Magic Mystery Oil- my exp in the crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a 96 Kia 1.8 with 94,000 miles in Dec 2011 for $700.

I have no history.

When I went to change the oil I saw they had written 6/2008 in marker on the filter. The oil was black. I saw an oil change sticker on the top orf the window with the same date.I put in M1 10/30 and a filter.

I went through 3-4 quarts of oil of the M1 10-30 in 3 weeks of a 12 mile each way highway commute.
I had no leaks but saw black smoke shifting at high RPM,s all the time.

I pulled the plugs and they looked horrible, like they had been there since day one for sure.They could not have been worse. The electrode looked almost gone.Added new plugs

I read in planes they say to use MMO for 5 hours before an oil change. One car guy said in 300 miles he got higher compression.

I put 80% of the 32oz in the crank and the rest in with my gas 2-3 times the rec dose. I had it in for 7 days and about 7-10 hours of hard driving. Hwy and city winding it out more than I ever do.

On the last day I noticed that the black puff of smoke that was always there when I shift at (a high for me) 4000 rpm's was gone. I did it a few more times even at 5-6 rpm and it is gone.
The oil that was new and looked like it came out of the bottle the day before I added the MMO looked black.

I changed the oil today to a HM M1 10-40 from the 10-30.

I never noticed more power or a smoother engine as many seem to say but the car ran pretty smooth to begin with. The oil loss seems to be almost gone.

I was checking my timing belt and was surprised how clean it looked. (I wish I had looked before)

Here are some pics. Mileage now 97300
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.332350036813993.70773.100001169985072&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=332350826813914&set=a.332350036813993.70773.100001169985072&type=3&theater
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.332350036813993.70773.100001169985072&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=332350063480657&set=a.332350036813993.70773.100001169985072&type=3&theater

Last edited:
So is the above post virtual marketing for MMO or wut? LOL
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
So is the above post virtual marketing for MMO or wut? LOL
wink.gif

LOL... If I was selling I would have said I looked and it was all nasty and slugged inside, and that it ran better>>>>I never noticed more power or a smoother engine as many seem to say
smile.gif

I can't though

I put 16oz MMO in the crank (along with a measly 3oz SeaFoam. Idea was to 1. Blacken oil 2. Clean engine inside. Im sure its doing a good job!
smile.gif

Also put 3 ounces in the tank today

It sounds like you might have had a stuck ring. Typically, rings get stuck in stages, and if you catch it before it gets 'coked' and super stuck, you can actually free it up and stop the oil blow-by that makes it burn oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald
So where in your engine do you think the MMO cleaned enough in 7 days to eliminate the black smoke? What part?

Donald, I have no clue if anything even changed never mind what the MMO did.(I tried to point out saying I wish I had a before look.)
Someone here said I should share my exp.
Those are the facts, you are the jury (and you don't have to reach a verdict)

Originally Posted By: hate2work

It sounds like you might have had a stuck ring. Typically, rings get stuck in stages, and if you catch it before it gets 'coked' and super stuck, you can actually free it up and stop the oil blow-by that makes it burn oil.

I do think that's a decent possibility

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
So where in your engine do you think the MMO cleaned enough in 7 days to eliminate the black smoke? What part? 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 - PU 10W30 & Mopar
1993 Chev Suburban 5.7L - PP 5W30 & NAPA Ag
1988 Bobcat 843 w/Isuzi eng
**JUST SAY NO TO MMO**

>>>**JUST SAY NO TO MMO**

LOL... I didn't see that before. You may not make it on the jury,looks like your mind is already made up

mmo will clean ring pacs....but that seems a little soon.

maybe it just had cob webs in it
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: electrolover
mmo will clean ring pacs....but that seems a little soon.

lol.gif

I was trying to figure how long (while being scared of doing damage too) I'm not a mechanic and was scared of ruining any rubber seals or plastic stuff (if there even are any)
Keep thinking of clothes in the washer.
It seemed to me after 10 hours they are going to be as clean as they are gonna get;)

Like I said they said on a plane BB that 5 hours before an oil change is OK

Last edited:
my guess is lots of misfires with old plugs leading to carboned combustion chambers. New plugs and hwy driving burned the carbon.
I'm sure MMO helped some with rings, but I would not give it 100% of the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back