Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Socket Set - Anyone have/tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been waffling on whether to plunk down the $ on this set, but have held back due to what I consider the relatively high cost. It looks niiiice though. Does anyone have any feedback, good or bad, on it? TIA

it catches very fine particles. ummm, dont expect to catch some chunks of metal or anything, but i guess it wouldnt hurt, I dont think i spent more than 10 bucks on mine. I hardly use it... i really dont know what to say.. i just say, every now and then i catch some metal, but not all the time, so i dont use it all the time

I use a magnetic drain plug. Most of the time when it lets go, the oil gush pushes it against the pan and I have to reach up and remove it. The plug cost about 3$

That item is a special socket wrench set for removing drain plugs. The magnet is for holding the drain plug in the socket. It is not a magnetic drain plug that goes into the oil pan.

Rubenstein's correct. It's supposed to prevent the drain plug from falling into your oil catch pan.

gotcha. good point.
pat.gif

I'd still be interested in feedback though as I do a lot of friends/family oil changes and doubt they will get magnetic plugs, sure drains, fumotos, etc. for my convenience.
cheers.gif

For the price of the set - you could buy enough drain plugs to treat them as disposable for the life of your car. Or you could buy an extra drain plug and just retrieve it from the old oil when you pour it in containers and use it again -only spend $5. Otherwise Fumoto values for $25 look way better to me.

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
Add a couple small hard drive magnets or similar to the outside of your socket and you can strongly magnatize your existing set.

True dat surfstar! That's the kind of BITOG 'frugal' mentality I admire.
worshippy.gif

Thanks everyone for the input. Clearly this set doesn't make much sense $ wise for changing oil on one's own 1-2-to-a-few vehicles compared to fumotos/sure drains. But it may make more sense for someone who does OCs on other people's cars. No matter, pulled the trigger and just scored one on ebay for $30.xx delivered. WTFlip, I'll get some firsthand experience with it soon.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back