m1 vs pennzoil platinum vs castrol edge cleaning ability/seal conditioning

i know its hard to say which is a better oil like lubrication wise. but out of these which is better for cleaning ability and seal conditioning.

any ideas?

m1 regular syn vs pennzoil platinum vs castrol edge

PP or Castrol. I know M1 has a following here, and that's fine, but I can't wait to get it out of my 19 Sorento. Scored a bunch of M1 a few months ago, as I think many people here did. I'd been using PP for the first 3 OCI and never burned any oil. Used M1 and burned 1.5 qrts. in 5k miles. Drained and used PP. Didn't burn anything. 5k miles later, drained and used M1 again. So here it sits with a little more than 2000 miles to go before my next OC and it's already burned 1 qrt. of M1. Maybe my car doesn't like M1, but I'll never use it again.

PP 5W30 doesn't burn much in our 2.4L Tuscon neither does M1 EP 10W30. Never tried regular M1 so not sure but I like EP. It's now running Magnatec 10W30 and same results so this engine is not finicky about oil. Next oil change back to PP and after that I may experiment with some 0W40 against my better judgement ... lol

@rob1715
What Engine do you have in Sorento? It must be picky about oil.

as far as cleaning and seal conditioning I've never been inside the engine so we'll find out after 250K miles if this car lasts that long.

Last edited:
Can't say for the others, but M1 oils have kept my engines very clean for the last 43 years, and to date I have not had any engine that leaked oil around the crank seals or oil pan. I have had to re-seal a couple of valve covers, but thats about it.

it would be fair to suggest that one might be superior to another in detergent effects due to data from VOA and UOA reports.

Be careful about that conclusion as its not a true linear correlation.

By definition, a detergent additive is not a cleaning agent or solvent- it is merely a suspension agent and even then they only "slow' the precipitation- not stop it or keep things in perpetual flotation.

In that case, other things such as change temperature, completeness of drain and oil agitation immediately prior to the change have more direct effects on the OA reports.

It can equally be reported that ND oils allowing proper drop out also show reasonably clean ( in the sample proper) because all the "stuff" is still clinging to the walls of the machine. ( oil might have shown clean but the machine was packed full of crud)

They're all good for what you're asking about. Mobil 1 ESP is my favorite at the moment. I ran PU for a long time, prior to that Castrol, Mobil 1 and a boutique oil briefly. That's since I joined Bitog. Over the long term I mostly used either Mobil or Pennzoil products. Sadly Pennzoil disappointed me with PU and I moved on. If that happens with Mobil 1 ESP I might make another change. I found over the years being totally loyal to a brand is not always a good idea. Opinions vary.

They're all good for what you're asking about. Mobil 1 ESP is my favorite at the moment. I ran PU for a long time, prior to that Castrol, Mobil 1 and a boutique oil briefly. That's since I joined Bitog. Over the long term I mostly used either Mobil or Pennzoil products. Sadly Pennzoil disappointed me with PU and I moved on. If that happens with Mobil 1 ESP I might make another change. I found over the years being totally loyal to a brand is not always a good idea. Opinions vary.
Out of curiosity, how did Pennzoil disappoint?

Out of curiosity, how did Pennzoil disappoint?
PU was a darling back when they first introduced it, touted as one of the very best. Looking at the specs imo it was great. Fast forward to API SN, they messed with the formula and imo cheapened and lowered the quality of the product. I don't see the newest run of it being anything spectacular either. Others here who know more than I seemed to agree, in fact it was here I learned they messed with it. My point is, oil changes, so being loyal to a product or formulation is not always a good thing for an oil nerd.

PU was a darling back when they first introduced it, touted as one of the very best. Looking at the specs imo it was great. Fast forward to API SN, they messed with the formula and imo cheapened and lowered the quality of the product. I don't see the newest run of it being anything spectacular either. Others here who know more than I seemed to agree, in fact it was here I learned they messed with it. My point is, oil changes, so being loyal to a product or formulation is not always a good thing for an oil nerd.
For trouble and cost ? These days probably not enough separation vs PP even if that’s your brand …

For trouble and cost ? These days probably not enough separation vs PP even if that’s your brand …
That too. PU when it first was launched was something special to many of us. It wasn't as hard to get either. I felt PP was the lower level product, and never really wanted to bother with it. FTR I am not saying it's bad, it just didn't appeal to me. Then for some reason the perceived gap between the two narrowed, reinforcing my belief they cheapened PU, so I bailed. That's not to say I won't go back to Pennzoil at some future date, but with their current offerings, I'll pass.

That too. PU when it first was launched was something special to many of us. It wasn't as hard to get either. I felt PP was the lower level product, and never really wanted to bother with it. FTR I am not saying it's bad, it just didn't appeal to me. Then for some reason the perceived gap between the two narrowed, reinforcing my belief they cheapened PU, so I bailed. That's not to say I won't go back to Pennzoil at some future date, but with their current offerings, I'll pass.
Some said the pre Shell stuff had PAO from CVX … now GTL …

would it be worthwhile to say that if they were all the exact same price, then castrol edge would have an edge? or would u prefer to more pao in mobil 1?

PP or Castrol. I know M1 has a following here, and that's fine, but I can't wait to get it out of my 19 Sorento. Scored a bunch of M1 a few months ago, as I think many people here did. I'd been using PP for the first 3 OCI and never burned any oil. Used M1 and burned 1.5 qrts. in 5k miles. Drained and used PP. Didn't burn anything. 5k miles later, drained and used M1 again. So here it sits with a little more than 2000 miles to go before my next OC and it's already burned 1 qrt. of M1. Maybe my car doesn't like M1, but I'll never use it again.
My personal experience has been no change in oil usage between conventional Pennzoil 5w30, conventional high mileage Pennzoil 5w30, and m1 EP HM 5w30. Now I'm using m1 0w40 FS and it seems like consumption dropped a slight bit (half a qt in 2000 miles instead of closer to 1) but it's to be expected to use a little less with a 40 weight and temperatures have dropped for winter. This is my work truck with 200k miles. Switched to full synthetic at 192k miles when I purchased it from my employer this past winter. I've been driving it for several years though and monitoring consumption.

No comment on cleaning ability.

Back