lubrication engineers oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Kevin Dinwiddie:
LM,
It would be ease for someone to see by oil analysis that the LE 8130 does have Boron at 146 ppm, Zinc at 1522, and Phos at 1160. They use 70% Group IV and 30% Group 2+. You would also see that the 8800 has very similar #'s for all of the above additives. However they use a Group I base oil for reasons that benefit the slightly different additive package and seem to work better than by using a higher Base oil group. I am restricted in talking about why this happens or what LE does to make it happen (sorry). No Moly is used in any of LE's products.

Kevin Dinwiddie

Guys, Where perhaps do you recall someone(me) saying the same thing about schaeffers using groups I,and II?

Exactly like Kevin stated, there's more to the chemistry that will make these oils perform better than just putting higher group oils in a basic additive package and selling it as a full synth.

Kevin, I really enjoy your posts as you provide some interesting points. As much as the little test results we see posting on an earlier post on page 1, I'd keep in mind that if I understand correctly, this was an internal test done by LE and that it is not a 3rd party test. As for it's validity, I'm saying they are biased but most all know it's not like it hasn't been done on some other oils. All companies want to say they are the best, including mine, but in reality, I know as well that there are many good oils and have learned to share spot light with other good oils such as LE. Unfortunately, I haven't seen an oil analysis to verify this but because of Kevin's excellent informative responses, I would not believe it to be any less of quality than that of Schaeffers.

Since this type of data is interesting and helps show the info that most companies don't want out, what I would like to offer(which I don't normally do as many know) a 3rd party that does these types of tests which has no affiliation with any one oil company. They do is collect oils from various locations and run these high dollar tests and for 9.99 a report, you can see some very interesting info. They carry reports on every type of oil including LE,Schaeffers, Petro canada, Amsoil, you name it they got it. No oil company pays for these test that they give you. They do however have an engineer technical data sheet which is more in the hundreds which most don't need. Those tests are more for people such as Kevin. They're known by oil industry and myself and I've not heard anything bad about them. If I recall correctly they are also used by API to do spot checks on various oils on the street.

The company's name is IOM institute of materials, inc. They are currently working on getting their database completed up to the web site and is not working currently, so the only way to order these reports are mainly by phone. ph# is 800-561-8247. Myself, I like to talk with Rebecca and has always been very helpful.

Now, like the above test in the prev post, this by no means represents the quality of an oil in the normal use but by test bench means only. As many know that not all oils that bench good actually work as well for every situation. As one guy stated, "it depends on the application". Very true.

Here's a sample copy of those reports. Myself, I do not pay attention to the scale on top but to the actual numbers listing on the bottom.
 -

Let me make some clarity on my above statements as I do not want to confuse the issues. My mention about tests was in reference to the 10th post on the first page by LM that posted about tfouts and falex on the different oils and such and nothing about the tests Kevin mentions. The Vox report doesn't go anywhere near what Kevin mentions.

[ June 18, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back