Maintenance required light

Was just handed an ‘05 Camry four banger with the maintenance light on.
I asked about an owners manual, and was told no.
Is anyone familiar with the reset procedure?

Memory says start the car, turn the tripometer to A (or B) and shut the car off. Hold the tripometer in while starting the car and it should reset.

Set the odometer to either Trip A (for some cases) or the odometer readout - a bit of trial and error as far as which does it, but ours all use Trip A.

Then turn the ignition off and then, holding the odometer button, turn ignition to position 2 (the light check position/ "ON" where warning lights come on but the car isn't started), and you should see a series of dashes - - - - - sequentially flash 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Then the MAINT REQD light should flash and turn off (then you can release the odometer button). If that doesn't work try doing the above on Trip A, Trip B, or ODO screens, one of the three should do it.

Thanks for all. Ball peen hammer sounded real good, but all the warning lights have to be operative and OFF to be eligible for emissions testing and subsequent licensing here in Illinoistan.
Memory recall isn’t what it was. I serviced one like this for ten years when it was new!
Got confused with some of the newer Toyota models that I service now.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for all. Ball peen hammer sounded real good, but all the warning lights have to be operative and OFF to be eligible for emissions testing and subsequent licensing here in Illinoistan.
Memory recall isn’t what it was. I serviced one like this for ten years when it was new!

Thanks guys.
Glad Leo and others could help. Newer Toyota’s at work are slightly different. 🍺🍺🇺🇸🇨🇦👍

Not sure about your situation or vehicle, but I have one of these that I can plug in and use my phone to report codes and reset the check engine light. Pretty handy device.
FIXD OBD2 Scanner

Oh, I scanned with no problem. There was no CEL to cancel, the maintenance required light just came on to indicate time/miles for an oil change.

Set the odometer to either Trip A (for some cases) or the odometer readout - a bit of trial and error as far as which does it, but ours all use Trip A.

Then turn the ignition off and then, holding the odometer button, turn ignition to position 2 (the light check position/ "ON" where warning lights come on but the car isn't started), and you should see a series of dashes - - - - - sequentially flash 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Then the MAINT REQD light should flash and turn off (then you can release the odometer button). If that doesn't work try doing the above on Trip A, Trip B, or ODO screens, one of the three should do it.
Worked like a charm.
Youtube videos helped too.
Thanks again all.

Thanks guys.
Even a maintenance reminder? That's kind of crazy.

So if a car came in with a "Change Oil Soon" message simply because the OLM was below 10%, it would fail emissions or be ineligible for licensing?

Even a maintenance reminder? That's kind of crazy.

So if a car came in with a "Change Oil Soon" message simply because the OLM was below 10%, it would fail emissions or be ineligible for licensing?
Welcome to Illinoistan.

VW years ago had an change O2 sensor flag. Now that's crazy. It was so long ago I forget how to do it but it could not be reset electronically it was a mechanical flag connected to the odometer and required taking some stuff apart.

Back