Lucas oil quality

Hey everyone I'm looking for detailed information on the quality of Lucas engine oil. Any idea what they use for base stock or add packs? Looking to learn all I can about their products.

I'm sure they are adequate probably compared to Super tech. They have a lot of products to market but they aren't who I would run to for more automotive needs although their marketing is top notch and the Lucas oil stabilizer is great if you got a squeeking door hinge.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
Their products in general are snake oil and a waste of money. You will probably get a lot of comments here. But, their products have been analyzed and basically contain nothing, so they can't really do much of anything aside from conditioning your wallet.
Not all. The oil is good. Yes it's overpriced but it's good. The gooey oil treatment is just that and nothing else.

The o.p. was asking about the base oils. I'd like to know also

I bought a quart of their 2-stroke oil a while back. Now, after reading all of the flaming hatred for Lucas Oil products, I'm somewhat afraid to use it. So I might just go out and buy something better than the Cobra venom their crap might contain.

I also use their Red-N-Tacky grease, and will continue to do so. Because out here it doesn't liquify as bad in the heat as so many others do.

If their oils are API SP or Dexos approved... They are just fine. I'd even bet either Warren Distribution or Amalie or Valvoline etc blends and bottles the oils for Lucas.

The octane booster they have is actually a legit good product. It does give nearly 3 whole numbers aka 30 points of octane boost.

The Slick Mist is a very well regarded product on here.

The power steering fluid has done well for many on here too.

The fuel treatment is actually a well regarded product too.

Yeah... The group 1 brightstock sold for $13 to $15 a quart is a massively overpriced whoopty product.
No doubt.

My 1965 VW Beetle had a shocking syndrome in 2nd gear till I added a quart of their gear oil to it. Worked just as well on my 87 Cab roller 5 speed. Guess it isn't all bad.

Reactions: hrv
I'm sure they are adequate probably compared to Super tech.

I'd put Super Tech above Lucas by a pretty far margin and that says a lot considering my view on API oils. Their oils are as bottom of the barrel as you can get without being a gas station line flush oil.

Lucas sells bottom shelf lubes at top shelf prices by way of a MASSIVE marketing campaign so deceitful that it puts political and military recruitment campaigns to shame. What they spend on R&D is a very small fraction of what they spend on marketing. They know the average joe doesn't know engine oil from olive oil and will believe whatever you slap on a label, and they make BANK on that.

Their API oils are very volatile (I'm not sure how they pass... if they do) and have a starting TBN <6. (per PQIA)

I can't stand the marketing of the oil stabilizer. Their oil is probably ok. But there is nothing that makes me want to use any of their products.

I avoid them completely.
Same exact thoughts I have.

I am sure the oil is ok if overpriced it passes API spec.. but their other products are such turd snakeoil I avoid the entire brand including their grease which is probably their best product.

I'm sure they are adequate probably compared to Super tech. They have a lot of products to market but they aren't who I would run to for more automotive needs although their marketing is top notch and the Lucas oil stabilizer is great if you got a squeeking door hinge.
Don’t put snake oil in same breath as super tech. That’s just wrong

I understand their marketing is questionable but I'm not concerned with that I'm concerned with the quality of their engine oil.

Not many motorsports guys here I guess. Their pro level stuff is excellent, OTOH consumer level PCMO - well let's say it helps fund the pro level stuff.

I'm big into motorsports. I'm a drag racer and have friends in Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle. I've been a crew member for dirt track and drag teams as well as building engines as a hobby. Lucas's hot rod and racing oils have never worked as hoped with inconsistent batches, consumption problems, and some detonation problems. (likely from volatility) Just because a team is sponsored by Lucas doesn't mean they run their junk. There's been a lot of hurt engines from their stuff.

That PDF you posted is a good example. It states it's a 5W-30 yet the KV100 says 13.2 cSt which makes it a 40 grade, not a 30 grade. They give the API max for CCS instead of the actual number and highly unlikely they actually tested it for CCS and MRV. (as they don't have that in their lab)

Back