This is way cheaper than buying
Amsoil. The Mobil 1 cost me $20 cdn.
(4 L jug) a few months ago and I
stocked up on it.
wink.gif

The cSt @ 100 C went from 10 to 12.46.
The cSt @ 40 C went from 62 to 83.
cheers.gif

Cweed: Great job on the table, thanks!!!

2KBMW: I'm seriously considering trying an M1 brew of the same variety myself (my engine holds five qts, I'm considering a 4:1 mix). How did you arrive at the new HTHS number, calculation, lab work, other?
cheers.gif

Ekpolk. I just use simple math. The
HT/HS vis for 10w30 Mobil 1 is 3.17.
The HT/HS vis. for the 15w50 is 5.11.
For your mix of 4:1, 4 x 3.17 =12.68.
12.68 + 5.11 = 17.79. Therefore
17.79 divided by 5 equals 3.55. This
will give you an A3 rated oil.
grin.gif

cheers.gif

The table is growing
smile.gif
Included V-Twin VOA doyall pointed out.

ekpolk: glad you like it, i think its a good start point for a lot of people trying to make a decision on which viscosity of M1 to choose for their application.

Right now I am mixing 4 qt M1 5W-30 with 1 qt M1 15W-50.

I think I will go with M1 10W-30 + 15W-50 next because of their shear resistance!

Shannow:
cheers.gif

At my last two intervals i used a mix of M1 10W-30 and 15W-50, 4:2 winter, 3:3 summer. Not bad mix considering the oils are very similar in their chemistry, but I opted to run straight T&SUV instead once I got a hold of it, get about the same oil pressures as my summer mix. Btw, the T&SUV oil is very sticky, clings onto the dipstick like glue and sooo clean looking, makes me want to spread it on a piece of bread and eat it....
grin.gif

Thinking of giving Redline another try though, trying to find an oil that will quiet down my LT1 and provide the best protection possible.... I havent done a UOA on my winter brew yet, but i saved some to send once my kit arrives.

The sUS and CST viscosities for M1 15W-50 and M1 V-Twin do not correlate. The small difference of the cST viscosity from 17.4 (15W-50) to 17.7 (M1 V-Twin) stands in contrast to the rather large spread of the sUS viscosity @210 of 89.1 (15W-50) to 101.8 (M1 V-Twin).

Something's not right here in this chart with these particular two viscosities??!!

the data is taken from 2 diff sources, the cst@100 and cst@40, as well as HT/HS and VI is taken from mobil's site while the rest of the data is taken from posted VOAs, data i found via the search function of this site, and data others have sent me.

[ July 19, 2004, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: cweed ]

I understand, we need some help to correct this data though since there seems to be an obvious error in some of the numbers.

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
the data is taken from 2 diff sources, the cst@100 and cst@40, as well as HT/HS and VI is taken from mobil's site while the rest of the data is taken from posted VOAs, data i found via the search function of this site, and data others have sent me.

If you give me the correct data I can update the table, if not I'll remove the SUS @ 210 from the table, i dont want people to be mislead by the table and i didnt personally check the "quality" of the data when i posted it.

cweed, use this converter to get it right:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/margins.html

Go from the known value, cST or sUS and convert to the unknown. There are more inconsistencies in the table, i.e. 17.4 cST on the 15W-50 does not convert to a sUS of 89.1 as listed in your table, but rather to 87.6 and the M1 V-Twin with a cST of 17.7 (from M1 web site data sheet) would convert to a sUS of 88.8 and not 101.8 as shown in your table.

This seems to again show us how inconsistent oil analysis is. I believe the margin of error is so great that you can only take realle large deviations from normal values as an indicator for potential problems. I don't think that when we argue about a few ppm here or there that it has any relevance to reality.

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
If you give me the correct data I can update the table, if not I'll remove the SUS @ 210 from the table, i dont want people to be mislead by the table and i didnt personally check the "quality" of the data when i posted it.

Hey thanks for bumping this. I was looking for it again but couldn't find it. Meant to copy this for future ref.

I will do the conversion and post an updated version tonight. Also working on a couple of other tables that I will be posting in the future
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back