Maintaining Warranty by DIY oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Big Jim, Polk, and anyone else here with DealerShip connections, my remarks relate to MY experience with MY Stealers on my car, and I do not mean for my rage to extend to all brands and or regions, even other Hyundai dealers.

I have a feeling Hyundai has bitten off a lot more than they can chew with these 10 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranties, and where the factories and dealers can make it up and get away with it, they will.
crushedcar.gif

I do not mean to insult those in the business here that aren't into such chicanery, only to caution the unwary against those that are.

My apologies..
cheers.gif

Quote:

I would like to add to the overall discussion that in my experience as a Service Manager that I was instructed by the factory to not question the oil change history unless there was evidence of abuse. If the engine was slugged up then we were to ask for proof of maintenance.

If you take care of your car, the question should never come up. If you don't take care of it, you're headed for trouble anyway.

Personally, I keep a log on a small spiral binder that I keep in the glove box. I don't bother with the receipts.

There is one exception to the above rule about not asking for proof of maintenance unless there is clear evidence of abuse and that is with aftermarket extended warranty companies. They seem to be able to play by a different set of rules. They will often send an inspector to verify the needed repairs and they usually require the maintenance records for review. I have had many of them accept a customer log (like I keep) as long as there was no evidence of abuse so that the maintenance record looke ligitimate. Evidently they don't have to answer to Magnason/Moss.

Good info. As XS noted, the extended wtys are a different animal, as compared to the mfr new car wty. The vendors can call them whatever they want, but the key thing is that they are not governed by the MMWA (which is highly protective of consumers), and thus, the vendor can slip pretty much anything they want into the contract. For this reason alone, EWs are dangerous and unpredictable creatures. I wouldn't go quite so far as to suggest that one should never get one, but they should be bought (and observed) with great care.

Quote:

EWs are dangerous and unpredictable creatures. I wouldn't go quite so far as to suggest that one should never get one, but they should be bought (and observed) with great care.

I got a warm fuzzy feeling about the GM extended service plan GMPP from the Corvette Forum. Quite few people have used it and as long as the terms of the contract were followed they didn't have many problems with it. It also had the fewest exclusions of any I looked at. Staying in comlpiance with it is basically to do at least the factory recommended maintenance and don't expect modifications or any problems traceble to them to be covered.

The other worthwhile bit of advice is to shop for best price online. They are available from some GM dealers at well below suggested MSRP.

Last edited:
I think they key is getting the extended warranty that is provided by the FACTORY (Ford, GM, etc.). Many dealers push a 3rd party plan because it's much more profitable. I once thought I was buying the Ford plan only to find out it was from some unknown provider. The factory has more of an incentive to treat you somewhat fairly on the extended because they want to sell you another car someday.

Also, the post about the dealer wanting to do warranty repairs is true. It's financially lucrative for them to do so. The problem is the factory's district service manager has to approve major repairs, and yes it's true if the dealer appears to be pushing through too much warranty claims they do get audit by the factory audit guys. Trust me, they dealership is more than able to rip you off by selling new cars, giving you a low trade-in amount, and charging you for non-warranty repairs. They would make everything a warranty repair if they could get away with it because it would bring in cash for the repair and the owner would be happy they didn't have to pay for the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back