Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Blaze
Astro,,, lets assume all on board are dead and the plane is at 35,000ft on auto-pilot and runs out of fuel...In what profile does this plane hit the water? Thanks

From a very limited knowledge of flight physics, I'd imagine that as the plane loses forward momentum, the auto pilot would try to pitch the aircraft higher and higher to maintain altitude. After a short while, it would stall and probably flat spin or otherwise lose altitude uncontrollably until it hit the water.

That's exactly what I think would happen initially...but it's what happens next that is unclear...

Near stall, the autopilot will either disconnect, or change to another mode. If it disconnects, a fly by wire plane will stay in the attitude at which the disconnect occurs. It's not a return to trim like older planes, the FCS will keep pitch rate zero, which means the airplane will fly near that disconnect speed. It should also keep yaw rate zero, meaning no slip and it should keep roll rate zero, meaning steady bank and a turn of unknown radius. The FCS on the A-320 will reduce bank to 33 degrees or less without pilot input. The 777 will use a multitude of surfaces to reduce bank to 30 degrees if it is exceeded.

But if, instead of a disconnect, the autopilot goes through a mode reversion to another mode, say airspeed, then what speed will it choose? Current Mach? TAS? IAS? Mode reversion in heading usually results in heading hold, so it stays in that heading....maybe.

This stuff isn't In the flight manual...and fly by wire (F/A-18, A-320, and 777) airplanes don't respond the way that older planes would.

The FCS on the 777 is prioritized for electric power. It would be energized on batteries on on the RAT, so it would be working after engine flameout...but the autopilot response is the key to answering the original question...but flat spin, spin, and even high speed spiral are all unlikely. Steady descent to impact is what I think would happen...but the precise nature? I don't know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Blaze
Astro,,, lets assume all on board are dead and the plane is at 35,000ft on auto-pilot and runs out of fuel...In what profile does this plane hit the water? Thanks

From a very limited knowledge of flight physics, I'd imagine that as the plane loses forward momentum, the auto pilot would try to pitch the aircraft higher and higher to maintain altitude. After a short while, it would stall and probably flat spin or otherwise lose altitude uncontrollably until it hit the water.

That's exactly what I think would happen initially...but it's what happens next that is unclear...

Near stall, the autopilot will either disconnect, or change to another mode. If it disconnects, a fly by wire plane will stay in the attitude at which the disconnect occurs. It's not a return to trim like older planes, the FCS will keep pitch rate zero, which means the airplane will fly near that disconnect speed. It should also keep yaw rate zero, meaning no slip and it should keep roll rate zero, meaning steady bank and a turn of unknown radius. The FCS on the A-320 will reduce bank to 33 degrees or less without pilot input. The 777 will use a multitude of surfaces to reduce bank to 30 degrees if it is exceeded.

But if, instead of a disconnect, the autopilot goes through a mode reversion to another mode, say airspeed, then what speed will it choose? Current Mach? TAS? IAS? Mode reversion in heading usually results in heading hold, so it stays in that heading....maybe.

This stuff isn't In the flight manual...and fly by wire (F/A-18, A-320, and 777) airplanes don't respond the way that older planes would.

The FCS on the 777 is prioritized for electric power. It would be energized on batteries on on the RAT, so it would be working after engine flameout...but the autopilot response is the key to answering the original question...but flat spin, spin, and even high speed spiral are all unlikely. Steady descent to impact is what I think would happen...but the precise nature? I don't know.

interesting! thanks Astro!

"The assessment by Malaysian and Australian officials underscored the lack of knowledge authorities have about what happened on Flight 370. It also points to a scenario that becomes more likely with every passing day — that the fate of the Boeing 777 and the 239 people on board might remain a mystery forever.
"Inspector General Khalid Abu Bakar told reporters. "At the end of the investigations, we may not even know the real cause. We may not even know the reason for this incident
.""
http://news.yahoo.com/malaysian-police-jet-mystery-may-never-solved-081440053.html

Well, even if the 'black' boxes are found someday according to what I have heard only the last two hours of conversation in the cockpit are recorded. And what if there is no conversation in that two hour period? It could be because everybody was dead on the aircraft or the pilot/pilots were saying nothing the final two hours.

We are rapidly running out of time for the batteries on the black boxes. And there is such a large area to search it is very possible the aircraft wreckage will never be found. Even if it is found unless we get very lucky it will probably take years.

CNN is going to have to find another story to cover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mystic
Well, even if the 'black' boxes are found someday according to what I have heard only the last two hours of conversation in the cockpit are recorded. And what if there is no conversation in that two hour period? It could be because everybody was dead on the aircraft or the pilot/pilots were saying nothing the final two hours.

True, but knowing how the thing was actually flown during that period of time (as in the data recorder) would be extremely valuable.

There could be valuable info like "background noise" on the voice recorder in those last two hrs. We still have absolutely zero idea what took place those last two hrs.

It is really making me wonder that not one piece of wreckage has shown up even with the tremendous search that has taken place with numerous aircraft and ships. Those aircraft and ships have now searched tens of thousands of square miles of ocean. Unless they are searching in the wrong places it just seems that some wreckage would have been spotted by now. Unless and until some wreckage is located I am going to leave all possibilities on the table.

The best bet is that this aircraft is somewhere on the bottom of the south Indian Ocean. But if this aircraft did show up somewhere else I really would not be surprised. There are major mysteries why if it flew south it was not picked up by all the radar around Singapore. The fact of the matter is the last probable military radar sighting had the aircraft flying in the general direction of India. And various former and current airline pilots have said that it might be possible to fly behind another Boeing 777 with the transponder and ACARS off and appear as one radar target.

I also wonder if various land areas have been searched well enough. The last anybody knew this airliner flew back over Malaysia. In order to then fly south like the satellite company said the airliner did it would have had to come close to Singapore and there are serious questions about why it would not have been picked up on radar.

Seems to me that if it did crash in the ocean somewhere, something from the plane would have floated to the surface by now. Seems like I recall that the seat cushions are supposed to be "flotation devices."

Given that the search area is apparently the size of Australia...or mainland US, floating seat cushions, assuming that they were disengaged from the vehicle and taken out separately

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's amazing is not one square inch of the plane has showed up anywhere.

I agree, and every time they think they found something it turns out it is not from the plane. I guess there is more junk floating around in the ocean than I thought.

Some nations just dump their trash in oceans.

xlarge.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Seems to me that if it did crash in the ocean somewhere, something from the plane would have floated to the surface by now. Seems like I recall that the seat cushions are supposed to be "flotation devices."

If the highjacking pilot was well prepared for the mission, he would know how to ditch the plane in the water and sink it as intact as possible.

Yea, he may have done a soft water landing in order for it to sink whole or as whole as possible...

Originally Posted By: Turk
Yea, he may have done a soft water landing in order for it to sink whole or as whole as possible...

Why? Hijacked the plane to take it to the Indian Ocean and go swimming?

Why would he care about the condition of it after a ditching?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
If the highjacking pilot was well prepared for the mission, he would know how to ditch the plane in the water and sink it as intact as possible.

For what purpose?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

For what purpose?

I would say to make it as hard as possible to find.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

For what purpose?

I would say to make it as hard as possible to find.

For what purpose?

Yes, to make it impossible to find out what happened.
I can only speculate of motives. If the pilot was the captain, maybe he wanted to avoid a stigma for his family?

Yes, to make it impossible to find out what happened.

Why? Because he wanted to give conspiracy theorists something to do?

9/11 excepted, airliners are hijacked because you want to go somewhere, or have people released from some prison. You have a plane full of hostages to keep you safe.

I really doubt he hijacked a plane to land on the Indian Ocean.

Much easier to just rent a plane if that's what he wanted to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back