M1 5W30 EP for Severe Duty out to 5K miles ?

I have ran all my Hyundais on 5k intervals with synthetic oils. That including what the service manual would call “severe”. Which, imho, is kinda overkill the way the manual reads. 5k stays below the 6k OCI, and it’s easy to remember when to change it, always “on the fives”. The Mobil will serve you well.

Severe duty for my Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine is 3,750 miles (oil type not mentioned in owner's manual) ... Curious if using M1 5W30 EP if "severe duty" (i.e. suburban driving of various trip lengths) the milage could be extended to 5,000 miles or even 7,500 miles using again M1 5W30 EP with a Fram Ultra oil filter ? Of course , a UOA would confirm but just trying for an educated guess in a well kept engine using a top synthetic oil and oil filter to go past 3,750 miles ? *Also to note , Hyundai Service Manager was emphatic to tell my wife : "Any large city / suburban driving is ALWAYS going to put you in the "severe service" category - whether you get your oil changed here at Hyundai or any where else - just be sure to get it done by 3,750 miles".
I ran mostly synblend 5w20 for the first 100k at 5k intervals and had some minor varnish (which has mostly cleared up using synthetic at 3k intervals). I'm sure m1 EP would be fine at 5k.

That said Hyundai GDI engines will make any oil extremely filthy in just 3000 miles, I would stick to 3750 at most.

Good replies ... In the end , I'll save the M1 5W30 EP for the PFI vehicles I own . The Hyundai GDI engine will get a mid priced synthetic 5W30 oil (Valvoline Advanced / EP with a Super Tech 10K mile oil filter for a 3,750 ~ 4K mile OCI . It's just not worth it to guess or pay the extra cost of the M1 5W30 EP (which I used once on a long trip) . The Hyundai / Kia 2.4L GDI engines produce a lot of soot and are prone to fuel dilution so again - not worth the risk to stray with too long of an OCI .

If the issue is soot and fuel dilution you could always just dump the oil every 2500 miles and change the filter every 5000. The filter nor the longer-life oil will be a cure for either of those situations.
Or.... you could gasp, just follow the owner's manual and change your oil every 3750 miles with the oil the owner's manual recommends. That would be entirely too reasonable for a BITOG answer though. I can come up with a more complex answer given more time and coffee.

Good replies ... In the end , I'll save the M1 5W30 EP for the PFI vehicles I own . The Hyundai GDI engine will get a mid priced synthetic 5W30 oil (Valvoline Advanced / EP with a Super Tech 10K mile oil filter for a 3,750 ~ 4K mile OCI . It's just not worth it to guess or pay the extra cost of the M1 5W30 EP (which I used once on a long trip) . The Hyundai / Kia 2.4L GDI engines produce a lot of soot and are prone to fuel dilution so again - not worth the risk to stray with too long of an OCI .
At my local Walmart, both Valvoline Advanced/EP are more expensive than the M1 EP.

At my local Walmart, both Valvoline Advanced/EP are more expensive than the M1 EP.
it looks like Walmart has put M1 oils on rollback right now but yeah I just looked and VEP is $31 now for a jug whereas M1 is $27 for EP.

[QUOTE="I it looks like Walmart has put M1 oils on rollback right now but yeah I just looked and VEP is $31 now for a jug whereas M1 is $27 for EP.
[/QUOTE]
*Yes , same at my WM where last I checked the Valvoline Advanced was $31 ... Glad I have some in my oil stash when I paid $24

Back