lucas ruined engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil pump drive failed. Happens in Fords. Weak link in the system.

Used to be the old Hex drives in FE's that let go. Cut down an Unbreako (brand) Allen Wrench to fit and you could run whatever you wanted.

I agree that it was way too much Lucas. Just bumping it to 10W-30 or 40 would have kept your buddy on the road a lot longer...

Now we'll find out if his lower end is savable with just a rods and mains change and pump drive, or he's toasted it ...
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Lucas may be ok for a pushrod 302 but for an OHC engine with VVT cams? Might as well put sand and gear oil in the motor. It like thinking the abrasive particles will clean everything out.

That amount of Lucas could destroy any engine. VVTs are very sensitive to oil viscosity. Also, the top engine will get very little lube, and like other said the pump is toast. not saying to use 5w20 but 3 quarts of Lucas is sheer stupidity.

Lucas does say you can use 60%, but if you need that much it may give you one last ride to the repair shop.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Used to be the old Hex drives in FE's that let go. Cut down an Unbreako (brand) Allen Wrench to fit and you could run whatever you wanted.

Probably not gonna happen since it's driven directly off of the crank. This thing is a far cry from an old push rod engine.

I know truck drivers who add 1 gallon Lucas to 10 gallons of diesel truck oil. that's basically the ratio it's supposed to be used at.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Lucas may be ok for a pushrod 302

Not if you liquorice stick the oil pump drive shaft or break the distributor gear, which guys have done with 20w-50, let alone this volume of Lucas motor goop.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I know truck drivers who add 1 gallon Lucas to 10 gallons of diesel truck oil. that's basically the ratio it's supposed to be used at.

There's a guy on youtube that ads gear oil to the engine in his OTR truck

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Happend to me! Nice failsafe though - kills ignition when the roll pin on the distributor gear shears. Found the culprit - chunks of oxidized valve stem seals jammed the pump. Car had 140 on it. Got it running again NP.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Not if you liquorice stick the oil pump drive shaft or break the distributor gear, which guys have done with 20w-50, let alone this volume of Lucas motor goop.

LOL, with a hardened ARP oil drive shaft, I sheared the roll pin on the distributor gear.

Something's gotta give somewhere....................

Originally Posted By: Linctex

LOL, with a hardened ARP oil drive shaft, I sheared the roll pin on the distributor gear.

Some aftermarket Ford cam pos sensors (similar to a distributor) will do this with any oil. The problem may be fixed though, it was many years ago. I don't think the company likes paying for replacement engines over a 1c rollpin.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Some aftermarket Ford cam pos sensors (similar to a distributor) will do this with any oil. The problem may be fixed though, it was many years ago. I don't think the company likes paying for replacement engines over a 1c rollpin.

I remember many folks upgrading to the ARP shaft because they wanted to run 20w-50 or something similar. Then you would hear about pins failing or gears breaking
grin.gif

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Lucas, as shown in the VOA just makes things thick and dilutes the additives down further.

It is basically more expensive, but lower quality STP as far as I am concerned.

As one person mentioned, a 10w40 would have kept the old mill going much better.

Your friend found the hard way why oil manufacturers recommend not mixing oils.
Let it be a lesson to anyone.
Your friend could have just used Mobil 1 oil straight out of the bottle. What's the risk, Nascar uses it, so do F1 race teams and it's the standard oil for many $200k+ supercars.
Heck, Mobil 1 is probably cheaper than mixing oil like he did.

But no, he had to play apprentice-oil-cocktail-alchemist. And he got burned.

And so it is.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Worst thing: he'll think that Lucas helped get him to 180k miles on the truck before something [unrelated] went wrong.

Absolutely correct. You cannot fix stupid. It amazes me how some idiots think they know more than the manufacturer.

I can think of multiple possible issues. Too thick oil: drain back problems, oil pump cavitation, high delta P across the filter (so basically bypassing all the time), etc.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Lucas, as shown in the VOA just makes things thick and dilutes the additives down further.

It is basically more expensive, but lower quality STP as far as I am concerned.

As one person mentioned, a 10w40 would have kept the old mill going much better.

This. I have never, and will never put Lucas oil stabilizer in any engine. Just buy some 20w50. At least it still has additives, probably cheaper too. If he needed to run such a heavy weight of oil, I'm sure the engine had other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back