barium 0

sus visc@ 210 f 62.2
flashpoint 355°
fuel 1.0%
antifreeze 0.0
water 0.0
insolubles 0.4

Blackstone's comments:
With wear this low, who needs oil changes? Not you! You won't have any trouble extending
your oil change interval, if and when you choose to do so. The universal averages column shows typical wear from this type of engine after 5400 miles on the oil. Your wear is quite a bit lower than averages -- with practically no bearing wear showing up at all. We did find a little fuel dilution, which is common in engines that see a lot of city driving and/or idling. We don't consider it a problem until it reads above 2.0%. It lowered the viscosity a little. Looks terrific!

My comments:
I am very pleased overall.
smile.gif
I am a little concerned about the fuel dilution. I do very little city driving or idling. My spark plugs are past due for a change. Could this contribute to the 1% fuel dilution?
Occasionally I do a 5-mile drive up a local mountain & immediately park the car. Maybe it runs really rich going up the mountain & this accounts for the fuel??? Oh, well it doesn't look like enough to worry over at the present.

FWIW, I used a Mobil 1 M1-205 oil filter & a Fram air filter for this sample.

Any & all comments are welcome.

Nice report. Seems like these German engines wear low much like the Toyotas. Fuel is high and probably helped oil shear even more then it does anyway.

Looks like the additives went walkabout.

Seems to be missing 1000ppm of Calcium, and 400ppm of Zinc.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:

SL walked out and the SM walked in...

quote:

Originally posted by sully:

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:

SL walked out and the SM walked in...

Doooooooh!......I never checked to see if it was SL or SM.
dunno.gif
Oh, well.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Nice report. Seems like these German engines wear low much like the Toyotas. Fuel is high and probably helped oil shear even more then it does anyway.

Probably because most of the Japanese cars were copies of German ones... I beleive Toyota copied MB, and Datsun copied BMW.

Anyway, Looks really nice. Im glad because I reccomended my roomate use this oil, and he did. I told him that 5000 miles would be a good OCI for the sludge forming 1.8, and it seems to be a good interval.

cheers.gif

JMH

The 0w-40 is in fact SM. I checked the last time was in Walmart. Why I don't know...it's a 40wt so I didn't think they had to lower the additive levels. I do believe though that the new European specs are the reason behind it. I'd have to check one of the additive supplier websites.

The Asians seem to be the greatest copiers on earth. Many ideas are created here and Europe. They then take the idea or we sell it to them and they perfect it. Thats just my observation.

Yeah, I'd thunk that it was SM.

But as we only saw an SM analysis just recently, I thought it mught still be an SL, but with a few issues WRT accuracy of analysis.

This 0w-40 sheared down to a mid-range, 30wt in 5000 miles - pretty much par for this formulation in a turbocharged motor. However in this case, the valvetrain wear is actually pretty good. Are you sure your grandmother doesn't drive this GTI?
wink.gif

Fuel dilution of 1% is normal for this motor - in my last Blackstone analysis I had 1.5% fuel dilution after 9500 miles....

The Blackstone "technical analysis" is silly as always ....
rolleyes.gif

TS

I wanted to add a question ....

Anyone care to speculate what the high temp/high shear viscosity of this sheared/diluted 0w-40 oil would be at this point?

This is why I don't get all crazed about meeting the 3.5 Cp, HT/HS requirement of the VW 502.00 and ACEA, A3 specs for this application.

TS

Great report!!! I think it's safe to take the oil to 7500 and do a sample.

- - - - - - -

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The Asians seem to be the greatest copiers on earth. Many ideas are created here and Europe. They then take the idea or we sell it to them and they perfect it. Thats just my observation.

I know it was many hundred years ago, but it goes in cycle. Don't forget where the compass, gun powder, paper and the original roller-printing press came from. Gutenberg improved upon the technology and made mass printing and knowledge transfer became even faster. Since the Renaissance, Europe (and then America) took off like a rocket.

The Greeks claimed they invented the wheel, so did the Chinese.

If it wasn't for Toyota management consulting, Porsche would have gone under years ago. MB - the crown jewel of Daimler-Benz Gruppe - is sweating bullets as it's not making money. Lexus, OTOH, has announced that it will build its hybrid vehicles in the US of all places!

That said, I still love my New Beetle and can't wait for the new VW/Audi 2.0 FSI Turbo to arrive at our shores!
grin.gif

[ March 23, 2005, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: Bugzii ]

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Occasionally I do a 5-mile drive up a local mountain & immediately park the car.

I hope you take it easy doing that. Working a turbo hard and then shutting off the engine right away is very bad because you stop the oil circulation and it cokes in the turbo cooling lines. That's why it's highly adviseable to idle the engine for a few minutes after a 'strenuous' exercise before shutting it off.
wink.gif

Your wear numbers look amazingly good though. How do you like that GTI? If I'm forced to sell my A4 (also 1.8T), I might consider picking up a used GTI. I'm just worried about previous owners and sludge issues that these engines are succeptible to if proper oil wasn't used or it wasn't changed often enough...

[ March 23, 2005, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Quattro Pete ]

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
I hope you take it easy doing that. Working a turbo hard and then shutting off the engine right away is very bad because you stop the oil circulation and it cokes in the turbo cooling lines. That's why it's highly adviseable to idle the engine for a few minutes after a 'strenuous' exercise before shutting it off.
wink.gif

Your wear numbers look amazingly good though. How do you like that GTI? If I'm forced to sell my A4 (also 1.8T), I might consider picking up a used GTI. I'm just worried about previous owners and sludge issues that these engines are succeptible to if proper oil wasn't used or it wasn't changed often enough...

I should clarify. After driving up that mountain, I don't immediately shut the car off. I, too, am paranoid about oil "coking" in the turbo, so I always let the engine idle for 1-2 minutes before I shut it off.

I love my GTI.
smile.gif
However, I can understand your concern about picking up a used one. I wouldn't touch another used one without seeing it's complete service records. If it had been raised on anything less than top-notch synthetic oil from the get-go, I would give it a
thumbsdown.gif
Also, I wouldn't touch a "modded" GTI with a ten-foot pole.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
This 0w-40 sheared down to a mid-range, 30wt in 5000 miles - pretty much par for this formulation in a turbocharged motor. However in this case, the valvetrain wear is actually pretty good. Are you sure your grandmother doesn't drive this GTI?
wink.gif

Fuel dilution of 1% is normal for this motor - in my last Blackstone analysis I had 1.5% fuel dilution after 9500 miles....

The Blackstone "technical analysis" is silly as always ....
rolleyes.gif

TS

Thanks TS,
You put my mind at ease about the fuel. Also, I am guilty of driving it like Grandma sometimes.
wink.gif
Other times, I drive it like I stole it. "Little Red" has seem numerous 100 mph runs on a deserted stretch of highway near my house.

This is one of the best M1 reports I have seen in this engine in terms of wear. If this oil was SM, this would be encouraging as it might be a sign of things to come. The shearing is a concern, but probably doesn't mean much with the fuel dilution.

Bugzii,

You'll be glad to hear the new 2.0L, FSI, VW/Audi engine holds a full 6 Liters of oil ( approx 6.3 qts). Apparently VW has learned their lesson in this respect!

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
I wouldn't touch another used one without seeing it's complete service records. If it had been raised on anything less than top-notch synthetic oil from the get-go, I would give it a
thumbsdown.gif
Also, I wouldn't touch a "modded" GTI with a ten-foot pole.

offtopic.gif

Yeah, I'm just worried that most service records will not generally show what kind of oil (mineral or synth) was used. Of course I can ask the seller, but most will just tell you what you want to hear.

The 'modded' thing is tricky as well as it's easy to return it to stock (put back stock ECU, intake, etc.) Hopefully having modded my A4, I may be able to pick up on some modding clues if I were to buy one.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back