M1 0w40 API SL + Napa Gold filter - Good for 7500 miles in my 1.8T???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting back to my original topic, I have changed my plans a little. While I am still going to run the oil & filter out to 7500 miles & get a UOA, I've decided to pass on paying the extra $10 for the TBN count.

The reason is because the oil I'm going to use is API SL M1 0w40. M1 doesn't make API SL 0w40 oil anymore, & knowing the TBN after 7500 miles of an oil that is no longer being produced would be useless. The SM formula would surely have a different starting TBN, wouldn't it?

ONE FINAL UPDATE:

I have changed my mind again (see disclaimer at end).

Since I am currently running M1 0w40 API SL & a Pure One filter, I'm going to take a sample of the current fill at 7k miles & run it as long as Blackstone says it's safe.

disclaimer:
wavinwayne reserves the right to change his mind without giving advanced notice. Furthermore, wavinwayne reserves the right to be wishy-washy, unreasonable, & downright kooky from time to time.

And has exercised those rights fully in this thread, bless his heart!
lol.gif

While I liked the 0w 40 SL I stopped using it are here because I could only find the 0w 40 in SM. It does seem to sheer down to a 0w 30 for most of its life. I liked Mobil SL in the winter around here.

Have you thought about using Mobil 10w 40 EP it seems to have a better additive package than the SM Ow 40 does.

Hirev,

I would definitely run M1 EP 10w40 if anybody sold it. I look for it everywhere I go. I've been hoping Advance Auto Parts would pick it up. They carry Syntec 10w40, so I can't see why they wouldn't carry M1 10w40, too. Maybe the motorcycle guys buy the Syntec 10w40.
dunno.gif
I can't imagine there being a huge demand for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back