Lube Gard ATF any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jer

I e-mailed Lube-Gard about using their product and got the following response.
===============================================
Hello Jer --- Mobil 1 is an excellent product and will offer you a good level of protection for your re-built transmission. The term
"synthetic" refers to the base stock the additive package the fluid requires is carried in. The LUBEGARD ATF Protectants when added to transmission fluid enhance the add pack already present in the fluid. The Liquid Wax Esters are a product developed and patented by International Lubricants Inc. and are not present in any products not manufactered by us. The Esters are long chain molecules reacted from seed oils high in erucic acid and are synthetic replacements for the sperm whale oil that was present in all ATF's prior to 1972 and the Endangered Species Act. We have been used at different times to solve lubrication related problems by ZF in Europe and by GM (Saturn) and Ford (convertor shudder) here in the USA. Thank you for your interest in LUBEGARD products. --- Pat
================================================
I am interested in using their product but... I'm hesitant about using additives.

-jer

I don't think you have to worry too much about using Lube Gard. I put it in my Transmission. After talking to some car dealers and hearing the use from rebuilt Transmision shops, plus reading positive feedback from this site, I had no problem calling it an additive as I was pouring it in.

However, I also had NO problem using Lucas 80w90 gear lube in my Differential and front end, and am pretty happy with the use of this so far.

in short, unless someone else has some other info then I have, I would say GO FOR IT! Just make sure you grab the right one, the red box LubeGard ATF treatment then there is the Black box friction modification. A NO NO as far as my vehicle was concern.

quote:

the red box LubeGard ATF treatment then there is the Black box friction modification. A NO NO as far as my vehicle was concern

Actually what is that stuff? I mean it sounds like it actually alters the structure of the oil.

-jer

Well, after using it in three transmissions I really could discern no difference and basically, if the unit is operating fine I feel you should just save the money. It will not harm anything but is it really needed, like most additives, probably not!

You could also try the LubeControl as an alternative

The black bottle converts coventional fluid to a Honda type(high silicone). It also additionally has the esters that the red bottle has. In my opinion penzoil atf plus black bottle of lube guard is equal to or better than Honda fluid becuase of these esters. Besides HOnda will not tell nothing about there fluid and that irritates me.

I use the LubeGard Red as a preventative measure. I feel that if it stops shuder, it will probably prevent it.

I feel that bad things are probably happening long before the SOTP meter picks it up, so if you prevent those things from ever happening, your transmission will last longer.

[ June 09, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back