LubriMoly-MOS & Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be doing an oil change on my 1997 Oldsmobile 88 with the 3.8 liter engine in a couple of weeks or so and I have decided to try the Lubrimoly with the Pennzoil 5W20 oil as i hope to run this through the winter with a fram ultra filter.

I will also be taking one of my biannual 2000 mile round trip as I go to visit my mom in Texas. She is 85 and suffering from dementia, so I try to see her at least twice a year.

After many years of monitoring my mileage on this vehicle and on such trips, I want to see the effects on mileage from the addition of lubrimoly if any.

Question: Is the fram ultra filter ok to run with additive?

yes, I have been steady in using 5w30 in the summer and changing to 5w20 going into the cold of winter.

My trip will be the week of xmas and by that time in December I normally have the 5w20 in the engine, so yes I have used the 5w20 on the trip south before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

Question: Is the fram ultra filter ok to run with additive?

Yes, the filter will be fine with the additive.

I have cut multiple filters open after having used a full bottle of MoS2 and I would have to tell you because they look not one wit different from any other filter.

They say the moly particles are way too small for any filter to catch and from what I can see with my naked eye that appears to be true. Run whatever you wish without worry.

I'd honestly be more concerned with the 5w20 in a GM 3.8, isn't that engine spec'd for 10w30?

I've been running Liqui-Moly MoS2 in the Audi for some time, anywhere from 150-300ml per change with a Bosch D+. The filters have all looked excellent with a 8-9k interval. I would not be concerned at all with a FU.

thanks all for the replies.

kcjeep
i have run it many years with the 5w20 and 5w30 oils. I understand from researching the forum that today's conventional 5w30 motor oils are likely to be a better built oil than the common 10w30.

I like using the 5w20 in the super cold months of winter here in the midwest from Dec-Jan into Feb and March, as the car sits outside most of the time and we see many nights well below 0 degrees and average temps in the single digits.

The manual for this vehicle says, if i remember correctly 5w30 for temps below 60 degrees and 10w30 for temps above 0 degrees! Which kinda baffles me.

that having been said, and knowing the cold temps that this motor oil will largely operate under, what motor oil brand and viscosity would you or the forum recommend for my vehicle?

I'll reiterate the question now, Is there a better built 10W30 motor oil out there that will handle the cold temps mentioned above?

One caveat though, is that I will have to reestablish a base line of mileage for said 10w30 oil.

Very interesting though, keep posting your thoughts...

jc

on edit:

original mileage on engine and transmission is just over 307,000.

Last edited:
I'm with KC on this one,after owning several 3800's,I wouldn't go thinner than specd weight. Stick with 10W30.

May I recommend a 0W-30 such as M1 in order to get the best of both easy cranking in cold weather and the spec'ed 30 grade at operating temp?

I may try that 0w-30 sometime in the future, I could run that year round!

But for the purpose of the lubri moly test, i think i will give it another diet of conventional 5w-20 for this winter as i already have a good base line of my mileage with the oil.

Lubri moly has been ordered...

5W20 is not recommended for a 3800 engine. My son's 03 Monte Carlo SS(98K miles) with the 3800 is running very well with Maxlife(red bottle) 5W30 with the Ultra filter...

my daily commute is 35 miles one way-70 roundtrip and in the winter cold the car does not even get up to the 195 degree thermostat operating temperature. I have verified that the thermostat is operating properly which is why I am comfortable running the 5w20 as I have been doing for about 4 years in the cold of winter,

I have also made the long run to texas during this time frame using the 5w20 and have experienced no problems yet. (he knocks on wood)

What is the viscosity of the lubri-moly and what will the viscosity of the 5w20 oil be after adding the lubrimoly?

my daily commute is 35 miles one way-70 roundtrip and in the winter cold the car does not even get up to the 195 degree thermostat operating temperature. I have verified that the thermostat is operating properly which is why I am comfortable running the 5w20 as I have been doing for about 4 years in the cold of winter,

I have also made the long run to texas during this time frame using the 5w20 and have experienced no problems yet. (he knocks on wood)

What is the viscosity of the lubri-moly and what will the viscosity of the 5w20 oil be after adding the lubrimoly?

You are adding so little of the additive I doubt viscosity will be affected in any meaningful way.
I use the stuff very often,in vehicles that are operated in Sask winters where we can see temps of -40 plus the windchill,and I've not had a single problem. In fact I think it's use is as of some benefit,especially at start up,where motor oil saver sticks to the parts since its polar in nature.
If it does anything to viscosity it will thicken it,slightly,which is probably a good thing based on the comments posted here about the 3.8 needing a thicker brew.

While 5/20 is anything but the norm (or spec'd) for your engine, if you've gone down this road for 4 winters and experienced no issues, I'd continue with this approach. I'd think with the hi miles you have on it, you would have already experienced issues.

On your 1st run of MOS, use the entire bottle. After that, 1/2 can per interval should suffice.

excellent, i ordered 4 bottles so that I could have plenty to evaluate the product as this is my first time trying it.

Last edited:
If your are driving 35 miles to work and the engine is not getting up to temperature you have an issue. I would block half the radiator in that case. I would also use 5w or 10w-30 year round. The MoS2 won't change your viscosity any measurable amount, and your filter selection is fine.

thanks, i'll pull the thermostat out again and check it this coming week end, perhaps it is starting to fail. We have had a severe blast of cold air here in the midwest with over night temps in the single digits and frigid wind chills in the minuses. i figured it was the cold blast but i'll double check it to make sure.

it is a 195 thermostat and is currently getting up to about 180 degrees,,,,I pulled and checked it this past summer and I also checked the gauge for accuracy, both were working fine at the time...

thanks, i'll pull the thermostat out again and check it this coming week end, perhaps it is starting to fail. We have had a severe blast of cold air here in the midwest with over night temps in the single digits and frigid wind chills in the minuses. i figured it was the cold blast but i'll double check it to make sure.

it is a 195 thermostat and is currently getting up to about 180 degrees,,,,I pulled and checked it this past summer and I also checked the gauge for accuracy, both were working fine at the time...

I was going to pull mine in my 2000 Century to check/replace it. I got lazy and decided to put my non-contact infrared laser thermometer to test it instead. I drove the car around, for about 10 minutes, and put the red dot on the highest point of the thermostat housing, it was about 196*F. That's all I needed to see to convince me to leave well enough alone. You might consider giving that a try before pulling the thermostat.

Odds are if yours is getting up to 180*F and its a 195*F thermostat its time to change it. OTOH if it reaches 195*F it could be something else causing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back