Magnatec replacement...GTX FS or Edge?

Hi Bitog's, I read here frequently, finally decided to register.

I've used Magnatec for the last 6 years....the syn-blend, and full syn. In every vehicle I've used it in, they're quiet, no start up noises, and no oil consumption. I love it. VERY disappointed to see it discontinued. I have looked through the threads but haven't really come up with a definitive answer. Is the new GTX Full Syn the direct Magnatec replacement? Or should I step up to Edge? I did notice people talking about the titanium additive disappearing from the GTX FS 5W-30, but nothing else about major changes. I drive a 2012 Nissan Frontier 4x4 V6, known for timing chain rattle on a cold start. My current Wix/Magnatec combo does NOT do this, and I want to keep it that way. Great site!! Love reading here.

Don’t quote me, but I believe the GTX full syn is magnatec Replacement
According to other posts here, and Castrols website, that seems to be correct. I'm looking to see if it's just as good as Mag since it lacks the Ti, or if I should step up to Edge. Also to note: My truck has 130k miles and is mechanically sound. I do not tow (yet) and this winter will be it's first full winter with me here in Michigan. I bought it this past March.

Go with Edge.
Kinda what I was leaning towards. Always gets good reviews in any vehicle. My local Home Depot has the black 5qt. jugs at a good price....Probably a good time to stock up on it. Guess I'm a Castrol guy....it's been far better than M1 or Pennzoil for me! In my OPE and other machines, I'm partial to Rotella products.

Kinda what I was leaning towards. Always gets good reviews in any vehicle. My local Home Depot has the black 5qt. jugs at a good price....Probably a good time to stock up on it. Guess I'm a Castrol guy....it's been far better than M1 or Pennzoil for me! In my OPE and other machines, I'm partial to Rotella products.
I've been using Edge black bottle since Magnatec was discontinued.

No, don't use Edge. My car has the same engine, if I'm not mistaken, the VQ35, and Edge is much noisier than Magnatec. I have a 5-quart bottle of GTX in my garage that will be going in soon.
Frontier has a VQ40....4.0 liter. What noises are you experiencing?

Nothing abnormal, just regular engine "sound". With Edge, it was definitely more noticeable but with Magnatec, it clearly quieter.
Got it. They're known for timing noise on cold start. A lot of that has to do with filter drainback valve though. Would the High Mileage Edge have any benefit over the standard black bottle Edge?

I don't use high-mileage oils so I really can't say on that part.

Looking at Castrol's website, they still refer to GTX Magnatec (black bottle) as well as GTX Full Synthetic (silver bottle - what I have waiting to use). That might just be for reference though... Walmart, for example, at least the one near me, has no Magnatec on their shelves anymore.

Found this:
In our efforts to continually upgrade our motor oil portfolio, we discontinued the GTX MAGNATEC motor oil line and replaced it with new GTX Full Synthetic.

I don't use high-mileage oils so I really can't say on that part.

Looking at Castrol's website, they still refer to GTX Magnatec (black bottle) as well as GTX Full Synthetic (silver bottle - what I have waiting to use). That might just be for reference though... Walmart, for example, at least the one near me, has no Magnatec on their shelves anymore.

Found this:

No Magnatec here either...got the last jug at O'Reilly 2 months ago when I did the oil change :( He dug it out from the back.

I’ve got one jug left, what’s it worth to you? (Kidding :) )
A05AF1D5-1A79-4FE0-A42A-BDF3A511F714.jpeg

I stopped using Magnatec when they stopped making it a blend. I do have the new Castrol FS in my Buick but won't be using it again, consumption has increase over Advanced. At the risk of being pounced on I do believe the engine is a little noisier, maybe it misses all that moly.

I stopped using Magnatec when they stopped making it a blend. I do have the new Castrol FS in my Buick but won't be using it again, consumption has increase over Advanced. At the risk of being pounced on I do believe the engine is a little noisier, maybe it misses all that moly.
Moly and titanium are gone/less than the Magnatec. Probably changing it in time for the latest Dexos cert.

Not taking anything away from Castrol -- bang for the buck -- QSUD is a super smooth motor oil and I would atleast give it a try once. If you like a really quiet engine. ;)
Ahh, Quaker Sludge! LOL That's what my small engines teacher in high school called it. I don't know anything about QSUD, but I like to read. Thanks for your input.

Wait, I thought you switched to QSUD 10w30! Or did you try esge and continue with edge?
Yep I tried Edge and after seeing all the perfect analyses with M1 lately, I grabbed a jug of M1 5W30 for my next oil change. I guess it’s just fun to try different oils.

Back