual transmission car anymore. 🙁. Now I kindly ask if there’s someone that can drive manual. The local Firestone I like had no issues driving it.

Last edited:
Pretty simple to just ask and if it's a concern you can just tell them you'll drive it in/out etc. Someone there will know how to drive it, folks make it out like this is some lost art but most folks in that industry can drive one well enough to get in/out of the bay.
:ROFLMAO: You're right maybe been watching too many reruns on tv, I was thinking maybe burn incense and make an offering of food like oranges and or a chicken, while a tech drives my car into the service bay to do the tires...

Fixed that for you (🤭)

I have the same concerns when I take my car to the shop, so I limit it as much as possible. I took my Soul to a Kia dealer and got to watch the young tech through the window buck and stall and ride the heck out of the clutch all from the comfort of their waiting room. They told me they hardly ever see a manual transmission car anymore. 🙁. Now I kindly ask if there’s someone that can drive manual. The local Firestone I like had no issues driving it.
I am serious though, I hate valet parking garages, and there's really no choice in Manhattan. But in Phila and DC? I've heard a valet pull someone else's car up, grinding and over-revving.

My car is going on 16, unbelievable where the time goes. Sales rep passed away and she was only 59. I take it to the dealer for state inspection only. Pre-pandemic 2.5 years ago, a 20 yo kid brings it to me, and he says this is a sweet car. I was thinking hmmm, he's only 20, yet seems to have good taste (I would think many his age would think a 2007 car is outdated and a dinosaur).

I pat myself on the back with the choice because the then editor of C&D had the very same car, only his was 4 doors.

I like TP.
lol remember 2020? Well as late as late last year I bought amazon commercial 2-ply (it's like Quilted Northern, not like in an office building), $36 for 80 double rolls. It's like $54 now. My wife at the time was asking why are you buying 5 cases? Now who looks smart?!! :ROFLMAO:

In '15 I purchased an Accord Sport with stick- didn't realize how rare they are and I don't know which way that takes you resale wise. The choice was CVT or stick- I don't even know if I would buy a new CVT. Minimum conventional auto with paddles.

In '15 I purchased an Accord Sport with stick- didn't realize how rare they are and I don't know which way that takes you resale wise. The choice was CVT or stick- I don't even know if I would buy a new CVT. Minimum conventional auto with paddles.
My experience is manuals last forever, my 1998 Nissan never needed a clutch although it needed a clutch hose (OE), over a span of 19 years and 300k+.

Weird thing is it would seem autos last the life of the car as well, now? Meaning there's no reason for the Aamcos of the world anymore. The debate on autos it would seem is whether to drain/fill the transmission, and when. Also the Toyotas seem to have an overly complicated process with no dipstick.

I bet there is some under current demand.

Not like a huge demand, yet SERIOUS buyers, who know what they want if you follow. This has been my experience, makes the car easy to sell. Cuts down on a LOT of browsing folks.

This was a sweet car - I considered it in 2013.

My experience is manuals last forever, my 1998 Nissan never needed a clutch although it needed a clutch hose (OE), over a span of 19 years and 300k+.

Weird thing is it would seem autos last the life of the car as well, now? Meaning there's no reason for the Aamcos of the world anymore. The debate on autos it would seem is whether to drain/fill the transmission, and when. Also the Toyotas seem to have an overly complicated process with no dipstick.
'00 Jetta 5 spd had the o.g. clutch until it finally bought it around 300K.

So nothing to really add of value but a nice observation I had. Yesterday I was navigating my 3500 through downtown Vancouver. I saw a mid to late 90's Camaro roll up beside me. This little old grandma driving and she was rowing gears. She was smooth in that bumper to bumper, I thought she had an auto but no. All the while the AS69RC was letting me know how much it hated me.

I think in N.A. the EPA test procedures helped end the manual in normal cars too. Apparently in the test, once on the virtual highway, a manual isn't allowed to downshift... So to avoid lugging and high emissions, the top gear in a manual trans car is a higher ratio than would be ideal for fuel economy. Also rev hang, and drive by wire don't help a manual either.
I really wanted a manual Outback, but the 2018(cvt only) is a much better car for us than the 2017(last year of manuals)...
The ROW seems to be a bit more practical than us in N.A. so manuals will live on there for quite a while and perhaps even in the electric era?

For my 2wd beater boxes though, it will be used manuals for as long as I can find them. It makes a slow car more interesting for me anyways. We've put about a half million miles(in total) on several different used and new manual trans vehicles and never had an issue.

Nope, not a brake, although you should be all the way on that third pedal when at or almost near a full stop 🙂before you get rolling again into what I will assume is 1st when it's time again to move.

My first two cars were manuals.. actually my first three were.
My first car was and I learned to drive on my dad's 92 Nissan pickup truck, which had no feel at all for the pressure point and was like pushing down on a wet noodle. Learning to drive on that truck made it easier to drive just about any manual as they were ALL better than the feel on that thing. I remember having to hold the truck on a steep hill only using the clutch and gas. Took a while to get it right but once I was able to do it driving a manual was just second nature.

Tried to teach a friend of mine one time how to drive manual with my 94 Z28, which should be the easiest thing in the world considering it can take off in 3rd gear with all the torque she makes. First thing he does after I explain to him how it works is just let off the clutch pedal and we go slamming forward as it starts then dies from no gas. Mind you if you let out the clutch slowly the car will take off without any gas but nope, steps off it just like a brake pedal. He managed to get it started after a couple more tries but still couldn't quiet get the whole "when you start to slow down to stop, you have to push the clutch down so you don't kill the engine." Fortunately we were in a big empty parking lot so he couldn't really hurt anyone with his terrible driving. He gave up about 15 minutes later.

A few years down the road he thought about replacing his v6 mustang with a v8 manual one. To try to get him to buy it the dealership let him take it home for the weekend. Personally I'm surprised they did as they probably had to replace the clutch when he brought it back and told him he couldn't drive it. He tried to drive me home from the bar as it was my birthday that night and I was far too drunk to even think about getting behind the wheel. I probably still could have gotten us home without the 17 killed engines from his inability to launch or stop the car.

^^^I've taught my two older sons to drive manual and even my 12 yo can get around a parking lot somewhat smoothly (not more than second gear). I find it's very helpful to explain the mechanics first...the "why" of needing the clutch etc., then show with hands acting as feet on the clutch/gas, then showing them with me driving and them looking at my feet. Having them start by not using the gas at first is also pretty helpful...slowly releasing that clutch pedal to the bite point, seeing the RPMs start to drop, then letting it out...the whole time saying "slow slow slow everything slow slow" hahahaha

My first car was and I learned to drive on my dad's 92 Nissan pickup truck, which had no feel at all for the pressure point and was like pushing down on a wet noodle. Learning to drive on that truck made it easier to drive just about any manual as they were ALL better than the feel on that thing. I remember having to hold the truck on a steep hill only using the clutch and gas. Took a while to get it right but once I was able to do it driving a manual was just second nature.

Tried to teach a friend of mine one time how to drive manual with my 94 Z28, which should be the easiest thing in the world considering it can take off in 3rd gear with all the torque she makes. First thing he does after I explain to him how it works is just let off the clutch pedal and we go slamming forward as it starts then dies from no gas. Mind you if you let out the clutch slowly the car will take off without any gas but nope, steps off it just like a brake pedal. He managed to get it started after a couple more tries but still couldn't quiet get the whole "when you start to slow down to stop, you have to push the clutch down so you don't kill the engine." Fortunately we were in a big empty parking lot so he couldn't really hurt anyone with his terrible driving. He gave up about 15 minutes later.

A few years down the road he thought about replacing his v6 mustang with a v8 manual one. To try to get him to buy it the dealership let him take it home for the weekend. Personally I'm surprised they did as they probably had to replace the clutch when he brought it back and told him he couldn't drive it. He tried to drive me home from the bar as it was my birthday that night and I was far too drunk to even think about getting behind the wheel. I probably still could have gotten us home without the 17 killed engines from his inability to launch or stop the car.
^^^I've taught my two older sons to drive manual and even my 12 yo can get around a parking lot somewhat smoothly (not more than second gear). I find it's very helpful to explain the mechanics first...the "why" of needing the clutch etc., then show with hands acting as feet on the clutch/gas, then showing them with me driving and them looking at my feet. Having them start by not using the gas at first is also pretty helpful...slowly releasing that clutch pedal to the bite point, seeing the RPMs start to drop, then letting it out...the whole time saying "slow slow slow everything slow slow" hahahaha
@TiGeo also @LDM I thank you. your post has inspired me to make a post about how I first was introduced to manuals, I also believe that, like many things, the quality of your experience will depend on the quality of your instructor. Will be a bit lengthy, but, let's get into it.

I also maintain that some people have driving ability built into their bones, a function of their DNA and being, similar to dance or song or artistic inclanation. And some do not, (though most can learn.)

So, then. I do forget my first three vehicles confused. Except that one was a Honda. I believe it was a CRX, and it was either the HF or more likely a DX. Small, puny 4 cylinder. This compared to my first two, which were German, and very torque-y.. one, you could virtually heel-toe it all the time and let the clutch out "medium speed" into 2nd gear and it would just smile at you and go. I used to shift that car 1-2-5 to achieve 40MPH, even 4th gear wasn't needed, it was a 5 speed. The Jetta was a little bit different, it had a clutch with a lot of travel, (you had to really press it a long ways to get it to engage, and it was especially torture in rush hour traffic IF you were tired, the E30 clutch on the 6 was a LOT better) - so, why am I sharing all this. @LDM mentioned the 94 Z28, probably with a 5.0 if a 5.7 was the Formula and either one, gobs and gobs of torque. So, yes, you could take off in 3rd. This would be very, very different than the CRX, where you had to be at about 2500RPM ? I forget.. to engage the clutch.. However, these are two extremes.

I think only my first 3 were manuals, then I moved on. I don't recall having a manual since.

I've instructed two people on how to drive, but never in a manual. Both people I've shown the very very basics of a car, let them sit behind the wheel.. told me they had never driven before. So, I should share.. You have about 4 ways to stop a car: 1. With a very long pipe, you can press the brake pedal from the passenger seat. Never had to do that, so that brings us to the other 3: 2. Turn ignition off while driving. Dangerous, but, will get the job done. 3. Throw it into Park. Not ideal, but, again, emergency. 4. Use the parking brake, at low speed it should do something. 5. Some combination of the previous 4. The look they have when they are piloting a 2-ton car, forward, for the first time.. The tie-in here is as @TiGeo said, don't even worry about the gas, just let off the brake and realize that YOU are in control of the car, start easy.. Take it around the curve if you feel comfortable as I always did this in a park. If you don't feel comfortable, stop.. Well, the same mannerisms apply for learning how to drive a stick. So now I will share that.

My Uncle taught me to drive stick. In my opinion, he did a masterful job. I learned on a Mk2 Jetta. He told me the basics: 1. If the engine is running and the car isn't moving, the clutch needs to be 100% engaged (a.k.a. Your foot on the clutch.) 2. If you don't get on the clutch coming to a stop, it will stall out. We did a variety of things.. Coming to a stop NOT engaging the clutch (this is one of those things where you know the car will get beat up a little bit teaching someone what to do,) Taking off from a stop. Many many more.. I forget most of it. I got it almost right away. I got too caught up in excitement and pride and kind of forgot what to do, and it stalled a few times, usually coming to a stop.. in a few weeks, I would call myself fluent. It is just like riding a bike, I would remember in short order if I had a manual again. To this day, I am usually the only one (or one of a few people, if an Over 40 crowd) that knows how to drive stick at all, and this makes me popular as, say, an auction jockey or some such thing.

Now, yes, some car forums (usually full of elitists or other adjectives. No names and nothing to do with here) will say Two-pedal cars and three-pedal cars.. Statements like "I don't drive two-pedal cars." Yeah, ok. This brings us to another aspect of the whole thing.. Sure, modern shift boxes etc etc can shift faster than Michael Schumacher key-holeing shifts in an F1 car... That's totally not the point. In a car with a stick and a clutch, you are in CONTROL.. You don't have ANY kind of auto-assist, and it really does contribute to a feeling of mastery and one with the machine. It is unique, and, sought after. There was a thread in which I believe I made comment about being a "pure" driver. (Meant, as to the driving experience. Takeaway was, there is nothing wrong with automatic this, that, power windows, any number of accoutrements like that, however I was maintaining that in a real "pure" or perhaps "raw" or "visceral" driving experience, like a 1983 Porsche 911 SC... or, even better, a 1989 Porsche Turbo Slantnose... or something like that.. you've got a stick.) As mentioned in other posts in this thread, if some kind of automatic, DSG, Porsche PDK, whatever they got.. Can do it better.. it is a completely different experience.

Almost ending post.. It is true, the new manually shiftable automatic options (have been around for awhile, watched a video about a 1995 Eagle Talon Tsi with Autostick just today) have the advantage in traffic or almost every situation.. if you treat driving as just between the driver, the machine, and the road, a stick shift is still a beautiful option, and there are a few 2023 models bringing back an actual pure manual option. I believe the new Nissan Z is one of them. https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports-cars/a39986272/2023-nissan-z-car-drive-review/

I can tell you that, out of everyone I know in my circle, outside of this website, I am the one that is tasked to be the driver. And I could do with a manual. I'm getting old, I'd choose some kind of an automatic or manually-shiftable automatic.. Early morning DMV traffic jams, really anywhere there is a traffic jam when you are tired, after driving all night, etc.. it has the edge. But there are times I do still yearn for a manual.

I'm not sure I would ever again purchase a car with a stick.

Reactions: LDM

Weird thing is it would seem autos last the life of the car as well, now? Meaning there's no reason for the Aamcos of the world anymore
. Also the Toyotas seem to have an overly complicated process with no dipstick.

If automatics last the life of the car it’s amazing how the one local real transmission rebuilder always has a parking lot full of cars in the process of repair and a month wait to get an appointment .
Tons of the SUVs that look like minivans parked in there.
Maybe 200,000 miles is the life of the car.

In the process of teaching my daughter to drive my 5 speed "new to me" 2010 Jetta. She loves it and thinks it **** cool. On a side note, I was shocked at how high it revs on,the highway...3500 at 80 mph. I just cant see this car in Europe running high speeds for long periods at 4k or more RPM. I csm see why they made a 6 speed.

Trade in terrible for recent manuals. The private market will have a small buyer pool.

I bet there is some under current demand.

Not like a huge demand, yet SERIOUS buyers, who know what they want if you follow. This has been my experience, makes the car easy to sell. Cuts down on a LOT of browsing folks.
I bought the car thoroughly for myself- but thought the honda rev happy 4 and stick was a good combo.

Back