Do engines last longer when connected to manual transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by den_s:
FYI, all latest automatic tranny vehicles outperform all manuals in Mpg. New automatic design connect drivetrain directly to the engine, just like manuals.

I strongly disagree. Auto transmissions have had torque converter lock-up for decades. The mileage differences are more of a manifestation of the different gearing. The 06 civic does over a 1/3 more revs on the freeway with the manual transmission. I'm sure the other vehicles mentioned are the same way. Even if the converter is in lockup mode, the fluid is still there to impede the flow and there are about 10 times the parts that have to move.

Could it be a domestic vs asian/european thing especially 15 years ago when US was at the bottom of the pile. Not trying to through the thread off, I think domestics are decent now.

Domestics are rarely manual while a larger portion of asian/european happen to be manual.

you should see vehicle around here.

doesn't matter what Transmission it has.........they are all mostly beat to crap.

another thing......most women drive automatics

something to think about
grin.gif

And here i've put on a secondary Tranny cooler with an auxilary filter to prolong its life

what is wrong with me!!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by den_s:
FYI, all latest automatic tranny vehicles outperform all manuals in Mpg. New automatic design connect drivetrain directly to the engine, just like manuals.

Hmm,

Toyota Corolla Manual gets 32/41 and Auto gets 30/38.

Camry Manual 24/34 - Auto 24/33

Honda Accord Manual 26/34 - Auto 24/34 (i4) V6 same diff.

Honda Civic gets better with the auto, But the manual has total different gearing which makes its engine turn 300-400 rpm MORE at 70 mph than the Auto. (DUMB MOVE HONDA!)
twak.gif

Those are just a few but Manuals will get better mileage than autos.

My Mom has the same truck as I do except its a automatic. I get 3-4 miles per gallon better than her truck. Same engine, tires, equipment. I even drove it for a long trip and could not get better than they did.

Anytime you have a automatic, there is going to be a loss of power at somepoint.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Scion tC gets 1mpg less with manual transmission. Lots of folks complain about the short 5th gear on the manual tC. Auto revs about 1000rpm less (!) in top gear on the highway for same speed.

DUMB MOVE TOYOTA!

Why in the world are both Honda and Toyota doing that?

quote:

Why in the world are both Honda and Toyota doing that?

I don't know but it would cause me to pass on their car in a sec after finding that out.

I know of 3 Civics that were NOT bought in the last 2 months because of the manual being worst.

2 Corollas and 1 Cobalt sold instead.

They all looked and drove the Civic and I'm not saying that the Manual turning alot more revs on the freeway did it in, but all were looking foward to the 06 civic.

There should be no reason why a manual turns more revs than a auto on the freeway in high gear.
twak.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
Could it be so you don't have to downshift for passing?

I think many European cars are set up that way.

Possibly, but don't you think that someone who buys a manual tranny would *want* to have to downshift to pass on the highway? Most folks who buy manuals buy them for enjoyment -- there's really no other substantial reason to get them anymore.

quote:

I think many European cars are set up that way.

It depends on the type car. Family sedans are usually geared more towards "shift-lazy" driving and make the best of available torque, while sport cars are geared for a "shift-friendly" driving experience. Consider that we ar talking about mostly (relatively) small displacement engines here.

Sometimes, a manufacturer will give you a choice of gearing, like was the case with my VW Scirocco. I opted for the manual 5-speed sport transmission (top speed in 5th). I could have also chosen an available 5-speed with 5th gear "E(conomy)" overdrive (top speed in 4th) or a 3 speed auto tranny.

quote:

don't you think that someone who buys a manual tranny would *want* to have to downshift to pass on the highway

If it's necessary,yes. Having a tall 5th gear makes it necessary more often and quite frankly can be annoying and I basing this on a Mustang 5.0 with a .62 5th gear and 2.73 final.

(Interestingly enough, one of the most common modifications made to those cars is to change the final gears. 3.55 is a common choice..and is reported to increase city fuel economy at the expense of highway fuel economy).

quote:

there's really no other substantial reason to get them anymore.

For me it was getting a much simpler car for almost a grand cheaper.

For my Truck (which I had to order) it was closer to $2000.

I know what a manual transmission does and how it works.

2 quarts of $4-8 a quart oil every 45-60k and your done.

I have NEVER had to replace a clutch, so I've been lucky. (This is in 4x4 jeeps, trucks and cars)

In fact, my 1968 Cj-5 which has been all over the western US still on it's orginal running gear. All orginal. The new owner is having a blast with it in WY. Decided to sell it after owning it since 1973!

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Maybe its cause the manufacturers that make good engines also use more manual transmissions.

I think more people junk a car with a bad automatic tranny because of the high costs of a new tranny. On a manual you just put in a new clutch and away you go.

quote:

Originally posted by steveh:
I think more people junk a car with a bad automatic tranny because of the high costs of a new tranny. On a manual you just put in a new clutch and away you go.

You've never owned a manual Saab I see. Worst transmission ever. Great car... worst transmission ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back