Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Still, we have to find the airplane, and soon, or we may never find these. You have to be pretty close to the crash site to pick up the beacons. Water severely attenuates their range, and the geography of a mountainous ocean floor blocks radio signals as well.

Even after the beacon stops transmitting, how long can the actual recording data remain intact? Is it months? years? decades?

Acoustic, 37kHz or so. Not sure why ultrasound was selected for that frequency as it's not compatible with most sonar equipment. Radio ways are not conducted in salt water except for extremely low freq.

This is comical that suddenly the "officials" are decreeing that the plane crashed in this general area off Australia, and all are dead....

...yet not ONE single shed of evidence points to that scenario.

On the nightly network mews one supposed expert claimed that ALL debris must have sunk by now from that plane. Bahahaha!

More deceit and distractions from the officials, gov'ts and
lame stream media.

Don't forget that CNN had ADMITTED that active duty DoD officials were on the staff of CNN some years ago. I would bet that they still have such operatives and they are at ALL major media outlets fostering the "official" story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Maybe even Section 31, the Tal Shiar, the Obsidian Order????

I'm just a tailor, so I haven't a clue.

We are opposed to video recording of the cockpit. That truly would be an invasion of privacy.

Agreed. The important thing are the positions of various controls and any alert status. That's what the data recorder is for. Videotaping the cockpit itself would be silly, not to mention a violation of privacy.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Videotaping the cockpit itself would be silly, not to mention a violation of privacy.

Silly yes. A violation, I'm not so sure. While there are areas not subject to being watched, like a restroom, employee lounge, locker room, there really isn't a "right" to it where you are using company equipment.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/right-privacy-work-faq-29112-2.html

Can my employer install cameras in the workplace?

"The answer depends on where the employer wants to put the cameras and why. The employer must have a reasonable, legitimate business reason for monitoring employees in this manner (for example, to discourage theft from a cash register or to enhance the security of customers and employees). And some states have made certain areas of the workplace (for example, the bathroom and changing areas) off-limits to this type of monitoring.

Even with a legitimate reason, your employer must inform you and your coworkers that the cameras are there. Also, some states prohibit the use of certain types of surveillance devices, such as one-way mirrors."

The best way to be sure would be to ask your state's labor board.

Another resource: http://employment.findlaw.com/workplace-privacy/privacy-in-the-workplace-overview.html

Given the age of the recorders. It may not be "erased" as much as "over written" because of the limited storage capability. In which case, the previous data would not be recoverable. The FBI may have formidable technical capability, but unless the expert who said this has seen the inside of a CVR, he's talking about something with which he has no experience. This might be a circa 1995 flash memory...So, while technically true in other instances, it likely isn't true at all in this case, and he becomes another "expert" with no relevant information to this case.

Question: is the CVR generally a "life of the aircraft" part, or do they get changed regularly?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Still, we have to find the airplane, and soon, or we may never find these. You have to be pretty close to the crash site to pick up the beacons. Water severely attenuates their range, and the geography of a mountainous ocean floor blocks radio signals as well.

Even after the beacon stops transmitting, how long can the actual recording data remain intact? Is it months? years? decades?

In the case of AF 447, there was still most of the data present after nearly two years on the ocean floor at a depth of 12,000 feet or more. So, years for sure, even under incredible pressure.

I honestly don't know how often the recorders are replaced. I imagine it's very infrequently, in case of a fault or to comply with increased regulatory specifications.

Originally Posted By: D189379
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
A flight deck voice recorder digitally records four audio channels for the last 2 hours. Audio older than 2 hours is erased.

Is there any particular reason they only keep the last 2 hours? Memory/storage is fairly cheap these days, even if it's some specialized memory needed in this particular case.

I think the pilot union was involved, as recording entire flights was viewed as an invasion of privacy.

Not true.

We are opposed to video recording of the cockpit. That truly would be an invasion of privacy.

If you really wanted to start making a difference, start recording every operating room, every hospital room, and every doctor's office. Medical professional mistakes kill over 100,000 every year in the US alone. That's at least a 777 every day.

You wouldn't mind that conversation, and your disrobed self, being recorded to be reviewed for mistakes, would you? After all, it's for your safety....

I'll just leave this right here....

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-23-recorders_N.htm

Uh-oh:

"Flight MH370: Pilot in wrong state of mind to fly - friend"

"Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah's world was crumbling, said the long-time associate. He had been facing serious family problems, including separation from his wife and relationship problems with another woman he was seeing."

Infidelity destroys relationships, now may have destroyed hundreds of others.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/air-accidents/news/article.cfm?c_id=665&objectid=11226334

What baffles me and I'm sure there is a simple answer but why can't they position these satellites and do this in REAL TIME. Do all satellites travel at thousands miles per hr or can they position a satellites over the target area (Indian Ocean) and make it stationary and simply take a pic and then have direct communication with a ship or plane that is already in the vicinity to check it out in real time.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Silly yes. A violation, I'm not so sure. While there are areas not subject to being watched, like a restroom, employee lounge, locker room, there really isn't a "right" to it where you are using company equipment.

I certainly agree that it's happening in a lot of places. Rather than get into the off topic political issues of that, I'd rather just state that the data recorder gets all the data needed, and a videotape of the cockpit and controls would be redundant, not to mention very clumsy. Excuse my potential ignorance on this topic, but wouldn't a forward facing camera be more sensible, at least showing what the pilots might be seeing (i.e. reduced visibility during a landing)?

Originally Posted By: Blaze
What baffles me and I'm sure there is a simple answer but why can't they position these satellites and do this in REAL TIME. Do all satellites travel at thousands miles per hr or can they position a satellites over the target area (Indian Ocean) and make it stationary and simply take a pic and then have direct communication with a ship or plane that is already in the vicinity to check it out in real time.

The short answer is no. That's asking an awful lot out of one satellite, to change orbital speed, orbital altitude, and orbital position, not to mention be able to communicate with some arbitrary ship in the area. My uninformed opinion is that they need an aircraft carrier in the area.

I think the problem is it takes days to go through all of the satellite images to find the debris. Then they report it, a plane goes out to find it, and it's moved somewhere else or sunk.

Even if the plane does find it, they can't verify what it is or pick it up, so they take a picture.

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me like they need a LOT more ships out there. Taking back pictures of unidentifiable objects in the ocean seems like it is going nowhere fast.

rkpl08.jpg

mrsa2.jpg

IDE_MH370_RecherchesOceanIndien.jpg

http://www.franceinfo.fr/monde/boeing-di...3733-2014-03-26

Most commercial earth imaging satellites use sun synchronous orbits, so that they can make useful images at visible light wavelengths. They don't "move" to commanded sites, you wait for them to make daily passes. And hope your area isn't obscured by clouds, or good luck w/ the panchromatic imagery.

Now, let's say with a 1.5m-resolution sensor (typical for older birds like IKONOS, I'm sure things are better now), over a 300,000km^2 search area (roughly what I last heard for the area off Australia), that makes for a composite image of say, 365,000x365,000 pixels (or a 133,000 megapixel image if you prefer). Now, filtering out all the random [censored] that's floating around, you're looking for a 40x5 pixel spot (if through some strange stroke of luck an entire wing detaches intact and floats).

This is, as they say, an exercise left for the reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back