Maintenance record keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own three cars and I'm finding it more difficult to keep track of the maintenance schedule and repairs that I perform. I was curious as to what you guys use to keep track of everything (software, spreadsheet, paper...etc) or any tips that you could offer. I do all the repairs and maintenace myself unless it's a warranty problem.

Mike

i just use ms WORD on a floppy disc, I put Mileage, date, what I did, and when I am done I print a sheet for the glove box, and just add to it at the next maintenance. Works quite well for me.

quote:

Originally posted by bsdbytes:
I was curious as to what you guys use to keep track of everything (software, spreadsheet, paper...etc) or any tips that you could offer. Mike

I'm become a minimalist when it comes to maintenance records. I make brief notes with date and milage in the back of the owners manual, adding blank pages if necessary.

If the maintenance is described in the owners manual, I refer to that.

Example:
4 Jan 04 12,547 miles: 15,000 mile maint plus new framestat and muffler bearings.

Now that I have a Corvette, I'll probably go back to my old system which was:
Keep a three ring binder with the pages in chronological order and receipts taped to pages at the right date, intructions and warranties for new accessories also go in the binder, also in chronological order. The three ring binder approach also makes it easy to keep any sort of notes, pictures, what to look out for next time, tools required, etc.

Both systems have one thing in common, they are quick and easy so they are more likely to actually get done.

I don't use a computer based system because it's a bit more hassle to do and is therefore less likely to get done. If you are being thorough, you also need a system to store paper, so the computer can't do the whole job anyway.

The most important thing is to pick a system you will actually use and stick with. I find for me that if it requires much extra work to record maintenance and file away important paper work, it doesn't get done.

As long as you file away the information in -any- retrievable form, you will find the time to recover the data if you need it. If you don't file or record it someplace, then it is lost forever.

[ January 04, 2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

Years ago (actually decades ago), NAPA offered a small pamphlet style vehicle service log that was convenient. I searched for a replacement, but found none, so I whipped up one of my own. It's a simple do-it-yourself log, in Microsoft Word, that's pamphlet style in the size of a typical road map for convenient glovebox storage. There's a link to a site where you can download it in this post: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000074

Well, I only have one car to worry about, so it's easier because I can remember the regular maintenance intervals. Apart from that, I keep a spreadsheet with all the maintenance done thus far and all the modifications performed. I also keep a copy of it on my Palm so that I can access it whenever I want.

I also just use Word. I just create a 4 column Table with the column labels : "Item..Milage..Date..Details" I just use one document and use separate tables for different cars. I keep track of 6 cars. I backup the information on a flopy. I just keep all of the receipts in a plastic bag. Some cars take the same filters. I make notations on which oil and filter is in the "Details" column.

Should a warranty claim arise I make no attempt to give them the actual oil or filter receipt which went in. But if its receipts they want-Its receipts they'll get
grin.gif

This is a great solution: Mileage Book Log My local Office Max has something very similar for about $4 - I'd recommed you get yours from there.

My friendly neighborhood Mazda dealer will stamp my book as long as I bring in the proof of purchases so I'm covered from a warrranty perspective without having to keep a bunch of paper around.

[ January 04, 2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Randy ]

I use one of those cheap spiral note books that I keep in the glove box.
I think it cost me .99 and is like 3" X 4"
In the front I have oil changes. I write down the date and mileage. 10 pages in I have the routine things like and brake fluid changes, fuel filter, air filter, radiator flushes, wiper blades things like that. With them I just write service/date/mileage.
About 20 more pages in I put the medium term stuff like light bulbs, Brake pads, rotor replacement, tires, timing belts and a few pages after that I have long term items like battery, struts and shocks, radiator, and things that are suppose to last at least 5 years/100K miles after replacement. Same style Part/date/mileage.
I have a folder at home that I put all my receipts in to back up the note book.
It is so easy to quickly look up what was done, when and what needs to be done.

Whenever I get a new car I go to Grand and Toy and pick up one of those thick black hardcover accounting books, and then I split it off into different sections, one just for oil changes, one for maintenance and repairs and one to keep track of when I do any detailing (waxing, etc.) I used to keep my MPG records in there too but I find it easier to keep it in a word file on my computer instead.

Years ago I bought a used police car. In the glove box I found a small spiral notebook (like ALS mentioned). This book had the unit number on the cover in magic marker. The front page included the year & VIN along with all of the components that were added to the vehicle (light bar, flashing headlights, 2-way radios, etc...) and the date the vehicle was placed into service. All of the pages after this were maint. This included everything that was ever done to the car, date, and mileage. THis book was very detailed, right down to when there was a chip repaired in the windshield. I bought the car at 152,000 miles and there was still over half of the book left.

I write the milage on the oil filter when I change the oil and filter.

As for other things like plugs and air filters. I remember when I changed the plugs and replace the airfilter as necessary.

I write down the mileage when I last changed the oil and leave it in the glovebox...other than that I just change it when it looks dirty.
grin.gif

i keep it all in my head. and reciepts in the glove box.
i dont see a point in keeping a maintence log, unless you have a waranty still.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
i keep it all in my head. and reciepts in the glove box.
i dont see a point in keeping a maintence log, unless you have a waranty still.

It's interesting to have though. I still have a lot of the old maintenance books from cars I used to own and once in a while I look back at them just to see how my oil change habits used to be.

I went high tech a few years ago and store everything in my Palm. Download to CD after each entry and any paper items like receipts get scanned in also. I do the same for any fuel purchases too. Last car I sold had the CD in the glove box. The buyer was stunned. Next one will have UOA pdfs too
grin.gif

patriot.gif
Certainly some fine suggestions given above. I don't have a memory like cryptokid so I need a running record of the 3 vehicles I service and maintain. I selected a spredsheet template in Word and highly modified it to suit my needs by changing column widths and column headings. For each vehilce I have a lubrication service log and a maintenance & repair log. After either service on either of the vehicles I can then print it out and have an up to date copy of the current and past services on the car or truck. I back up all my work on CD-RW, using Roxio.

[ January 05, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: krholm ]

I downloaded a free program from the Pennzoil site several years ago, called AutoTracker. It isn't there anymore. I also keep a looseleaf binder with accounting type pages, at the top I label columns with recommended intervals for oil & filter, air filter, timing belt, etc. I can look at a glance and see the last time it was done. First column is date and mileage.

John

I'm very old-fashioned- I use a pocket-size spiral notebook & a ball point pen. It's in the glove box, so it's always handy. And it never locks up or crashes!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back