M1-102 vs M1-103

My 2AZ-FE, 4cyl. Camry calls for the Mobil 1 M1-103 oil filter. I only had a M1-102 on hand, which fits on a 1UZ LS400. It also happened to spin right onto the Camry with no issues. The M1-102 filter is slightly bigger than the M1-103 oil filter, which is probably a good thing. However, the bypass pressures probably differ between the filter designed for a 4-banger and a V8. Are there any concerns about running a filter designed for a V8 on a Camry? Where can I find more specs about Mobil filters?

By the way, the M1-103 oil filter was in use for about 16 or 17,000 miles, and the car received a oil change with used motor oil. The filter, cut open, still looked beautiful inside!

Originally Posted by Deontologist
My 2AZ-FE, 4cyl. Camry calls for the Mobil 1 M1-103 oil filter. I only had a M1-102 on hand, which fits on a 1UZ LS400. It also happened to spin right onto the Camry with no issues. The M1-102 filter is slightly bigger than the M1-103 oil filter, which is probably a good thing. However, the bypass pressures probably differ between the filter designed for a 4-banger and a V8. Are there any concerns about running a filter designed for a V8 on a Camry? Where can I find more specs about Mobil filters?

By the way, the M1-103 oil filter was in use for about 16 or 17,000 miles, and the car received a oil change with used motor oil. The filter, cut open, still looked beautiful inside!

i only carry my oil changes to 4,000 miles can't risk damaging the AFM system on the v8

it stays clean though to 4,000-4500 miles but can't risk damaging a $3,000 engine because i did not change the oil

the size will not change anything much... 17kOCI is not great i would do much more often no more then 7k miles OCI

the car received a oil change with used motor oil.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit strange? Like putting on YESTERDAY'S underwear....why bother!

Many people seem to run M102 sized filters (Fram 3614 sized) on their Toyotas that call for M103 (Fram 4967 sized)….some even run the larger
M209 (Fram 3600 sized) without issue. I don't think you will have a problem running the oversized filter.

I have a few M103's left from my Corolla....I'm debating whether to run them on my Focus....it would be an 'undersize' but still a great filter.

Originally Posted by ammolab

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit strange? Like putting on YESTERDAY'S underwear....why bother!

Let's just say this isn't a car I'm too concerned about. It's a beater, not a keeper. I drained the oil at 15k for a UOA and I refilled it with some old oil I only ran for 5k in a Lexus.

As for underwear, you just have to flip it around.

Last edited:

Let's just say this isn't a car I'm too concerned about. It's a beater, not a keeper. I drained the oil at 15k for a UOA and I refilled it with some old oil I only ran for 5k in a Lexus.

Wow!!
And the reality is that this will probably work pretty well.
BITOG OCD be darned.

Well, there definitely wasn't any sludge in the filter. Didn't seem like 15,000 miles on the oil and elevated water in the oil hurt it too much. Perhaps most of that can be chalked up to good engine design. Nothing shiny in the oil or filter either. No check engine lights, no smoke, nothing extraordinary despite filling the engine with highly abrasive, piston rings destroying, cylinder marring 5000 mile old used oil.

Last edited:
The M1-103 is a very short filter. Like Fram 4967 and Wix 51396

Unfortunately, M1 doesn't offer a longer version of the 103, which would compare to Wix 57145 and Fram 4386

Are the gasket diameters the same between the 102 and 103? The bypass pressures are probably the same, at most negligible difference.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The M1-103 is a very short filter. Like Fram 4967 and Wix 51396

Unfortunately, M1 doesn't offer a longer version of the 103, which would compare to Wix 57145 and Fram 4386

Are the gasket diameters the same between the 102 and 103? The bypass pressures are probably the same, at most negligible difference.

So do you think I could run my leftover M103s in my Focus that calls for M102s?

Originally Posted by Imp4

Wow!!
And the reality is that this will probably work pretty well.
BITOG OCD be darned.

Ehh. I've been guilty of reusing oil, especially in a beater.

10-13 years ago I was running 5K ocis 5/10w30 in a 2.3L 05 Ranger (Mine), drain and immediately put in a Saturn S Series for 3K oci (dads oil burner), then whatever didnt burn went into the lawn tractor...

Worked out fine, the truck runs fine, the saturn was fine until wrecked, and the lawnmower body and frame rusted out (engine still runs though! Lol)

Back to topic, yeah, the larger filter will work fine if you have the clearance.

Last edited:
Not to proud to say that way back in the day that I regularly poured used motor oil into a rig that both leaked and burned oil to the tune of a quart every tank of gas. The fact that it was a long term loaner vehicle from an ex-girlfriends dad (he liked me better than her, lol) might have had something to do with it :)

Back