LubriMoly-MOS & Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, convinced myself too that something is wrong this morning as temperatures moderated a little yesterday and over night low was only 20 degrees. my guage only got up to about 185 or so this morning. as easy as it is to replace on this model, i'll likely just try to replace it this weekend as I don't have a laser therm, but am confident in the guage as i checked it using torque app on android phone and elm 327 interface i borrowed from a friend....

regarding the moly additive and 5w20 oil,,,,

as i thought about the responses, it seems like there is a split on those that think i should run thicker oil and those that are ok with it,

my question is this:
Will the moly addy be any less effective because of the thinner oil on this high mileage vehicle? AND so

I could use the pennz HM 5w20 oil, there is likely to be little difference in my opinion from that and the reg 5w30 viscosity and a shot of sealant rejuvenators may be a good thing on the old dinosaur!

Thanks for everyone's help so far as I want to make the best observation on the product as I can for a personal experience type evaluation of it, knowing that it will only be one person's experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

regarding the moly additive and 5w20 oil,,,,

as i thought about the responses, it seems like there is a split on those that think i should run thicker oil and those that are ok with it,

my question is this:
Will the moly addy be any less effective because of the thinner oil on this high mileage vehicle? AND so

I could use the pennz HM 5w20 oil, there is likely to be little difference in my opinion from that and the reg 5w30 viscosity and a shot of sealant rejuvenators may be a good thing on the old dinosaur!

Thanks for everyone's help so far as I want to make the best observation on the product as I can for a personal experience type evaluation of it, knowing that it will only be one person's experience.

Thicker oil in the winter is something I'd pass on. I would however consider a HM oil for the "seal rejuvenators" you mentioned, they won't hurt in an old high mile rig. A HM 5W20, should still be "thinner" than a regular 5W30, even if the difference is slight. I found MoS2 to help reduce oil consumption without moving up or down a grade.

will pick up ultra filter and HM 5w20 likely this weekend so I can be ready...still waiting on the LM to arrive should not be long and I'll be all set.

Likely be after thanksgiving travel when I change oil as my current fill of 5w30 still has some life and miles on it.

will pick up ultra filter and HM 5w20 likely this weekend so I can be ready...still waiting on the LM to arrive should not be long and I'll be all set.

Likely be after thanksgiving travel when I change oil as my current fill of 5w30 still has some life and miles on it.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know your observations and impressions of the product.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
If your are driving 35 miles to work and the engine is not getting up to temperature you have an issue. I would block half the radiator in that case. I would also use 5w or 10w-30 year round. The MoS2 won't change your viscosity any measurable amount, and your filter selection is fine.

Motor oil saver already has seal conditioners in it.
And it contains no moly that I'm aware of.
It's made to help extend oil change intervals and stop leaks.
It raises tbn because it contains boron. And it's got some form of ester in it which helps recondition gaskets and seals stopping or slowing down leaks.
It says do not use in anything with a shared sump which tells me it's got some kind of friction modifying ability but I don't believe it's molybdenum disulfide based on colour and consistency.
So no need for a high mileage variant of oil,unless of course you want to use one. It won't cause any harm I'm sure.

That's good info Clevy.

Surprisingly i am not seeing any oil loss when I run the 5w30, but have noticed a little with the 5w20, to the tune of only a pint in a normal 4-5 k oil change and that was observed in the summer time only not in winter use. I'll see how that turns out this winter.

I do not see any blue or smoky exhaust fumes either while running or at start up(keeping his fingers crossed).

I did park the car in the garage last night with a card board under to check on oil leaks and found a few, not like they were coming from the oil drain bolt but a little further out, so the oil pan gasket may need replaced. Almost everything on this engine is original except for the starter, water pump, alt, and ac compressor along with the normal maintenance items that I replace, like plugs and wires, belts, etc. In other words there has been no internal work done on engine.

My original idea to run this product was to observe if it would provide any noticeable increase in mileage, but I may have chosen the wrong product. Let me know.

I will still evaluate it and track the small oil leaks too and see if those are reduced...thanks all.

Last edited:
Update:

LM-MOS has arrived pic below:

I have replaced the thermostat yesterday, noticed a much quicker warm up this morning, operating temp closer to 190 now on my drive this morning, I will observe this over the next few cold snaps as our temps did moderate a bit this weekend.

Current mileage on the Pennzoil 5w30 as of yesterday was around 4k, I will likely be closer to 5k after this week with the Thanksgiving travel and daily commute, so likely next weekend will be the oil change. Observation on current oil as I pulled the dip stick yesterday, was no loss in oil, dark, oily feel, no excess gasoline smell to it. I feel comfortable pushing it a few more miles.

I added about a half a quart of MMO for a gentle cleanse over the course of the week and will also do another flush likely with B12 right before I drain the oil. This has been my normal procedure for oil changes for many years on this vehicle. Once I remove the drain plug, I will let it drain over night for this drain.

Let me know if I should be doing any other observations or procedures. thanks

jc

Last edited:
Is this thread about MoS² or MOS?
laugh.gif

I too was confused and thought it was about MoS2

What are the principal benefit claims of LiquiMoly?

1. Motor Oil Saver
2. MoS2
3. Ceratec

My most recent OC (300 miles ago) in the Beetle is 2 quarts Rotella 15W40 (CF-4/SM), 1 quart Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle oil (SJ) and 150 ml of LiquiMoly Ceratec.

It'll be some time before I do a UOA.

Thanks for your input!

Motor Oil Saver
http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2020.html?OpenDocument&land=US
click on technical data sheet linky.

i am going to evaluate it and see if i notice any mileage increases as well as any other observations i can make.

MoS2
http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2009.html?OpenDocument&land=US
click on the technical data sheet linky

i will evaluate this at a later time.

Ceratec
http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_3721.html?OpenDocument&land=US
no technical data sheet linky for this one that i could find.

not sure if i'll try this one

Last edited:
Thanks John_Conrad!

Are you using Motor Oil Saver on your 307,000 mile engine for any of the reasons LM MOS mentions?

- reduces oil consumption via the piston rings and valve guides
- prevents blue, smoky exhaust fumes
- prevents leaks due to leaks at elastomeric seals
- regenerates engine seals made of plastic and rubber - reduces engine noises
- prevents pollution of the environment due to oil dripping from the engine

From you posts, it seems like you are more interested in MPG improvement.

Thanks for sharing!

my interest started out as mileage improvement, but I do have another vehicle that has the blue smoke at start up that I can evaluate it for that. I plan to do a video of before and after I add the MOS so I can report my observations.

I will start another thread for that. I have quite a few "pans on the stove" right now, but I will get around to it this winter.

Liqui-moly mos2,motor oil saver and cera-tec all work as advertised and are the only additives I will even buy any more.
Motor oil saver won't affect mileage in any way. That's not what it's for. Mos2 is the friction modifier and every engine I've used it in got better mileage. It takes time to plate the engines surfaces though. 300 miles or more before I notice any mileage improvement.
Cera-tec is pretty awesome. Lasts for 30000 miles. I've got all 3 products stockpiled and use them in everything I own.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've got all 3 products stockpiled and use them in everything I own.

Clevy - do you use them all together, in OCI rotation, or in different vehicles for different applications?

For MPG improvement, it does seem John_Conrad would be better served with M0S2.

I'm currently using Ceratec in the Beetle, and should consider MOS in the blue oil smoking '37 Alvis

Do you mean that you use Mos2 and Ceratec in same engines? Is it really useful?

Originally Posted By: Nebroch

Do you mean that you use Mos2 and Ceratec in same engines? Is it really useful?

You can, just not at the same time.

What are your thoughts on using MOS and MOS2 together?

Going to order some MOS2 shortly......

In the mean time, I have changed oil and filter on my oldsmobile 88 but have not added any MOS, i have just the pennzoil HM 5w20 motor oil in the crank case right now as I am planning to run a couple tanks of fuel through it and establish or check my base line mpg.

I had been using some tcw3 and acetone in the fuel and I wanted to clean that out before I evaluate any of the oil additive products.

Oh and I have some pics of the oil fiter i just removed, nothing special or problematic that i can see, so i will post those soon too.

Last edited:
Reason on asking about MOS and MOS2 together, is that I do have some small oil leaks as mentioned before, coming from what appears to be the oil pan gasket. The engine sits transveresly on this model as most of you know, and the leak is (as I checked more precisely when I did oil change) noticeable from the front area of the oil pan, working its way down the metal bar there.

Last edited:
Reason on asking about MOS and MOS2 together, is that I do have some small oil leaks as mentioned before, coming from what appears to be the oil pan gasket. The engine sits transveresly on this model as most of you know, and the leak is (as I checked more precisely when I did oil change) noticeable from the front area of the oil pan, working its way down the metal bar there.

You could give their motor oil saver a shot, I heard of many success stories from people who used it. I'd suggest emailing them and see what they say about using it before, during, or after an MOS2 or Ceratec treatment, and get their word on it. They usually reply in less than 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back