Maintenance Doseage of Techron

I keep hearing...if you have direct injection, your problem is the valves, but I'll tell you...people are having injector issues too. Top tier fuel is all I keep hearing on the GM truck forums...that and Techron. I do the top tier fuel, but not the Techron. That's going to change (having my first injector issue now). Cylinder 5 misfire. -25 fuel trim, loss of fuel economy. Something did this for two weeks. On and off. Intermittent. Pulled the plug, looks good. Switched the coils, still number five.

Seems "ok" now. Keep hearing...run some Techron through it. I'm going to.

PEA doesn't completely burn during combustion that's the reason it's considered to be the king among gasoline detergents, Since high pressure direct injectors are exposed to the combustion process they are subject to build up just like anything else in the combustion chamber. Dual fuel injection is a great idea in theory but now you've got twice as many injectors, two different fuel delivery systems and even more crap clogging up the engine bay. I plan on using a can of CRC GDI Intake valve and Turbo cleaner before every oil change , If I had one of those fancy misters they use in the shops I could use any number of professional GDI valve cleaning products or more DIY products that are already approved for cleaning the intake via a vacuum line like Gumout Multi-sytem or Seafoam, etc or even use full strength techron, it's not how it's recommended to be used but I'm sure it'd do a good job cleaning deposits off the valves. I was thinking about using extra additives in the gasoline because even top tier gas like what they have at Chevron only has like 400ppm of PEA in it, I figured that adding some from a bottle would be a lot higher concentration, but I have no idea of the specific chemical properties of the polyetheramines used in any additives to do stoichiometric conversions all I know is that the PEA is about 30% by weight in Techron Concentrated but without knowing the exact polymer used I don't know the weight per mole to estimate the particle concentration of 4 oz of Techron diluted in ~18gal of fuel.

Originally Posted by Railrust
I keep hearing...if you have direct injection, your problem is the valves, but I'll tell you...people are having injector issues too. Top tier fuel is all I keep hearing on the GM truck forums...that and Techron. I do the top tier fuel, but not the Techron. That's going to change (having my first injector issue now). Cylinder 5 misfire. -25 fuel trim, loss of fuel economy. Something did this for two weeks. On and off. Intermittent. Pulled the plug, looks good. Switched the coils, still number five.

Seems "ok" now. Keep hearing...run some Techron through it. I'm going to.

I would think a dirty injector would reduce flow/spray into the combustion chamber and would produce a lean condition but maybe you've got deposits/varnish inside the injector that's keeping the injector from closing? Trav would know more about this than i do... but if the Techron doesn't solve your problem, move the injector to another cylinder and see if the misfire follows..if it doesn't, than it's likely NOT your injector causing the misfire. But i would not be surprised if it is...

Btw, Berryman's would also work well, maybe even better, for cleaning up any varnish or debris on the inside of the injector body though that's not to say that Techron system cleaner concentrate isn't a very effective all around cleaner.

Last edited:
*Curious if using TC-W3 along with Top Tier gas can even slightly help keep intake valves clean ?
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by nascarnation
These are direct cylinder injection, right? I thought the additives were mostly for intake valve deposits from manifold injection?

Correct, I haven't seen anything that says PEA is actually helpful in GDI.

I do, however - run TCW-III 2-cycle oil at 640:1 (1 oz per 5 gallons) in my GDI 2.4L Kia Optima to help keep things lubed and clean.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Anyone who's buying Techron concentrate, check the Amazon prices for the 1-quart bottle. It's way cheaper (per volume) than the 12- or 20-ounce bottles.
Techron concentrate 1-quart

Was it on sale a few days ago, because I'm seeing it's like $13 for 32oz, which pretty much the equivalent price per ounce of the 12oz bottles at $5 and the 20oz at $8. The Quart bottles are a bit of a pain too, they seem to have restyled the bottle now and it doesn't have the dispenser nozzle on it so you have to transfer it to another container to dispense part of the bottle because pouring it out of the wide opening without the nozzle it all goes out really quick, at least that was how the bottle I ordered from Amazon back around Christmas was, It was on sale for $9 which was very cheap for a 32oz bottle, put the whole thing in my mom's Odyssey, so in 21gal of fuel that was about 1.5x dose , I'm not sure if running the Techron through it or replacing the air filter is what curtailed an excessive oil consumption problem she was having, it was burning off like a whole quart every 700mi, and the other day I checked it after like 700mi since the last time we topped up the oil and it was still 4/5 the way up the dipstick, which would mean less than half a quart of consumption. So either the techron treatment broke loose a stuck oil control ring or something or the dirty air filter was pulling the PCV under high vacuum and sucking excessive amounts of oil into the intake or a combination of both.

Back