M1 0w40 vs Castrol 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been itching for my next OCI on my e36, I can't solidify the decision one way or the other, I hope you guys can help. I do short trip starts 3x a week and one 100+ one way mile freeway trip every 2-3 weeks, I'm curious to learn to any real reasons as to why one is better than the other.... I realize this question is going to be gas on the fire at BITOG, try to stay to the facts and keep civil please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best way to tell for your specific driving style and habits: run M1, get it analyzed, run Castrol, get it analyzed. I suspect you won't notice a significant difference, nor will the UOA reveal many differences.

Slight nod to M1 for the higher VI, but a slight nod to Castrol for the lower HTHS. Have you considered Pennzoil Ultra 5w40 too?

Use whichever is cheaper. :)

I'm interested in the HTHS, VI, and cold flow properties of the proper oils due to the frequent short trips, I don't think my light college wallet can endure the pain of 5w40 PU OCI's honestly. I was asking because both oils share a $25.17 per 5qt price at my local wal-mart, which is not a bad price by any means.

On a side note, what kind of mpg are people getting in town and on the freeway with a comparable BMW I6 5spd?

I actually have another as well, all paid for with my labor as an honor student.... all were bought very cheap and repaired by me except the Bmw, I'd prefer if you would contribute something to the question/forum and avoid criticizing my car collection friend.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I'm curious to learn to any real reasons as to why one is better than the other....

They are very comparable fluids meeting the same stringent mfg specs. Your engine will never be able to tell the difference between them.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm curious to learn to any real reasons as to why one is better than the other....

They are very comparable fluids meeting the same stringent mfg specs. Your engine will never be able to tell the difference between them.

I know the early non vanos M50 doesn't request anything specific like newer Bmw flat six motors, but there has been some delo 10w30 and 0w30 syn (local diesel distributor special) catching my eye.... and well the BITOG bug always will have you wanting more
wink.gif

They will both work and you will not know any difference. They will both flow well in your cold winters and work for your OCI. Get the one that is on sale if you have a chance.

I'd really like to see Castrol 0W40 gain more acceptance. I recently bought some for my WRX and will probably use it in my GTI for the next OCI. It has a reported 464 degree F flashpoint and looks like a true synthetic on the Castrol MSDS.

I don't think my light college wallet can endure the pain of 5w40 PU OCI's honestly.

Pennzoil Ultra 5w40 is available on Amazon and at some Advance Auto Parts. It's the same price as the others.

Brenden is in Minnesota, so a 0w40 seems to be the grade to go for. That disqualifies PUE 5w40.

Because you're mostly doing short trips, that would favor the oil with higher TBN, which would mean M1. (12.5 vs 10.0)

Fuel economy would favor the oil with lower viscosity at startup. This would favor M1 also. Edge has a KV40 of 79cSt, M1 has a KV40 of 75. M1 also has higher VI, 185 vs 169.

If you're trying to figure out which oil has better MRV, give up. Castrol, as always, doesn't list actual test results on their PDS, only the API allowable maximum. Mobil does list the MRV: 31,000 cP.

I think the M1 wins all over the Castrol.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
That disqualifies PUE 5w40.

Exaggeration, IMO.

Perhaps I was stating it too negatively, but the OP was only doing a comparison between M1 and Castrol 0w40's. A 5w40 would perform fine in cold start temperatures in MN, but a 0w40 would be easier to pump and save some fuel.

Viscosity specs for PUE 5w40:
KV40=80.7
KV100=13.2
VI=166
So it would be thicker than M1 at cold start temperatures:
KV @ 0C, 710 cSt for PUE 5w40
KV @ 0C, 563 cSt for M1 0w40.
(According to Widman.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Castrol Edge 0W40 is now searchable on walmart.com, you can even check store availability.

Yep, that's why I was asking about the 2 since they are the same price there and I don't see a lot of recognition of Castrol's 0w40, but I do wish they would share the MRV values for their oils...

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Castrol Edge 0W40 is now searchable on walmart.com, you can even check store availability.

Yep, that's why I was asking about the 2 since they are the same price there and I don't see a lot of recognition of Castrol's 0w40, but I do wish they would share the MRV values for their oils...

Castrol should market this process as "innovation through obfuscation", as that appears to be the process with their PDS's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back