Lucas oil quality

I'm big into motorsports. I'm a drag racer and have friends in Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle. I've been a crew member for dirt track and drag teams as well as building engines as a hobby. Lucas's hot rod and racing oils have never worked as hoped with inconsistent batches, consumption problems, and some detonation problems. (likely from volatility) Just because a team is sponsored by Lucas doesn't mean they run their junk. There's been a lot of hurt engines from their stuff.

That PDF you posted is a good example. It states it's a 5W-30 yet the KV100 says 13.2 cSt which makes it a 40 grade, not a 30 grade. They give the API max for CCS instead of the actual number and highly unlikely they actually tested it for CCS and MRV. (as they don't have that in their lab)
Sometimes viscosity is a poor substitute for quality.

I'm big into motorsports. ...

That PDF you posted is a good example. It states it's a 5W-30 yet the KV100 says 13.2 cSt which makes it a 40 grade, not a 30 grade. They give the API max for CCS instead of the actual number and highly unlikely they actually tested it for CCS and MRV. (as they don't have that in their lab)
Yep, I suppose I'd give them a break if it didn't say SAE in front of the 5W30. Close enough doesn't count with SAE. Could be a typo, I'll look at their 10W30 ( its 11.3 cSt also noted 2500ppm zdp)

I wouldn't care about the 5W in racing app. I don't even know why they market multigrade oil here.

I am no fan of Lucas consumer products, but I can't bash their pro grade stuff as I have 0 experience with their catalogue

they state in their Product R&D tab:

We have the capability of measuring kinematic viscosity at 40 and 100°C, determining flash points of extremely flammable, flammable, and combustible materials, determining metals in new and used oils with our X-Ray Florescence ... We additionally have foam testing capabilities, cold temperature testing capabilities for multi-grade engine oils and have a state of the art table top density meter to determine pounds per gallons of finished products and incoming raw materials. Quality is the # 1 priority here at Lucas Oil Products.

Yep, I suppose I'd give them a break if it didn't say SAE in front of the 5W30. Close enough doesn't count with SAE. Could be a typo, I'll look at their 10W30 ( its 11.3 cSt also noted 2500ppm zdp)

I wouldn't care about the 5W in racing app. I don't even know why they market multigrade oil here.

I am no fan of Lucas consumer products, but I can't bash their pro grade stuff as I have 0 experience with their catalogue

they state in their Product R&D tab:

We have the capability of measuring kinematic viscosity at 40 and 100°C, determining flash points of extremely flammable, flammable, and combustible materials, determining metals in new and used oils with our X-Ray Florescence ... We additionally have foam testing capabilities, cold temperature testing capabilities for multi-grade engine oils and have a state of the art table top density meter to determine pounds per gallons of finished products and incoming raw materials. Quality is the # 1 priority here at Lucas Oil Products.
If that were true, they wouldn't be selling Group I bright stock, a bucket load of the cheapest VII on the planet topped with red dye and bar oil tackifier as an "Oil stabilizer" when the product ultimately does the complete opposite. On top of that, they sell it at a markup so obscene it would make PT Barnum blush.

I'm sorry, but when the promotion of your premier product is so mired in deception and outright falsehood that it could have its own 60-minutes episode, why would one be inclined to believe anything else they have to say?

Same exact thoughts I have.

I am sure the oil is ok if overpriced it passes API spec.. but their other products are such turd snakeoil I avoid the entire brand including their grease which is probably their best product.
Yup, that's my boat too. I would never give money to an organization that blatantly leverages deception as their key money maker, which they then use to buy exposure at racing venues to lend even more credibility to a brand whose very existence is predecated on the exploitation of ignorance.

Just add it to the Motor Medic, STP and the Marvel Mystery Oil and SeaFoam garbage-in-a-can shelf.

Somehow I can separate the product line from pro to Joe mullet consumer grade.

But I do catch your drift. Such unabashed, vulgar marketing is not a confidence builder.

An AZ parts store manager strong-armed me to buy some Lucas UCL and Injector Cleaner over the bottle of Gumout Regane I had in my sweaty fat short-fingered hands. I said. "that Lucas stuff is pretty much useless to me"
He turned red and started shouting something and it almost came to fisticuffs. I don't even recall if I left the gumout on the counter and walked out.
There must have been some big box corporate pressure, A bizarre episode to this day.

Their products in general are snake oil and a waste of money. You will probably get a lot of comments here. But, their products have been analyzed and basically contain nothing, so they can't really do much of anything aside from conditioning your wallet.

The "Oil Stabilizer" is since no modern oil meeting API spec's needs stability as it is already very much more stable than that crap's cheap Group I goop base. However their motor oils are fine and I think carry all the necessary requirements. But I'd only buy it on clearance like it is/was at some Midwestern store for $.44 a qt. Some think their FI cleaner is also decent but IDK...

Last edited:
I bought a quart of their 2-stroke oil a while back. Now, after reading all of the flaming hatred for Lucas Oil products, I'm somewhat afraid to use it. So I might just go out and buy something better than the Cobra venom their crap might contain.

I also use their Red-N-Tacky grease, and will continue to do so. Because out here it doesn't liquify as bad in the heat as so many others do.
What type of cobra 🐍?

Lucas Synth in 0w20 and 5w30 are dexos 1 gen 3

They also have various API licensed products... from SL to SP, CH-4 to CK-4, and FA-4

2-stroke synth oil and marine oil are NMMA TC-W3. Others use the meet/exceed that so many brands use(include too many pushed here over the years).

I guess some just refuse to use thicker oil. So, let them have their Lucas, or any brand, motor honey equivalent marketed in multiple formulas like some others.... low visc, synth, regular, and high mileage.

Their assembly lube/grease is no different than any other.

Their greases work great. So, no fear with their moly, heavy duty, lithium, or tackyred stuff.

With ANY brand, I have no problem with various products. Obviously, some products and brands thrive on marketing. Some products within a brand are nothing special. Lucas is just one of many brands with a bunch of good products, some not so good, and some probably not needed at all.

Back