Manual Transmission Sales Are Up Again This Year

There was a time when there were lots of little cars with well under 100 bhp that were transformed into entertaining machines by the magic of a four or five speed gearbox.
I'm thinking of our old seventies and eighties Civics or even the '67 Toyota Corona we had for a time.
Even the later Accords we had were surprisingly lacking in rated power but were great with a five speed, like my 130 bhp '97 Accord LX coupe or the '99 LX four door we bought new with all of 150 bhp with VTEC.
Sticks were common on the lots then and people knew how to drive one.
Times have changed and maybe not for the better.
One condition under which a manual is absolutely better than any automatic is two-lane passing. You select the appropriate gear and it stays there with no unwanted surprises mid-pass. If an upshift is needed, you already know that and any experienced driver can make a lightening fast change.
Absolutely correct! I had two of the '70's and '80's Civics you mentioned (a 1978 Civic hatchback and a1986 4-door Civic) that were both fun to drive with the 5-speed manual. We also had a '91 Accord with the 5-speed that was also a lot of fun to drive. None were hot rods with 65 hp, 76 hp or 130 hp, but they had decent acceleration and were the best handling cars I've ever owned. Today I have a 2000 Saturn with the 5-speed that is almost as fun to drive. It has a bit more power at 100 hp than that old '86 Civic had, but it doesn't handle as well, although it's certainly good enough - not a hot rod either but it moves along just fine. I'm sure glad it doesn't have one of the infamous slushbox automatics most Saturns had back in the day.

One thing I like about most manual clutches and trannies is that they are much simpler than automatic trannies. There's much less to go wrong, and if they are properly designed and not abused they will last the entire life of the vehicle and maybe even beyond that! Well, the tranny at least anyway - maybe not the clutch.

Yep, times have changed. These days you pretty much need to get a small sports car to have a reasonable chance of getting a manual in a newer vehicle - like a Mazda Miata, Mini Cooper or similar.

Oh man, here we go again about the superiority of the older generations vs the young ones.

Let me ask you baby boomers and gen Xers, who popularized the automatic transmission? It was your generations.

It’s quite hilarious watching you guys pint fingers, but you’re not an better.

Though I actually agree with you on this point.

I learned to drive a stick shift… Very glad I did.

However….

And it was just starting in my generation…

Parents got to be stupid and too soft with their children… The parents were wanting to be “ friends” with their children.

Which is why so many of these younger people don’t know how to act right or be respectful to others….

The “ child worship “ nonsense started by people of my generation ARE the problem.

I’m 48… It’s people my age who have dropped the ball and the next generation after mine is worse.

Are there good legitimate parents and younger children/ teens/ early 20s people out there ?

Yes. Absolutely. I have met some of them.

Sad reality is that they are the minority.

no it's cheap and a manual and gets decent mpg and is small

so with a turbo and some sticky tires it would rip
Give me a 15 year old 328i with a manual instead. Cheap, manual, gets decent mpg (32+ highway), and certainly rips better than an Versa.

Give me a 15 year old 328i with a manual instead. Cheap, manual, gets decent mpg (32+ highway), and certainly rips better than an Versa.
fair enough. it's not new tho.

if i had to buy a new car it would be the cheapest and simplest one because new cars are garbage

fair enough. it's not new tho.

if i had to buy a new car it would be the cheapest and simplest one because new cars are garbage
I’d have to with base Mazda3 hatchback. At least it wouldn’t cause me to hate driving. But the Versa is a good bit cheaper.

So strange this came up yesterday texting with my bro. He said there’s this bright kid in his office, early 20’s, passed 3 actuarial exams. Said his mom is 59 years old and needs to “get with it” as her car is a manual.

They somehow see it as I did as a kid when my dad opted (went out of his way) for blackwall tires on his brand new Oldsmobile wagon…somehow not up to snuff. 😆

I'm not "making them up" to be anything. This stuff is all over the place. All you have to do is look it up, or punch it into You Tube. Kimmel and Jay Leno have been doing this kind of stuff for years. While it might seem so, they're not staging this, or making it up. These kids are honestly that stupid.

These idiots don't know the simplest of questions. They can't name 3 countries on a world map. They don't know who won the Civil War. They have no idea who we fought in WW 2. And as I said, a large portion of them can't tell time on a clock face...... But they can name every Kardashian girl.

I wouldn't have made it out of the 5th grade not knowing what the bulk of these high school kids are at a total loss for today. And it's getting worse every year. It's no wonder why these kids are still living at home until they're 27 years old.

"The average age when people move out of their parent's home is somewhere between 24 and 27".
My wife’s cousin told us we’re not welcome at his home anymore.

He was born 1977 and lives with his parents. Has never held a job in his life.

I showed his text to my coworkers and they burst out laughing. His folks ain’t that old, 70. He’s waiting to take the deed to “his”house.

So strange this came up yesterday texting with my bro. He said there’s this bright kid in his office, early 20’s, passed 3 actuarial exams. Said his mom is 59 years old and needs to “get with it” as her car is a manual.

They somehow see it as I did as a kid when my dad opted (went out of his way) for blackwall tires on his brand new Oldsmobile wagon…somehow not up to snuff. 😆
That kid needs to learn that cool grandma's drive manual

Most people think everything is/was the best when they are at their supposed prime of the life. His prime is now so that tracks. He’ll be completely out of touch before he knows it.

Most people think everything is/was the best when they are at their supposed prime of the life. His prime is now so that tracks. He’ll be completely out of touch before he knows it.
I thought about it some more. I offered to pay for whitewalls with my allowance and he refused. Said white stripes are purely cosmetic and not spending more for them. I woulda even sprung for wire wheel covers, the epitome of luxury

Like you say there are times when we can’t fathom why others don’t get it. When we are in our own prime, we feel that way strongly

My Son has a 20plus year old BMW-very nice car when he's is not wrenching on it-which is often.
1st post-

My Son has a 20plus year old BMW-very nice car when he's is not wrenching on it-which is often.
I drove my 17.5 yo 335 coupe to work today, 6 speed manual. I don’t work on it often. The only major thing that failed was the ABS/DSC hydro pump. $249 rebuild at the time and some software and wrenches. It’s 8 years later, thanks Modulemaster (rebuilder)

I drove my 17.5 yo 335 coupe to work today, 6 speed manual. I don’t work on it often. The only major thing that failed was the ABS/DSC hydro pump. $249 rebuild at the time and some software and wrenches. It’s 8 years later, thanks Modulemaster (rebuilder)
Do you drive it often? If you don't drive it often-you don't need to wrench on it often.

1st post-
2009 328i here, 155k miles, owned since 40k, don’t wrench on it often. They aren’t all needy.

A lot of the rubber and plastic hoses and cooling system components were not long lived on the E46 & E39 generation cars. BMW seems to have done better with those materials on the next generation cars.

Last edited:
Back