Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to what was said on the news the new search area is not as deep as the old search area. The northern part of the new search area is apparently about 5000-10000 feet deep but in the bottom part of the new search area it is deeper. And the Air France aircraft wreckage was recovered in the Atlantic from a depth of something like 13,000 feet. Or since we are in the Southern Hemisphere I guess I should call the northern part of the new search area the southern part and the southern part the northern part.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
What are the current abilities to recover something deep on the ocean floor?

The Titanic is about 12,500 feet down. The Bismarck is about 15.700 feet down. Both were reached by the Argo, and the latter also by Russian built mini subs. (artifacts were recovered from the former, not sure about the latter.)

A lot would depend on where it is exactly, and the weather when an attempt is made.

Sully's plane didn't break up on landing. Landing on the Hudson isn't like landing on the open ocean.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Lieutenant General McInerney says the plane landed in Pakistan:

FOX NEWS

You mean he has a theory based on unverified "facts". I know I asked it the last time it came up. Explain just how it flew over Indian airspace unseen.

The General said it was dark over India at the time the plane flew over and it was flying inside the radar signature of Singapore Flight 68.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
CNN at its best...
fuxoxf.jpg

LOL....wow how did they know that?
lol.gif

The General said it was dark over India at the time the plane flew over and it was flying inside the radar signature of Singapore Flight 68.

The retired general can prove that?

The retired general can of course name the airfield?

Last edited:

Its not a bad theory. Several people have come out and brought attention to this. If you look up the flight paths it is kind of eery how they follow each other for awhile. Any good pilot can fly in formation. Military aircraft do it all the time.

The problem is, the radar controllers would have to be asleep not to notice a radar return the size of a 777 peeling away from SIA 68 on their radar screens. Besides, if that were the case and they did land it somewhere, somebody would have seen something by now. Unless they dismantled it and hid the parts. Or hid the entire aircraft (where?).

Originally Posted By: stranger706

Its not a bad theory. Several people have come out and brought attention to this. If you look up the flight paths it is kind of eery how they follow each other for awhile. Any good pilot can fly in formation. Military aircraft do it all the time.

The problem is, the radar controllers would have to be asleep not to notice a radar return the size of a 777 peeling away from SIA 68 on their radar screens. Besides, if that were the case and they did land it somewhere, somebody would have seen something by now. Unless they dismantled it and hid the parts. Or hid the entire aircraft (where?).

While plausible in the most unlikely sense, it COULD have happened. That would have entailed far more planning and the involvement of many more people on the ground. Something like that is pretty near impossible to keep 100% under wraps for very lone at all. Not to mention all those passengers and what they would have done with them. As for dismantling a 777? Also extremely unlikely. It would take a logistic framework of resources, highly qualified aircraft mechanics, high activity levels...and once again, many more people 'in the loop'.
I'm beginning to think we may not find out for a very long time what actually happened. Soon, the beacon will cease as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan

If all the details were known as proven facts, it wouldn't be intelligence anymore now would it? Everybody would know.

If I was to tell you that the United States has a weapon that makes intercontinental ballistic missiles obsolete and no longer a threat, and I had factual proof to back it up, somebody somewhere would be upset and I might not be around much longer.

So, what's his real point? As much as India would be upset about something unscheduled violating their airspace, Pakistan would likely feel much the same way. So, are Pakistani airlines no longer buying aircraft? Is that what he's suggesting, that they're stealing them instead?

What he wants us to believe is that a nuclear capable country needs to steal airliners for some strange purpose, or, alternatively, that the same country doesn't care about such flights invading their airspace?

Originally Posted By: Garak

So, what's his real point? As much as India would be upset about something unscheduled violating their airspace, Pakistan would likely feel much the same way. So, are Pakistani airlines no longer buying aircraft? Is that what he's suggesting, that they're stealing them instead?

What he wants us to believe is that a nuclear capable country needs to steal airliners for some strange purpose, or, alternatively, that the same country doesn't care about such flights invading their airspace?

You're forgetting about the Taliban and how much they're intertwined with the Pakistani military. And then you got the Al Qaeda elements too - I'm sure they would love to have their own airliner.

Until there was pretty solid evidence that the airliner had flown south it was still possible that the airliner had flown north. The general thought that either the Malaysian airliner could have flown very close behind another Boeing 777 flying over India (actually behind and a little above) with the transponder turned off and the ACARS turned off and the two airliners would look like one aircraft identified by the transponder on the other airliner.

Otherwise the Malaysian airliner could have flown around India far enough out to sea so that it would not be picked up on radar and flown to Pakistan that way. But various people said it did not have enough fuel for that. Pakistan would have to be in on it all of course.

Various airliner pilots were talked to and some said it would have been possible to fly behind another airliner with the transponder turned off and appear as one target. It probably would have taken nerves of steel. The airliner had enough fuel to fly over India behind another airliner. And there was an airliner flying over India at that time.

But according to the satellite company when they went through their data again the airliner flew south into the south Indian Ocean.

You're forgetting about the Taliban and how much they're intertwined with the Pakistani military. And then you got the Al Qaeda elements too - I'm sure they would love to have their own airliner.

Except that having such a thing in "inventory" of a terrorist organization isn't exactly convenient. They're not going to service, much less launch, such an aircraft from some mountain road. Also, if the Pakistani military were assisting a terrorist organization in getting a functional airline, wouldn't it be easier to do some from within Pakistan, and when needed? That would eliminate the "inventory" issue, and certainly not create the circus that we have right now or angering the Chinese unnecessarily.

It's too complex of an explanation for what we have on our hands. It sounds an awful lot like me going and buying an SRT so I can drain the factory fill and have a jug of PU because it's not sold at Walmart, rather than going and buying the oil from Chrysler directly - unnecessarily complex.

Unless and until they find some wreckage of that airliner in the south Indian Ocean I am not going to completely rule anything out. I have no idea how accurate this satellite company is in determining which direction the airliner flew. I think that there is probably something like a 90%-95% probability that the airliner is somewhere at the bottom of the south Indian Ocean. But if it actually turns up somewhere else I would not be completely surprised.

I realize they have an enormous area to search in the Indian Ocean but I am still surprised that no wreckage has been spotted even with a major search. They did spot some large orange objects that they are trying to find and check out right now. If they can, because the weather had become fairly bad.

They need to find some wreckage very soon so they can reduce the search area and then try to pick up the signals from the black boxes. With the equipment they have to find the signals from the black boxes they can search about 50 square miles a day. But the current search area is some 100,000 square miles.

It could easily take years to locate the wreckage of this airliner.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

If all the details were known as proven facts, it wouldn't be intelligence anymore now would it? Everybody would know.

If I was to tell you that the United States has a weapon that makes intercontinental ballistic missiles obsolete and no longer a threat, and I had factual proof to back it up, somebody somewhere would be upset and I might not be around much longer.

So, in other words, he takes unverified information as actual fact, and you buy it.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Except that having such a thing in "inventory" of a terrorist organization isn't exactly convenient. They're not going to service, much less launch, such an aircraft from some mountain road. Also, if the Pakistani military were assisting a terrorist organization in getting a functional airline, wouldn't it be easier to do some from within Pakistan, and when needed? That would eliminate the "inventory" issue, and certainly not create the circus that we have right now or angering the Chinese unnecessarily.

It's too complex of an explanation for what we have on our hands. It sounds an awful lot like me going and buying an SRT so I can drain the factory fill and have a jug of PU because it's not sold at Walmart, rather than going and buying the oil from Chrysler directly - unnecessarily complex.

Now now, don't apply sense to a conspiracy theory
smile.gif

It was "Fishing Gear" that was found.

Nothing, absolutely nothing from the Plane.

frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back