LS430 - Sludge advice

I think the issue with the k&n especially if it’s oiled is the oil eventually Coates the maf sensor.
And in a stock, streeted car, it also lets more dirt through.

K&Ns are great for racing and marine applications where all you need a gravel catcher and flame arrestor.

It's a valid philosophy when acquiring a high mileage car that appears neglected or has observable oil issues. The OP states that he observes new oil turn dirty instantly. This would be a good case for doing some short OCIs to attempt to rehabilitate the internals. Oil is really cheap. A Lexus and it's engine are very valuable. This is a no-brainer. It's not going to harm anything by doing some short OCIs, and it is almost surely going to improve this car, or ANY car could benefit from such things. Again, when you do an oil change, there's ~10% you cannot get out, and that 10% might have contaminants, really old oil, sludge, water, who knows. So even in a healthy engine, another quick OCI will in fact get nearly all of that last 10% out.

Spending $100 on oil is better than losing the $5000-$10000 value of a Lexus.

Dirty instantly is a bit of an exaggeration (funnily enough I saw another thread with an LS430 owner that mentioned 'instant dirty oil') - To be clear, I really don't know what the condition of the engine is, other than:

i) Air filter was shockingly dirty;
ii) Spark plugs have seen at least 60k miles (possibly more!)

The concern is huge gaps in the documented (recent) service history.

On my to do list (in about this order):

i) Throttlebody clean
ii) MAF clean
iii) Rocker cover gaskets (will post pics in this thread of under the rocker covers when the gaskets arrive);
iv) Oil drain (shortened interval)
v) Another 'spill and fill' of the trans, most likely with the genuine Toyota ATF - its cheaper than Amsoil and from what I hear, quite good (unsure whether I should pull the pan and do the filter at some point)
vi) spark plugs

Dirty instantly is a bit of an exaggeration (funnily enough I saw another thread with an LS430 owner that mentioned 'instant dirty oil') - To be clear, I really don't know what the condition of the engine is, other than:

i) Air filter was shockingly dirty;
ii) Spark plugs have seen at least 60k miles (possibly more!)

The concern is huge gaps in the documented (recent) service history.

On my to do list (in about this order):

i) Throttlebody clean
ii) MAF clean
iii) Rocker cover gaskets (will post pics in this thread of under the rocker covers when the gaskets arrive);
iv) Oil drain (shortened interval)
v) Another 'spill and fill' of the trans, most likely with the genuine Toyota ATF - its cheaper than Amsoil and from what I hear, quite good (unsure whether I should pull the pan and do the filter at some point)
vi) spark plugs
Did you decide what oil?

I think most here would suggest M1 0W-40, although that certainly wouldn’t be your only option.

M1 EP 10W-30 would be another fine choice.

Ive heard that the 0W-40 has some ester content, which helps clean. Not sure about the other M1 variants. I think I remember reading here that they all do.

Wrong, and I can prove it. After my mother died, I got her 2000 Forester for my daughter. It had not had an oil change for a few years and before that my father believed in 5000 or so miles with dino oil. I changed the oil with Mobil 1 5w-30. After about 1,000 miles the oil was brown. If you can't figure it out, that was sludge being cleaned up. A good full synthetic has cleaning properties. The oil has never been that dirty since then, but continues to look pretty dirty with the 5 to 6K OCIs. A little better each time.
This doesn’t prove Mobil 1 cleans lesser with a 5000 mile oci than five 1000 mile ocis.

Did you decide what oil?

I think most here would suggest M1 0W-40, although that certainly wouldn’t be your only option.

M1 EP 10W-30 would be another fine choice.

Ive heard that the 0W-40 has some ester content, which helps clean. Not sure about the other M1 variants. I think I remember reading here that they all do.

I would have used it, but my stash is too big at the moment.

I will Shell Helix Ultra followed by Redline 5w40. How long the intervals are will depend on how the valve covers look when I pull them off

Thanks - Mobil is very expensive here, more so than penrite racing and about on par with redline.

U
When I was in Australia a long time ago, while I did see a Mobil filling station, my uncle poured Valvoline 20W-50 into his Camry by the 4L jug. He got all his car stuff from Bumpa to Bumpa in the suburbs of Brisbane.

I did recall seeing Penrite and Castrol pushed at the filling stations.

Here's my guess on your situation / plan:
I bet when you remove a valve cover you'll find just the "yellow hue" of an in-service engine. Then you'll be happy.
Because the heads get hot, any real sludging will leave thick goo or 'chunks'. Again, I bet you don't find any.

Since spark plugs are on your proposed maintenance, why not get a compression tester (flexible rubber hose type) and take cold dry and cold wet readings? They always say it's the real check on an engine's health.

Then you can check the coolant's condition and refresh the brake fluid (and maybe even clean and lube the pins).
Vanquishing the "sludge bug" from your skull will free you.

I bet when you remove a valve cover you'll find just the "yellow hue" of an in-service engine. Then you'll be happy.
Because the heads get hot, any real sludging will leave thick goo or 'chunks'. Again, I bet you don't find any.

Since spark plugs are on your proposed maintenance, why not get a compression tester (flexible rubber hose type) and take cold dry and cold wet readings? They always say it's the real check on an engine's health.

Then you can check the coolant's condition and refresh the brake fluid (and maybe even clean and lube the pins).

You nailed it... I need to be free! 😆

A650E uses T-IV high viscosity fluid, but LV fluid is the same viscosity as sheared HV stuff.
That is what valvoline was pushing to get one tester site to remove their warning. May be a synthetic LV vs a non synthetic HV but not a high end synthetic like TES 295 spec, Redline or Amsoil.

Closing the loop - You were right ;)

Attachments

• 20211117_153607.jpg
    20211117_153607.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 40
I bought a used LT1 Trans Am. Had 149K miles on it. I did 500 mile oil change intervals on it for a couple thousand miles using Shell Rotella T 15-40. I drained near pudding out of there for the first 2 oil changes. Took it to 170K miles and sold it, no engine issues at all, and oil drains looked normal at that time.

Also, K&N air filters are terrible. Avoid that.

Also recommend using OEM paper filter. The air filter massively affects contaminants in the oil. Otherwise just change the oil and filter at conservative intervals, like 2500 or 3k miles is what I would do initially for the first few rounds. The filter will filter.

Transmission - is there a filter screen? Drop the pan, clean out the gunk (might be a half inch deep), replace the screen or filter, and put in the factory stuff.

I'm undecided as to whether I should use an engine flush!
this seems being milder than others. (i have wet belt)

Washing black sludge and other impurities and debris. Increases the operational safety of the engine and avoids insufficient lubrication. Lubrication holes, Olsiebe, piston ring grooves and channels are carefully cleaned and engine damage is prevented. Suitable for all commercial engine oils in gasoline and diesel engines with and without Diesel particle filter (DPF) Turbo and catalytic converter tested. The addition of approx. 200 km before the oil change. Tin is sufficient for up to 5 l engine oil. Not suitable for motorcycles with wet clutch.

Back