Making the switch to Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, new in here and understand this is the best place to get true oil advice.

I'm looking to switch over to Synthetic from a Blend. Reasons are strictly for a reduced OCI to ideally once a year. Reason for Mobil 1 is I can get it for $4.50 a quart, which is pretty competitive for what I understand a known good brand.

2004 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8 with 85k miles. Manual calls for 5w-20 Blend API every 5,000 miles. I'm looking to get 9-10k OCI once a year. I'm in San Diego, so always a warm climate. 80% freeway driving, mostly cruising. I drive pretty tame to get better mpg. Car is in good mechanical condition.

What is a recommended filter for these conditions?

I'm going to use the Mobil 1 as I already have a case of it, but I'd be open to other suggestions. Is this oil sufficient for 10k OCI, or will I need an analysis?

Thanks for the input and advice!

Motorcraft filters are great, use the recommended one and Mobil 1/Pennz. Platinum/Amsoil/Castrol Syn. and you will be fine for 10k intervals

+1 on Motorcraft. A number of users on these forums have gotten to 10K comfortably with those filters. PureOne is another popular oil filter for 10k OCIs.

M1 is a perfect choice for a 10k OCI.

Hard to go wrong with a MC filter on a Ford. So convenient being at Walmart too.

I agree with others at taking a UOA around 7-8k miles and see how it's holding up. I myself am not sure if these engines are hard on oil or not.

You should use Mobil 1 filter since you already have a case of it, no need to buy any other filter, M1 filter is easily do 10-15k OCI.

M1 oil is good for 10-12k OCI easily with your driving condition, as long as most trips are more than 10 miles.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You should use Mobil 1 filter since you already have a case of it, no need to buy any other filter, M1 filter is easily do 10-15k OCI.

M1 oil is good for 10-12k OCI easily with your driving condition, as long as most trips are more than 10 miles.

My commute is 12.5 miles one way. 10 of those are freeway.

Do I need to consider extended filters at all? Does MC make an extended one? Mobil 1 extended are about $5 more than their normal ones it seems.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I think it is very possible, but I would invest in a UOA at 7-8mo/7500mi or so and go from there. With 80% highway MC 5w20 would probably do it.

+1

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
+1 on Motorcraft. A number of users on these forums have gotten to 10K comfortably with those filters. PureOne is another popular oil filter for 10k OCIs.

Pfft.
I just saw a used oil analysis using a puro classic with 7500 miles and insols were nothing. That means the filter was still doing a fine job of filtering.

OP
I've found that most in this forum seriously underuse their filters. Any decent name brand cellulose filter can easily do 10000 miles in a clean engine. The extended versions can double that.
As far as oil goes Mobil guarantees their M1 line can do 10000 mile intervals and unless the engine has issues or is getting what's called severe service there is little doubt in my mind that the oil can run that far.
Filters get more efficient as the media traps particulate which means the longer you leave it on the better it gets at trapping smaller particulate.
And honestly unless you plan on buying a long life oil and trying to acquire data on just how far you can extend the interval forget the used oil analysis.
In order for a used oil analysis to even be useful you need to get a few of them done so you can establish wear and contaminate trends and monitor mileage vs tbn/tan so you can get an actual picture of what's going on otherwise its like only seeing one scene of a movie and trying to foresee what the whole movies about.
I suggest 10000 miles runs on the oil and 15000-20000 miles on the filter IF the engine has been well maintained with a pcv that works properly and a reasonable degree of certainty of clean internals.
I know I'm going to get some feedback from some of the guys who feel that's running the filter too long however I don't care.
All my engines achieve very high mileages and don't consume any measurable amount of oil between changes and common sense tells me that the oil is in effect cleaner due to this practice.
Filter suppliers state their filters are good for X number of miles. Now if they didn't include some kind of "leeway" as far as mileage is concerned I'd expect a lawsuit or 2 because the filter had some sort of failure at 4999 miles and it didn't perform as advertised.
Couple those points with the fact that today's gas engines operate far more efficiently and fuel is far better controlled so I would eat my hat if a filter operated in a well tuned clean engine actually had enough agglomerated soot to actually impede its operation at 10000 for the lower tier such as puro classic or the orange can and 20000 for the top shelf filters such as the fram ultra or napa gold or platinum.
Be sure the air filter is in good shape and I'm pretty sure those filters can surpass the mileages I posted.
With oem's calling for 10000 mile changes and I don't recall seeing anything about a synthetic media requirement tells me that most oem's believe in cellulose media for that kind if interval.
To be honest I can't say that I've ever seen a filter I cur open on any vehicle I maintain that showed any evidence of media that would lead me to believe the filter was compromised. I have seen tiny specs of carbon between the pleats since when I dissect a filter it gets pulled right apart so I can get a real look at what's in there as far as any gunk,black bits of carbon or metal shavings.
I laugh at 3000 mile filter changes unless the engine has a known problem. A clean,properly maintained engine just doesn't produce enough particulate to compromise the filter.
I've seen some nightmare filters posted in this forum however on my vehicles with my service habits I've yet to see any indication nor evidence to the contrary.

1 extended service filter=20000 miles of cleaner than the alternative oil.

Disclaimer. I do not recommend my practice if the engine is known to have deposits or has had inconsistent maintenance.
Check your pcv every oil change. If the ball doesn't move around when tou shake it or you can't blow through it try carb medic spray or seafoam to clean it,or replace it.

K. Novel written. I was on a roll,sorry guys.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Hyde244

Pfft.
I just saw a used oil analysis using a puro classic with 7500 miles and insols were nothing. That means the filter was still doing a fine job of filtering.

OP
I've found that most in this forum seriously underuse their filters. Any decent name brand cellulose filter can easily do 10000 miles in a clean engine. The extended versions can double that.
As far as oil goes Mobil guarantees their M1 line can do 10000 mile intervals and unless the engine has issues or is getting what's called severe service there is little doubt in my mind that the oil can run that far.
Filters get more efficient as the media traps particulate which means the longer you leave it on the better it gets at trapping smaller particulate.
And honestly unless you plan on buying a long life oil and trying to acquire data on just how far you can extend the interval forget the used oil analysis.
In order for a used oil analysis to even be useful you need to get a few of them done so you can establish wear and contaminate trends and monitor mileage vs tbn/tan so you can get an actual picture of what's going on otherwise its like only seeing one scene of a movie and trying to foresee what the whole movies about.
I suggest 10000 miles runs on the oil and 15000-20000 miles on the filter IF the engine has been well maintained with a pcv that works properly and a reasonable degree of certainty of clean internals.
I know I'm going to get some feedback from some of the guys who feel that's running the filter too long however I don't care.
All my engines achieve very high mileages and don't consume any measurable amount of oil between changes and common sense tells me that the oil is in effect cleaner due to this practice.
Filter suppliers state their filters are good for X number of miles. Now if they didn't include some kind of "leeway" as far as mileage is concerned I'd expect a lawsuit or 2 because the filter had some sort of failure at 4999 miles and it didn't perform as advertised.
Couple those points with the fact that today's gas engines operate far more efficiently and fuel is far better controlled so I would eat my hat if a filter operated in a well tuned clean engine actually had enough agglomerated soot to actually impede its operation at 10000 for the lower tier such as puro classic or the orange can and 20000 for the top shelf filters such as the fram ultra or napa gold or platinum.
Be sure the air filter is in good shape and I'm pretty sure those filters can surpass the mileages I posted.
With oem's calling for 10000 mile changes and I don't recall seeing anything about a synthetic media requirement tells me that most oem's believe in cellulose media for that kind if interval.
To be honest I can't say that I've ever seen a filter I cur open on any vehicle I maintain that showed any evidence of media that would lead me to believe the filter was compromised. I have seen tiny specs of carbon between the pleats since when I dissect a filter it gets pulled right apart so I can get a real look at what's in there as far as any gunk,black bits of carbon or metal shavings.
I laugh at 3000 mile filter changes unless the engine has a known problem. A clean,properly maintained engine just doesn't produce enough particulate to compromise the filter.
I've seen some nightmare filters posted in this forum however on my vehicles with my service habits I've yet to see any indication nor evidence to the contrary.

1 extended service filter=20000 miles of cleaner than the alternative oil.

Disclaimer. I do not recommend my practice if the engine is known to have deposits or has had inconsistent maintenance.
Check your pcv every oil change. If the ball doesn't move around when tou shake it or you can't blow through it try carb medic spray or seafoam to clean it,or replace it.

K. Novel written. I was on a roll,sorry guys.

NOBODY in their right mind would follow these recommendations!! Overstated and asking for sludge and engine issues.

Yes KN filters are good for 10k but over kill. Fram Tough Guards are more than enough for your once per year 10k intervals. 20k and two years is possible on some engines and filter combos.

Originally Posted By: Dusto

2004 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8 with 85k miles. Manual calls for 5w-20 Blend API every 5,000 miles.

Does it mention 5W-30 as an alternate by any chance?

Use a quality oil filter like Motorcraft, Mobil , or PureOne and you will be fine for 10k miles with that oil and filter combo

I have been doing 10K OCIs with various M1 oils and many differant filters for 35 years. Have put 300K and more with some engines with never a lube problem and all engines have stayed very clean. I have been using MC filters for quite a while now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back