Fixing Magnet to Plastic Drain Plug

So my daily has a plastic drain plug like this...

s-l1600.jpg

GM Part N° 55498782

The end of the plug is flat and I have a load of Neodymium magnets. I'd like to affix a magnet to the end of the drain plug.

I'm thinking of affixing the magnet to the plug with RTV. I suppose it wouldn't be a massive disaster if it fell off. It would either sit in the pan or get stuck to the pick-up.

Anyone able to come up with any better suggestions?

My suggestion is to not try and make a makeshift magnetic drain plug. Do you really want to risk something breaking loose and floating in the oil? And I don't mean the magnet, I mean chunks of the adhesive you choose.

My suggestion is to not try and make a makeshift magnetic drain plug. Do you really want to risk something breaking loose and floating in the oil? And I don't mean the magnet, I mean chunks of the adhesive you choose.

I personally wouldn't have thought a pea-sized blob of RTV and a magnet would pose any kind of risk. But happy to be told otherwise :unsure:

I'd think you'd have to somehow capture the magnet rather than think an adhesive could hold it onto the drain plug. The other thing is how large a field will this magnet generate? I doubt it would be able to pull anything outside the first couple of inches and only when there's no flow.

Not that I'm aware of.

I believe this plug was fitted in a number of applications in the US but only in one application in Europe.
Drain plugs are often a standard M14x1.5 - but I see that yours has no threads, so assume the oil pan is likewise. Yikes, now I see the problem.

Drain plugs are often a standard M14x1.5 - but I see that yours has no threads, so assume the oil pan is likewise. Yikes, now I see the problem.

It's quite a nice plug to use actually. You pop a 3/8's extension bar or similar in, push up, turn it 1/4 of a turn and it just pulls out.

If you put the magnet, make sure you use a "High Temperature Resistant" magnet.
Otherwise, it will loose the magnetic power in the hot oil.

How long does the blue O-ring on this plug last?

My oil has been changed 4 times now and it's still sealing. I clean it thoroughly every time and apply a little fresh oil to the seal like I would a new filter.

I will replace it next OCI.

Perhaps use a filter magnet?

I can't think of an easy way to do it on this application...

Back