Magnatec replacement...GTX FS or Edge?

I see you have a lot of Rotella Gas Truck......is that stuff worth the hype? I see conflicting info on it, and it's hard to find around these parts. Project Farm likes it though...
I haven’t used any yet. I think I put some in her daughters jeep Cherokee.

They don’t make it anymore. I just grabbed around 8 jugs of it from various Home Depot’s when they were on clearance. I’m sure it will be fine for my 5000 mile oci’s.

I haven’t used any yet. I think I put some in her daughters jeep Cherokee.

They don’t make it anymore. I just grabbed around 8 jugs of it from various Home Depot’s when they were on clearance. I’m sure it will be fine for my 5000 mile oci’s.
It's already discontinued? Hell...I just learned about it a month ago.

My engine seems to like the thicker 5W-30. The Magnatec was around the same...
I forgot to mention but the Castrol Edge I used (3-4 times) was 0W-40 too. I expected the thicker oil to be quieter. I put 5W-30 (instead of 0W-20) in our daughter's Civic and it sounds great and feels smooth-running with it.

Yes, I think oil wise it is/was good but their advertisement and marketing of it towards gas truck and suv didn’t go over so well. Basically a marketing flop.

There are threads on here discussing that
I must have missed them. Too bad, because I love Rotella products too.

I just bought some at Napa recently for $10/5qt. Seems like good oil that shears down/wears out quickly from the UOA's I've seen. Pretty much spent by 5k miles depending on the engine.
Interesting. My OCI is 5K. OHC with timing chains...would probably kill that stuff quickly then. :/

I stopped using Magnatec when they stopped making it a blend. I do have the new Castrol FS in my Buick but won't be using it again, consumption has increase over Advanced. At the risk of being pounced on I do believe the engine is a little noisier, maybe it misses all that moly.
I'm not surprised, if anyone looked at the VOA for Castrol FS, it doesn't look anything like Magnatec. Might have taken the marketing slot of Magnatec but that's about it. The VOA didn't really leave anything that wow'd me either, I don't blame you for not using it again. I might be wrong but it sure looks like it's "propped up" by a lot of friction modifiers!

And edge is getting very, very thin on the new recipe. Has anyone done a UOA lately on the latest Edge recipe?
Moly and titanium are gone/less than the Magnatec. Probably changing it in time for the latest Dexos cert.

Yes that's exactly it, but from what I've seen I'm not that impressed with the latest Dexos cert. Going to have to be impressive UOA's on that type of oil before I believe it's better. I know people will tell me that the VOA (virgin oil analysis) doesn't tell the whole picture. Not trying to be negative I'm just not that impressed with a lot of the oil out there lately.

I have been trying out Supertech Full Syn and advance full syn and I'll tell ya, my engine is just as quiet as Magnatec that I was using for awhile. Haven't done a UOA yet, but so far I like it. Maybe try that and see if your engine is just as quiet?

I'm not surprised, if anyone looked at the VOA for Castrol FS, it doesn't look anything like Magnatec. Might have taken the marketing slot of Magnatec but that's about it. The VOA didn't really leave anything that wow'd me either, I don't blame you for not using it again. I might be wrong but it sure looks like it's "propped up" by a lot of friction modifiers!

And edge is getting very, very thin on the new recipe. Has anyone done a UOA lately on the latest Edge recipe?

Yes that's exactly it, but from what I've seen I'm not that impressed with the latest Dexos cert. Going to have to be impressive UOA's on that type of oil before I believe it's better. I know people will tell me that the VOA (virgin oil analysis) doesn't tell the whole picture. Not trying to be negative I'm just not that impressed with a lot of the oil out there lately.

I have been trying out Supertech Full Syn and advance full syn and I'll tell ya, my engine is just as quiet as Magnatec that I was using for awhile. Haven't done a UOA yet, but so far I like it. Maybe try that and see if your engine is just as quiet?
Maybe I will. Not sure. I was gonna go straight to Edge HM since it's a "thicker" 5W-30, but the more I keep hearing about QSFS the more I'm leaning toward that. I can get that for a few bucks cheaper than Edge HM at my local Menards or WM. If it's THAT good at that price, it'd make it easy to try for a couple OCI's without my wallet saying "***?" :D

Maybe I will. Not sure. I was gonna go straight to Edge HM since it's a "thicker" 5W-30, but the more I keep hearing about QSFS the more I'm leaning toward that. I can get that for a few bucks cheaper than Edge HM at my local Menards or WM. If it's THAT good at that price, it'd make it easy to try for a couple OCI's without my wallet saying "***?" :D
You'll like it. I just bought a jug of QSFS 10W30 and a Nissan oem oil filter for my 300ZX.

Does anyone know if any stores will be clearancing their remaining stock of magnatec? If so I will stock up.

ahh ya the "thicker" Edge, forgot about that one! And maybe QSFS might be good, I haven't seen the specs but hey it's a crap shoot lately. Just shake the bottles good at Menards! Sometimes stuff has sat there a bit, mix up the additives!

You're in the same boat I was when all the "newer recipes" of oil came out and I had to make a decision.. Let us know what ya think of whatever ya choose, I'd like to know what ya think of the Edge HM or the QSFS..

Back