Lucus red n tacky or Mobil 1?

I’m in the process of repacking trailer wheel bearings. A couple years ago I bought a tub of the Lucas and forgot I did apparently. I went today and bought a tub of the Mobil 1 synthetic. It seems kind of thin compared to the Lucas but it’s synthetic and iv never had much experience with synthetic grease. What’s everyone’s opinion on which one to use?

Mobil 1 greases are great at reminding you which gun they're in because they leak sticky red oil everywhere. Having worked around industrial machinery, there were several pieces of equipment that specified Mobil greases.

I've never seen a piece of equipment specify anything made by the Lucas company...

Mobil 1 greases are great at reminding you which gun they're in because they leak sticky red oil everywhere. Having worked around industrial machinery, there were several pieces of equipment that specified Mobil greases.

I've never seen a piece of equipment specify anything made by the Lucas company...
The OP is lucky that he has Mobil1 in a tub at least. With enough time, I do believe it will still separate out but at least it'll be easy to re-mix.

IMO, Mobil1 red grease is a good performer if you can live with the separation issue.

Mobil 1 is decent. I feel Lucas RnT may be better, but I refuse to do business with that company from an ethical standpoint.

I use High Performance Lubricants aluminum complex NLGI 1.5 grease. No separation issues.

0304211717.jpg

Can you enlighten me as to what ethical problem you have with Lucas? Just curious. I have a few companies I won't patronize myself.

They knowingly and purposefully deceive people who buy their Lucas Oil Stabilizer with the gimmicky plastic gears and claims on the bottle. It's just a bottle of viscosity modifier (OCP) with no additives in it. It's not even a good viscosity modifier as the shear stability index is >50.

They also taut their racing oils as having more ZDDP than anyone else despite being fully aware that excessive ZDDP concentrations increase corrosive wear. They don't care though because having the highest amount sells to the "more is better" crowd.

Despite their sponsorships in racing, I refuse to support them based on those issues.

Well it got to about 75 today and the tub of Mobil 1 full synthetic started to bleed in the tub looked like thick soup. If it does this in the container I’m not sure how it would hold up inside the hub. I ended up going with the Lucas

Well it got to about 75 today and the tub of Mobil 1 full synthetic started to bleed in the tub looked like thick soup. If it does this in the container I’m not sure how it would hold up inside the hub. I ended up going with the Lucas

That's unfortunate. From experience, the Mobil product holds up very well in service. I echo RDY4WAR's comments on Lucas, I avoid their products like the plague.

I have used the Mobil ronex with great success. I also use Mobil 1 oil and have for years, good stuff. Maybe the synthetic grease would be better in a colder climate who knows

I put the RnT in my trailer last year. It's made three 500 mile round trips at 70 MPH pretty heavily loaded with the hubs running cool as could be. I was going to pull everything apart and check how it's doing but I didn't have time. All I did was jack up and make sure they weren't too loose or grinding and everything souned fine.

Definitely a fan of the RnT in trailer wheel bearings! I even put it in my small single axle utility trailer.

I have "red'n'tacky" lucas bleeding out of my gun all over the floor as we speak . The 10yr old sta lube (both red and the moly graph) are keeping their wits together still.

I have good experience with Lucas red n tacky. However I’m sure the Mobil is just as good, marine grade grease are good alternative that would be my choice but use up what you have.

I despise them for their 'oil stabilizer', but their RNT is pretty on par for any other grease that are:
made from hydrocracked base oil
lithium complex thickener
GC-LB sufficient performance
high temp grease (high dropping point)
...it also gets the plus of having a tackifier added.

Mobil 1 greases are similar, but are made with high VI base oil for oxidation resistance, giving the grease longer service life.

Personally, I would clean out the equipment and use Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty (a polyurea thickener) for the performance and price point.
(or Mobil Polyrex EP, or Chevron Black Pearl).

You will be fine either way. This isn’t a boat trail right? I’ve been using the same tub of M1 for GP use for many years now including bike and motorcycle bearings. To be honest, I’m starting to prefer super-lube but it is pricey!

Back