Lower Viscosity Oil & Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Increased friction from lack of fluid film strength. Duh. Friction is drag, dragging [censored] is not efficient...

Kinda cute
20.gif
like Allison Hannigan

If your engine does NOT get better MPG as you drop HTHS viscosity, then that is a sign there are some high bearing pressures (cam lobes, rings, wrist pin, rod, mains, etc.) inside which need the higher viscosity oil.

When viscosity drops too low for any engine, more metal to metal contact occurs and friction rises.

Is the message here that this dexos spec'd oil is "tuned" for short term mileage and smog requirements and is somehow lacking in the robustness needed for the long run?

I tend to keep a primary daily driver much longer than most and I use a Xw-30 oil because it's my opinion that an Xw-20 might be worse, equal or better. I'm not willing to take that one chance in three that I made the wrong choice for the long run because I can't go back and do it over. This is one case where standing pat is not a mistake even if the Xw-20 dexos oil proves to be good for the long run.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Kinda cute
20.gif
like Allison Hannigan

Haha that's EXACTLY what I was thinking!! Mmmmmm natural redhead!!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back