Lugging -- what's that sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Thanks. I was just speaking to the Ops manual transmission. I've never heard of "lugging" an AT.

Well, locking torque converters have been around a while, and with the gas saving strategies in use they will routinely lock up under 1000 rpm in my car. Plus with many slushboxes you can force them to upshift manually very early, thus loading up that precious drivetrain at low rpm.... seems similar at least!
Jeez, I hope you're not another one of those 'stick shift' snobs!
Lol. No. I had to choose between Bass Fishing or Manual Shifting,so now I drive an automatic. Thank goodness I can still shift with my left foot!

I think any part of the engine/drivetrain that is subjected to uneven operation,as,in,lugging,is getting stressed. I don't think it's going to "break" your drivetrain,but I prefer not to lug.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Thanks. I was just speaking to the Ops manual transmission. I've never heard of "lugging" an AT.

Well, locking torque converters have been around a while, and with the gas saving strategies in use they will routinely lock up under 1000 rpm in my car. Plus with many slushboxes you can force them to upshift manually very early, thus loading up that precious drivetrain at low rpm.... seems similar at least!
Jeez, I hope you're not another one of those 'stick shift' snobs!
Lol. No. I had to choose between Bass Fishing or Manual Shifting,so now I drive an automatic. Thank goodness I can still shift with my left foot!
P.S. The reason I had to choose between Bass Fishing and Shifting is Elbow Tendonitis. Bummer.

You should hear a family member of mine pulling away in my G35 at 400 rpm in second gear. Sounds like the whole drivetrain is going to come apart. knocking from the front, middle and rear. she won't use 6th on the highway because it is too close to reverse, and She won't use 1st because she is used to trucks that had a granny 1st gear - ironically she is also a granny. luckily she only drives my car when her truck is broken, which is rare.

We need to get a spare car that I don't care about.

I don't consider 900 rpm to be lugging, less than idle speed w/ load is what I consider lugging.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I don't consider 900 rpm to be lugging, less than idle speed w/ load is what I consider lugging.

^This is more a blanket statement worth discussing, IMO.

In my app, this is definitely true. In fact, I'd prefer not to even coast in gear at a speed that isn't at least 300-400 RPM above idle(full temp idle) speed(even without applying throttle) because of the clutch needing replacement/hopefully the Input Shaft Bearing can be addressed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back