Manual steering gearbox lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 77 Ford f700 with manual steering. I tried searching around and I get conflicting info on grease or 80w90 oil. It seems that 00 grease would make the most sense. What do you think?

I remember that my 1954 Ford sedan used 80W-90 gear oil in the steering box. Double ought grease might also work for that application. At our power generation facility, the Limitorque valve actuators used the 00 grease. Problem was, the units for the furnace soot blowers all leaked oil due to the very hot atmosphere. Operations people wrote numerous maintenance requests to repair them but nothing could be done. Oil from 00 grease comes out of suspension when around hot environments.

For something that old, I'd probably use John Deere Corn Head grease. It's thinner, almost semi-pourable at higher temps than regular grease and is not recommended for a lot of areas that take a regular grease.
A lot of people use it in gear boxes and report good results.

Originally Posted by Kruse
For something that old, I'd probably use John Deere Corn Head grease. It's thinner, almost semi-pourable at higher temps than regular grease and is not recommended for a lot of areas that take a regular grease.
A lot of people use it in gear boxes and report good results.

It looks like that grease is a 0 grade. One step thicker than 00.

I used 80w90 Gear lube. Armstrong steering, you really don't wanna use grease,. You're gonna have enough trouble steering it already

Originally Posted by andyd
I used 80w90 Gear lube. Armstrong steering, you really don't wanna use grease,. You're gonna have enough trouble steering it already

It is a chore. I often wonder about making it power steering .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back