Lowering antenna tower

I have a 50 ft tripod with 3 ft base antenna tower I want to lower, paint and then put a new antenna on. Currently does not have one. Last time back in the day I could lower it but had trouble raising it. What I have is a 120v 1000 lb hoist. The problem is the angle I was using as it was too acute.

So I'm thinking of using a pully up high in a spruce tree, then down to another tree to secure the hoist then string it up to the tower. It would give me a +10 ft height for the pully and some leverage.

Here's were it will land

Antenna landing spot.jpg

Here's looking at it from the direction it needs attached from.

Antenna from pull direction.jpg

Here's how I plan to string it. Attach the hoist to the base of the tree on the left. Put a pully about 15ft up on the tree then straight out to the antenna. It should give me more leverage and clearance for the cable on the corner of the roof. Green line would be level when the antenna is standing. The tree with the hoist attached is about 5ft out in front of the spruce.

Antenna pull.jpg

Open to any other ideas. I also could get my small car to pull it up under that spruce tree. Maybe the mower has the guts.

Ha go east you mean! Last time I used the same winch and attached it here. It did OK lowering it but stalled at the 45degree lifting point. It did not go all the way to the ground either as it was hung up in some bushes about 6 ft off the ground.

antenna base old.jpg

looks like a accident waiting to happen,,try to rent a lift,or contact someone with a bucket truck (tree service etc) ,use a good paint like Rust-oleum and brush on,will not take long,plus safer than lowering tower,be carefull!!

It's really not lowering that is the problem as gravity will help me out. It's getting it back up that the problem is.

I should just get a couple hundred ft of rope and use my car and a pully, Easy peasy.....

It's not that heavy as the guys who made it bought it over on top of a pickup with a ladder rack. Hand carried it to the site. I suppose they used their truck to raise it, can't remember.

Back