2010 FX4 | M1 0W-20 AFE SN | 5.4L | 15,372 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nice report! The AFE and EP brews seem to be a step ahead of the generic M1 line up, a couple extra bucks well spent IMO especially if you're gonna truly do and extended OCI.

FYI - AFE (0W-20 and 0W-30) are the same price as regular M1 (at least at WM); only EP is more.

Well thanks! Been thinking of trying the 0w30 in our KIA after its out of warranty. I thought the AFE jugs were 2 bucks more also, guess not!

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: bourne
Castrol Edge Gold also uses Mg as an additive.

Another one for the mental list!

So does castrol edge black.

So 20000 miles on the same filter and insols well below condemnation point.
More data keeps coming in that typical oil filter changes are way to early,and a known clean engine can easily run double those miles. And your used oil analysis is just more evidence to affirm my theory.
Thanks for posting. I love how you are almost single-handedly demolishing the whole "cheap insurance" idea showing us that quality oils can easily run longer than yesterday's thinking assumes.

Thanks for posting.

Jeez louise! Great showing for M1 0w-20 AFE. I only wonder if TBN would be too low, had you not added the 3/4. Also, did you notice any discernible difference in how it ran vs. PU? Still, very very cool, thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
So 20000 miles on the same filter and insols well below condemnation point.
More data keeps coming in that typical oil filter changes are way to early,and a known clean engine can easily run double those miles. And your used oil analysis is just more evidence to affirm my theory.
Thanks for posting. I love how you are almost single-handedly demolishing the whole "cheap insurance" idea showing us that quality oils can easily run longer than yesterday's thinking assumes. Thanks for posting.

Clev - thanks for the vote of confidence! Note, it was 15K on a single filter, but I will go 20K this time (I have a Fram Ultra on it now and this run was a MC).

Originally Posted By: jhskier25
Jeez louise! Great showing for M1 0w-20 AFE. I only wonder if TBN would be too low, had you not added the 3/4. Also, did you notice any discernible difference in how it ran vs. PU? Still, very very cool, thanks for posting!

I think that I would have been in the 1.5-1.7 range on TBN had I not added the make-up oil (which is still quite OK). It has been a while since I had PU in the engine and although I like PU, I was not as nearly impressed with it as I am with the AFE. My engine flat runs smoother on AFE and the "M1 shedding iron" issue (if it ever was one) is clearly no longer an issue.

Mile for mile, the AFE produced less wear metals (which, of course may not equate to less wear--but that is another argument entirely) than PU or MS5K--even on lesser runs of each. Until I find a better oil, this one is definitely the sweet spot in this engine. I have been tinkering with the idea of running AmSoil ASM (0W-20) in it, but it will be hard to beat this run.

Went to Wallyworld tonight to get 7 qts of Mobil 1 0w20 AFE tonight. They did not have a great selection of filters. Stopped at AAP and got a Mobil 1 filter. Will be installed in my 2010 F150 FX4 5.4 tomorrow. ...... 2010_FX4 you have changed my view on oil life. My installation will be around 76750 miles..... My extended warranty expired at 75000 miles, so extended OCI's are now in order.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WTJackalope
Went to Wallyworld tonight to get 7 qts of Mobil 1 0w20 AFE tonight. They did not have a great selection of filters. Stopped at AAP and got a Mobil 1 filter. Will be installed in my 2010 F150 FX4 5.4 tomorrow. ...... 2010_FX4 you have changed my view on oil life. My installation will be around 76750 miles..... My extended warranty expired at 75000 miles, so extended OCI's are now in order.

WT - it will be nice to see how it runs in your engine as a comparison as to how it did in mine. I think that you will like it. What are you running now?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nice report!

The AFE and EP brews seem to be a step ahead of the generic M1 line up, a couple extra bucks well spent IMO especially if you're gonna truly do and extended OCI.

The regular M1 oils are excellant as well. I know several that do 12-15 OCIs on M1 5-30 with outstanding results, with clean engines and 200-350K.

What filter have you been using. I notice the insolubles have been low for the last 2 UOAs. I also use AFE 0w20, but have never gone beyond 5k OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
What filter have you been using. I notice the insolubles have been low for the last 2 UOAs. I also use AFE 0w20, but have never gone beyond 5k OCI.
For all of the UOAs that are displayed it has always been a Motorcraft FL-820s. On the current load, I switched to a Fram Ultra XG2 and am waiting to see how it fares. I attribute the low insolubles to the oil and not necessarily the filter (but, of course, I could be wrong). I am not sure if your driving style matches mine (or if you have the same vehicle), but you could almost certainly extend past 5K with AFE.

The insolubles count in the Blackstone UOAs is a characterization of the darkness of the oil after treated and then processed in a centrifuge and rated against a visual coloration standard. There is no real way to put any accurate measure of the insol count to a particular efficiency of a filter. Soot and oxidation are what contribute chiefly to the insol count. That being known, there is no ability to attribute the darkness to the size of particles.

I have seen average filers and great filters all turn in insol counts anywhere from .2 to .4; there is very little disparity between filters in this regard.

After reviewing over 10,000 UOAs, and a lot of them being Blackstone, I can tell you that there is no ability to show any correlation between wear and filter selection in the typical UOA.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The insolubles count in the Blackstone UOAs is a characterization of the darkness of the oil after treated and then processed in a centrifuge and rated against a visual coloration standard.

I had assumed the oil was the contributor here and not the filter since the oils have varied but the filters (at least until now) have been a constant. In true BITOG fashion then, it begs the question do some oils produce less insolubles than others and if so why? Borrowed from Austin Powers--"But what does it all mean Basil?"

There are so many contributors to the variation here that it's really moot. As long as you don't get UOAs with anything grossly high, I'd not worry about it.

As this is a visual reference, I'd have to start there first. I suspect they've never done an R&R on the chart system they use; that would be the first variant.
Then there's the useage factor. And oxidation, soot, etc. And the variance between lube stock batches. It goes on and on.

It's just very typical to see insols between .2 and .4, regardless of the brand/grade/base stock.

....BUT, if you do particle counts, you can see differences between filters. I think that is a more accurate way to measure "insols" but it costs extra. And really isn't worth the money to do in most cases unless you are in testing mode.

The insols method is included in the Bstone UOA (it would be so much easier if we could abbreviate it as Bee Ess and not be censored) and is good enough for monitoring purposes. Basically it tells you whether filtration is "Adequate" or "Inadequate" and that's all it can do. And that's all you generally need.

As to wear and such, I agree with Dave. Even with very clean oil from high efficiency filtration, from the UOAs I've seen, that alone doesn't appear to account for exceptionally low wear numbers. It's beginning to look to me that the oil will do more in that regard than high-end filtration... at least when the filtration is above a minimum standard of around 35-40 microns absolute. This UOA adds another grain of truth to that. These Mobil 1 UOAs appear to be "better" that those on the M5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back