Lucas UCL : What makes this product unique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very curious as to how this functions differently than, say, Techron?

The Pepboys Manager kept raving about it and said that UCL and Techron are the only two products on the shelf that actually work for him.

Techron is more for a one-time cleanup. Lucas UCL acts to maintain fuel system cleanliness and also as a Upper Cylinder Lubricant (like FP60). I've found MPG increases with 1oz/5gal dose of UCL, and no MPG changes (before/during/after) when running techron for a tank.

Off the shelf products that are GOOD for your gas tank: Techron, Gumout Regane, Lucas UCL, MMO, and some others I'm forgetting. Many of the fuel treatments sold are just kerosene or similar solvent based carriers with little true additive. Lucas UCL and FP60 don't have the solvent carriers and so are concentrated and cheaper to use every tank in low doses while still being effective.

U-C-L "UPPER-CYLINDER-LUB" it's oil made to mix with gasoline like 2-cycle oil. It ends up helping the ring seal a little bit being gas engines normally burn a little dry in the upper cylinder area (this is one reason why diesel's last so much longer than gas engines being their upper cylinders get lubed so much better even with their higher compression) which adds a bit of compression - less blow by loss = a touch more miles per gallon. For me it has equated a 2mpg gain for the last 99+thousand miles. 41mpg before - 43.3 mpg average since overall, year in-year out. 2 oz per 6 to 8 gallon fillup. 98 Suzuki Swift - EPA rated 39-43. best before UCL=46mpg, with 48mpg. Started using it at 37thou and today it has 136+thou on it. 43.3mpg overall.

Thanks Gudmund, I was curious what the treatment rate was, and coincidently its for a Suzuki as well...so thanks!

Have you found a quantity that was detrimental to better MPGs?

Thanks to Surf and Gud,

My little honda has 'blow by' big time. Do you think UCL and FP60 might help?

(I guess it's certainly worth a try, extrememly cheap compared to a rebuild)

Leo,
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I just started my second cycle of AutoRx. (great stuff!!!)

But i was wondering if a fuel additive could clean spaces that AutoRx doesn't get to.

skate1968-

If your blowby isn't caused by carbon accumulation to the piston rings in your Honda engine but more of a wear-n-tear, then AutoRx or even UCL will not work (blowby is, afterall, blowby and it comes from gas sneaking past sticky rings or ring gaps).

AutoRx is a sensible move if you suspect your blowby caused by sticky rings.

Thanks Quest,

I'm not actually sure if my blow by is caused by sticky rings or badly worn/damaged rings/seals.

There is however, much less burning, if i drive it easy. it's a 91 civic dx, 1.5 L (not modified or juiced up)

thanks john!
I'll ask that my trusted mechanic friend to check the entire PCV system. But before i go to him i was thinking about buying a new PCV valve from the dealer.

I'd rather replace a PCV valve than rebuild an entire engine.

Today, I just replaced the PCV valve on my 1989 Cadillac Sedan Deville.

FYI, it was only $1.50. Money well spent.
smile.gif

I guess I still don't understand how UCL does any of the cleaning it claims to, since it is is like ARX in that it has no solvents.

I don't know how Lucas UCL works either, so hopefully a pro will step in and give us a clue after I render this response:

I think that the UCL is one or more esters. An ester is a molecule made from the reaction between a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. I think the components of the ester are selected on the basis of the lubricative ability of the carboxylic acid (maybe like a fatty acid), and the reactiveness of the alcohol with the substances that you are trying to clean (varnish, carbon, and sludge).

When the ester arrives in a basic or acidic solution, the molecule splits into the carboxylic acid and the alcohol. I think the alcohol reacts with the acidic stuff in the fuel system and engine, and the mombo carboxylic acid goes for the ride since it is not a strong acid. I don't know where the water comes from in the fuel system.

Examples are:
fatty acid + glycerol = vegetable oil + water
possum fat + nitromethane = FP
lol.gif

Most people tend to think its a polyisobutylene.
Wikipedia isopbutylene and you'll see many believe its a good fuel additive as well as other things.

quote:

Originally posted by skate1968:
Thanks Quest,

I'm not actually sure if my blow by is caused by sticky rings or badly worn/damaged rings/seals.

There is however, much less burning, if i drive it easy. it's a 91 civic dx, 1.5 L (not modified or juiced up)

That engine is notorious for being a heavy oil drinker. In the last year, 4 out of the 5 Civics that we've sold have come back with excessive oil consumption. One used 5 quarts in 150 miles with no visible exhaust smoke!
Upon teardown, it was found that the cylinders showed excessive wear (deep ridge on the top of the cylinders) and also stuck rings.

This is definitely not what I'd consider a quality engine. It has changed my opinion of Honda in general...I'd be more apt to recommend a Dodge or Ford over most Hondas after seeing these engines drop at relatively low mileage.

Honda should stick to what they know best...Motorcycles and lawn mowers. There isn't a Honda car out there, old or new, that has done anything to impress me in any area.

Ok, so I understand how UCL would lube but I still don't get how it can possibly clean, since it is not solvent based.

Any pros here care to explain?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back