lubrication engineers oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin, Now I remember it was Almasol,is this used in the 4025 H-1 grease.It works well for us,even worked on a 1958 Pfaudler rotary filler that fills gallon jugs of mayo,I tried it on the piston shafts that run in navy brass bushings and it held up over 10 hours with out regreasing.We also use the 4025 food machinery lubricant with Quinplex which seems to work well for us also,What is Quinplex and how does it work,the can says it improves the film if I remember correctly,also does the Monolec work in the same fashion as an EP additive.

Thanks fillherup,
RB Shannon, the LE 4025 does not have the Almasol. Almasol would make it an H-2 product. The LE 4025 is an H-1 food grade product and cannot have Almasol in its formula.

You asked what is Quinplex? Quinplex has 5 characteristics 1. Water resistance, 2. Tackiness, 3. Cohesion, 4.Mechanical Stability, 5. Corrosion resistance. Quinplex is its pure form is very thick and has an almost solid appearance but clear. Quinplex stabilizes viscosity and gives a higher load carrying ability to the product that it is incorporated into.

The 4025 is an EP product and only has a 1.5% resistance to water spray off. Its load wear index is 61.02 and its oxidation stability PDSC is greater than 120 (the test only goes to 120 min)

Does Monolec work as an EP additive? No most EP additives are pressure or temperature activated. Monolec will work all the time without haveing to be activated.

Sprintman, I hope theguru helped you already.

Thanks for asking,
Kevin Dinwiddie

Kevin they do sell to the general public if you contact them right? If not I just got taken for 99+$ over the phone.

Fillherup, you brought back some memories for me when you said that you used to work for Champlin. My Dad used Champlin many, many years ago (we are talking decades). I think that Champlin became Citco, or was bought out by Citco. Mystik has some kind of relationship with Citco-either they are made by the same company or else closely tied together somehow.

At any rate, I still remember those old Champlin Hi-Vi cans. And I can remember getting interested in motor oil technology, after I started to study what all the letters and numbers meant. Back in those days the oils for gas engines were ML, MM, and MS.

Kevin - thank you for the additional information.

If your allowed to say, does 8130 or 8800 use ZDDP, boron, or moly? And they are both Group IIIs?

Also, would a similar Falex & TFOUT comparison table be available for 8130 vs other 10W-30s?

These are likely just 2 of many tests LE performs. Does LE ever use the Sequence IIIE Test (ASTM D 5533)?

LM

These 2 15w40s have the highest oxidation resistance. I think these are the only 2 full synthetic oils on the list. Am I wrong?

Mobil Delvac-1 5w-40 12 829
Royal Purple Long Rider 6 701

LM,
It would be ease for someone to see by oil analysis that the LE 8130 does have Boron at 146 ppm, Zinc at 1522, and Phos at 1160. They use 70% Group IV and 30% Group 2+. You would also see that the 8800 has very similar #'s for all of the above additives. However they use a Group I base oil for reasons that benefit the slightly different additive package and seem to work better than by using a higher Base oil group. I am restricted in talking about why this happens or what LE does to make it happen (sorry). No Moly is used in any of LE's products.

Have similar tests been done on LE 8130? yes but quite some time ago. All of the oils have been upgraded and the results would not be accurate today. (LE 8130 at the time did almost as well as the 8800 15w-40)and it has been upgraded also.

Does LE use sequence IIIE testing? All oils have to test IIIE in order to pass the API classifications. I am instructed to not publish these results, however in the IIIE test you must be able to go 67.5 min. before an increase in viscosity of 375% is reached. I can say that after many! more min. LE only had an 80% increase in viscosity. That should give you a good idea without giving you the test #'s.

Other tests that an oil must pass for API certification are CAT-1N, WDN, TGF, TLHC, Oil Consumption, Mack T-* Vis increase @3.8% soot est. Max, Filter Pressure drop @ EOT kPa, Roller Follower Test, Wear- mils - Max, Seq IIIE Hours to 375% vis increase min. CRC L-38 Bearing Whight loss MG Max, 10 Hour stripped viscosity cSt min, Cummins corrosion bench test, copper increase ppm max, lead increase ppm max, tim increase ppm max, D130 copper strip rating and i'm sure some more that I can't think of right now. The seq IIIE as you can see is just one of the tests that all oil mfg's have to pass. These test results are what tell the best oils. However the oil companies have spent many thousands of $$$ to do this testing and this test data info is just not given out to anyone. Sorry.

Kevin Dinwiddie

pedaltothemetal,
Those are two of the best synthetic engine oils. However I always look at the wear first and then the oxidation resistance. After all I would not want to use an oil that had a great oxidation resistance (for long oil life) and be getting higher wear the whole time.

Kevin Dinwiddie

Kevin and The Guru
link works but no info there. Filled out the form as asked with email ph etc but doesn't work so I'm stuffed if you get my point. Kevin do you have an address or ph number?

I'm glad they upgraded the Delo 400 and Schaffer Supreme 7000. In the last thread they failed.

Before:
Chevron Delo 400 Fail ------- 342
Schaffer Supreme 7000 Fail ------- 253

Current:
Chevron Delo 400 7 289
Schaffer Supreme 7000 6 225

[ June 17, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: pedaltothemetal ]

Thanks again, Kevin. Good to see the boron
smile.gif

Brian, a UOA is a Used Oil Analysis. You send in a sample of the used oil after 3000 miles or so to a lab and they analyize the used oil sample.

Kevin Dinwiddie, thanks a lot for all the information about LE lubrication products. Now I am really interested in LE.

It is interesting to me that what may well be the best motor oils available tend to be not OTC oils. You are not very likely going to find LE, Schaeffer's, or Amsoil just sitting on an auto parts store shelf. I continue to become more and more unlikely to just use any motor oil that I might see in an auto parts store, except for maybe Mobil 1, Mobil Delvac, or Chevron.

I am currently using Schaeffer's Oil, which is also not an OTC motor oil.

Hey, if anybody uses LE oil, please have a UOA done on it! It would be interesting to see how LE oil does in the typical car, light truck, or SUV.

Hey Sprintman,

Did a bit of reseach and you can find their contact details on Yellow Pages. Do a search for Lubrication Engineers in SA. Unfortunately the link would not paste.

Kevin,

Are there spec sheets for 8130 and 8800? Didn't see any in the LE website.

Sprintman,
I do not have the phone # for your country. sorry Kevin, I had to remove this as not being a site supporter. anyone wanting contact info by all means, contact Kevin directly via email or PM's. Thanks for your understanding our policies. I'm sure they can give you the # you want.

Kevin Dinwiddie

[ June 18, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back