M1 0W-40 in a 2006 Solara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Ignore your in laws car as it is not your problem. After he blows a few motors he will either learn or keep paying to replace them.

You are confusing his inlaws with yours.... 8)

Any of the Mobil 1 EP oils would be an excellent choice. Many of us here on BITOG actually extend oil change intervals (I don't). Some use the UOA results to do it safely.

As I'm sure you know, some Toyota engines are sludge monsters. If this one is prone to sludge, simply find a way to change the M1 more often.

While many here are on the "thinner is better" bandwagon, I'm not. However, I'm in roasting hot South Florida, and I would be considered severe duty by any measure.

By the way, my very favorite oil, Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck would be a very good choice for extended drain intervals. It has a high TBN to combat acids, excellent HTHS numbers, plenty of ZDDP and works exceptionally well in nearly any application. I'm even running it in my 2.5L Jaguar V6 (best results ever!).

His motor is the 4 cylinder. The reason that this is my problem is if he blows it up my family will pressure me into changing the engine in my driveway. When I had access to a shop this was not as much a concern. I am thinking 5W-30 EP with a mobil 1 filter will hold up OK.
Just to give an idea what I am dealing with, his oil was done in Dec. and the other night when I was helping him paint a condo I mentioned he had to change the oil soon. He responded with "What the cars really needs is to be washed." He does not wash cars either.

Actions have consequences. It's not your responsibility to keep his car in "tip top shape".

I'd offer friendly advice, as an absolute maximum.

Originally Posted By: rob6773
His motor is the 4 cylinder. The reason that this is my problem is if he blows it up my family will pressure me into changing the engine in my driveway. When I had access to a shop this was not as much a concern. I am thinking 5W-30 EP with a mobil 1 filter will hold up OK.
Just to give an idea what I am dealing with, his oil was done in Dec. and the other night when I was helping him paint a condo I mentioned he had to change the oil soon. He responded with "What the cars really needs is to be washed." He does not wash cars either.

The Solara is similar to the Scion in this way - use older parts including the engine to make them affordable. You say its a 4, then the 06 Solara uses the the same 2AZ-FE engine produced between 02-04 I have. The problems in those years were stripped headbolts, bad valve seals, and oil consumption. The 2AZ-FE had a slight mod in 05 to resolve this and other things. Talked to a few people with the 02-04 2AZ-FE engines to see what the problems were. Always the same, blue puff at startup valve seals, oil consumption, CEL replace the front manifold cat. This engine is not a candidate for 0w or -20 oil. Stay with the 5w-30, 7k max OCI. His biggest threat is stripped headbolts. Google it to find more

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Actually that rumor is not correct because the "right rumor" is that 0W-XX oils have zero viscosity and everybody knows you can't have less than zero, therefore 0W-XX oils are perfectly shear stable.

Best answer ever!
wink.gif

I know I can't force him to take care of his car. I just do not want his problems to become my problem. He is odd because when it comes to some things he is not like this, but when it comes to cars he runs them into the ground. The only reason he has this car is my sister gave it to him when she needed something with 4 doors. His last car he used to let his son walk on.

As mentioned it's not your problem.
My late father-in-law had a similar attitute, and used to joke that "he changed the oil is his car every 100,000 miles whether it needed it or not".
There are indeed more important things in life to be conerned about.

There have been several 4 Cylinder 2.4 engine Camrys in the family ranging from 02 through 06. NONE, absolutely NONE have experienced "stripped headbolts, bad valve seals, excessive oil consumption, or puffs of blue smoke on start up." None have experienced any problems whatsover is their many miles
of more than satisfactory use. And, a couple of them went well
over 250K. All received regular maintenance and 5W30, 0W30
synthetic oil was used after the factory fil. So...it would appear that "problems" with this engine are very far from "always the same!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back