m1 vs pennzoil platinum vs castrol edge cleaning ability/seal conditioning

would it be worthwhile to say that if they were all the exact same price, then castrol edge would have an edge? or would u prefer to more pao in mobil 1?
All of them would be fine I have no problem with any of them. The Castrol will be fine so will the Mobil 1 I’ve always leaned more towards Castrol but that’s just a preference I have.

All three brands do a good job there’s no doubt about but we all nit pick here hence why it’s an oil forum. Keep the change intervals consistent, that’s the key to a clean and healthy engine. Also pair it with a good oil filter such as: Fram Ultra, Napa Gold, Amsoil, RP and Mobil 1 to name a few.

You could try each oil brand for two intervals each and see what’s good by conducting a UOA or you can go by whatever’s on sale and has a rebate. You’ll find plenty UOAs here for a plethora of engines for a particular oil.

All three brands do a good job there’s no doubt about but we all nit pick here hence why it’s an oil forum. Keep the change intervals consistent, that’s the key to a clean and healthy engine. Also pair it with a good oil filter such as: Fram Ultra, Napa Gold, Amsoil, RP and Mobil 1 to name a few.

You could try each oil brand for two intervals each and see what’s good by conducting a UOA or you can go by whatever’s on sale and has a rebate. You’ll find plenty UOAs here for a plethora of engines for a particular oil.
What would you look for in the UOA to determine if the oil is doing a good job of cleaning, especially compared to another oil? What UOA values show this?

PU was a darling back when they first introduced it, touted as one of the very best. Looking at the specs imo it was great. Fast forward to API SN, they messed with the formula and imo cheapened and lowered the quality of the product. I don't see the newest run of it being anything spectacular either. Others here who know more than I seemed to agree, in fact it was here I learned they messed with it. My point is, oil changes, so being loyal to a product or formulation is not always a good thing for an oil nerd.
Yes pennzoil ultra is not it used to be in black bottle new updated is not that good maybe better than pp

What would you look for in the UOA to determine if the oil is doing a good job of cleaning, especially compared to another oil? What UOA values show this?
Waldo. If you can find him he will tell you all the secrets required to what oil cleans best and why.

Jokes aside. An UOA won't give you winner for which oil cleans better compared to another one, you're right. Unless you take identical engines and run them side by side in the exact same tests/conditions with different oil brands of the same weight then maybe you can come to a concrete conclusion when you open them up to see what's going on.

The most a UOA or VOA can do is show you the level of detergents (PPM) but that in conjunction with other variables (TAN and TBN to name a few) will not give you the full picture of what you want, but does add some colour to the "canvas" of curiosity.

And UOA like all spectrographic analysis is only a simple atomic rendering somewhat dissociated from a determination of any compounds present in the sample. Although people seem to like to think they reveal a lot more then they do, especially with the trend towards non-metallic additives.

Not as good in what way? Did it lose some certifications or approvals it once had?
Before the group 4 /gtl was used now it more gtl more than 60% little maybe 1-5 % group 5and see calcium is drop 2600 ppm to sn plus level 600-900 ppm now.

Before the group 4 /gtl was used now it more gtl more than 60% little maybe 1-5 % group 5and see calcium is drop 2600 ppm to sn plus level 600-900 ppm now.
Well you must be better at predicting the future performance of a motor oil based on an SDS or PDS than I am. I get stuck on what licenses or approvals the oil carries, I can't predict what you can after that.

Exactly. I would expect a uoa to appear bad if the oil is cleaning gunk out but you'd never know if that was the reason or not.

If I was going to spend money on one I want it to be under ideal conditions. For me a uoa costs about the same as as 1-2 oil changes. The only reason I'm going to do one is to check for coolant or fuel dilution which I don't expect to find.

I have used castrol and shell(penzoil) in my bmw and i think penzoil does the best job with cleaning, the peznoil gtl oils also turn a little yellowish which also looks cleaner/better. The castrol edge oils became almost blood red which didnt look really clean when i look into the oil fillter cap.

I also believe the penzoil gtl base oil is an advantage but others sometimes dissagree.

My bmw leaks at the rear main seal and it does so with penzoil and castrol so cant really comment on that, oil consumption was also about the same.

Without getting too superstitious about it, I have noticed PP and PUP turn yellow too and then then turn darker.

Last edited:
Without getting too superstitious about it, I have noticed PP and PUP turn yellow too and then they turn darker.
Yes eventually it will darken but i guess that also has to do with the cleaning that it does. If r run my finger on the inside of the valve cover the oil on my finger looks yellowish.

This is how yellowish my bmw n52 engine looks after 50k miles on shell/pennzoil.
As i said, with the castrol it looked like blood red.
When i got the car the valve cover was pretty dirty with some kind of light soot, i guess its combustion remanents because the pcv system was leaking when i bought the car.
When i look in the oil filler cap i can slowly see the walls getting cleaner and cleaning. Also the oil filter is full of soot like material, especially the first 2 changes.
This car had 15k ocis its entire life.
Now at 230k.

Attachments

• IMG-20200808-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20200808-WA0017.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG-20200808-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20200808-WA0022.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 145
Well you must be better at predicting the future performance of a motor oil based on an SDS or PDS than I am. I get stuck on what licenses or approvals the oil carries, I can't predict what you can after that.
Group 4 /group 5 /gtl which old pup used was better I did not predict it I have read in forum new pup is mostly gtl. New pup do not dexos approve.

Group 4 /group 5 /gtl which old pup used was better I did not predict it I have read in forum new pup is mostly gtl. New pup do not dexos approve.

I don't recall Pennzoil ever extensively using PAO. They used their previous high quality XHVI base oil, which was replaced with GTL after Pearl came online in many (most?) applications.

Gtl very is close to poa they change additive package and base oil which is better at cleaning . calcium additive is better and less corrosive then magnium additive higher calcium ppm and base oil contain old pup which group 4/5 make old formula great but new formula is not that great but still good for price . PP and PUP with new formulation is very close now before it was big difference both gtl base.

This was covered in this 2010 thread. Shell‘s Pearl GTL plant ramped up in 2012 with a stop/start here/there

Back