Low VI oils for 9X6/9X7 water cooled Porsche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a bit hesitant to start this thread. Time will tell if I succeeded.
Here we go. Looking for an oil that will suit this type of engine in my driving conditions and hopefully benefit folks with GT2, GT3, 996/997TT’s and alike who actually store their rides during winter months and enjoy them over the summer. Oil changed every 6 months regardless of mileage so overall cost of oil should not be a main factor.
I would also like to exclude racing/tracking applications. Just daily driven (hard driven if necessary) cars that we want to have running “forever” just like that proverbial old Toyota commercial with 700KMi on it.
Porsche requires oils between 0w40 and 5W50 (see Widman’s graph your oil site, BTW: great stuff, much appreciated!) to run variocams properly. I have no need for 0W40 oils, I don’t drive in winter. 5W40 is definitely OK, however given that I typically start my car in +5*C (40*F) worst case a question comes why can’t I use 10W40 grade for my summer fill.
We all know that so called Euro oils 5W40 shear to 30 grade relatively quickly. There are also opinions that 10W40 handles the job much better from the UOA and engine wear perspective. I know some of you will say “just follow your manufacturer…”. Indeed I am not trying to improve upon Porsche engineers; I am trying to select a narrower spec oil that will benefit from not covering a wide aspect of driving conditions that all season cars encounter. Such oil obviously is not on A40 list that’s why I am seeking advice here.
So, it must be ACEA A3/B3/B4 as minimum. Have HTHS > 3.5, possibly meet or exceed 229.5 and other similar requirements.
I exclude motorcycle oils as they typically have high ZDDP levels contributing to piston deposits and detrimental to cats.
Some Diesel oils would qualify just all right I think.
Potentially 40 grade racing oils, however 6 mos. OCI may not be optimal in this case.
Unfortunately the 10W40 grade isn’t common nowadays. Redline, Amsoil, Castrol 10W40 and a few Diesel oils to chose from. Mobil HM 10W40 is not available where I live or at least I didn’t come across it yet.
There has been many similar threads such as “Why we hate CJ-4/SM…”, I would like to keep this on a constructive and positive note.
Any cons or pros of going with 10W40 in these water cooled engines?
Please respond with similar experience, thoughts or ideas. No brand X better than brand Y please. That’s not what I am looking for.
Cheers,
L

What does Porsche recommend for your engine? USE IT!!!. You have been reading a whole lot of info that doesn't add up to much and you are confusing a simple issue. Oil for your car. The whole reason for multi visc oils is to cover a wide range on operation conditions and climates. Again what does Porsche recommend? There are a few people IMHO on this board who can really give you the proper recommendation reguarding Porsche oil. Hopefully they will post.

No Sir.
Too thick for variocams to opearate properly I am afraid.
It must not exceed Mobil 1 5W-50 viscosity curve. That is the heaviset approved oil if I am correct. The Only ?W-50 oil anyway.

I'd tend to stick with Porsche recommended oils for the 996/997 but I have used Redline 10w40 and Rotella 15w40 for years in my race cars, both 944 and 911's...I would imagine that Redline 5 or 10w40 would give great service. I know many that use M1 Delvac or Turbo Diesel 5w40 with great results here in Ohio. Doug Hillary is a Porsche owner and hopefully he will comment. He has really done his homework and is a terrific resource on oils and Porsches too! He has spoken with the engineers of many race teams and the factory as well about oils for these cars.

Last edited:
Ha ha, I would use GC or Mobil 1 10w-30 HM, but of course some members would insists spec oils only. Well, they don't even have the same oils in Europe we have here.

Take a look at the M1 HM if you can find it.

Hi,
Luxter - Any lubricant on the Porsche A40 list will be just fine. No SAE30 lubricants have been specified since MY99

M1 0W-40 is a great fit for these engines - it has had around 10 years as the Factory Fill and millions of Kms of exceptional service performance around the World in all climates

Hello Doug,
Thank you for your reply. I was about to address 30 grade lubricants. You beat me to the punch.
Delvac 1 is not on the A40. I am aware that you modified your Boxter, therefore you use this specific oil. I am also aware that you consider returning to M1 0W40. Would you please let me/us all know if Delvac 1 is still available in CI-4/SL? Last I checked with my supplier it was already CJ/SM rated. are there any differences between both blends?
As you know very well, there is a lot of (mis)information on the subject.
Re: A40 list, I already picked my favourite oil and will stick to it. The key question is can it be improved upon given the limitations listed in post #1?

Hi,
Luxster - I doubt that Delvac 1 5W-40 is still available in CI-4/SL (Charlie????). Its replacement - Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 - would be a good alternative if that is what you want and at annual (or distance if reached first) OCIs

I don't believe there is a better alternative! The A40 List contains many great products but Individuals and the Factory and many Private Teams race with M1 0W-40 even in 24hr events at the Nurburgring which is especially demanding on lubricants!!

Last edited:
For an off the shelf oil, M1 0w40 is a solid choice.

I wouldn't overthink this -- I fell into that trap long ago and realized that 99% of vehicles/drivers/situations will do just fine with almost any oil.

Otherwise there's plenty of boutique or high-end oils but the gains will be marginal, if any. Once you find something that works, stick with it.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Luxster - I doubt that Delvac 1 5W-40 is still available in CI-4/SL (Charlie????). Its replacement - Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 - would be a good alternative if that is what you want and at annual (or distance if reached first) OCIs

You are correct, Doug. I don't think he'll find CI-4/SL Delvac 1 in Western Canada anymore. My local distributor was up to CJ-4/SM around two years ago already, with all the old stock gone. If the OP doesn't want excessive ZDDP, then the CJ-4/SM is probably a better choice than the CI-4/SL anyhow.

All:
Here is edited for clarity response from Redline regarding this subject for your reading pleasure:

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your 997 the first choice for use during the summer would be the 10W40, providing the best sheer stability of those three (edit: 0W-40, 5W-40 and 10W-40), significant moly levels a good all around choice for your driving conditions.

At your moderate start up temperatures there wouldn’t be a need or a benefit to the 0W40 or the 5W40.

In addition to the above:

Q: Would you also confirm that 10W40 is the only oil in this group without VII’s?
A: The 10W40 is the product of the three that doesn’t contain any VI improvers.

Q: Is 0W40 more to conform to Euro specs, such as low (or reduced) SAPS, Zn and Ph?
A: The 0W40 is not a low SAPS oil.

Theoretical additive levels:

Oil ...Zinc ...Phosphorus ...Sulf.Ash ...Moly

0W40 ....1330 ....1200 ....1% ....950
5W40 ....1323 ....1175 ....1% ....100
10W40 ....1330 ....1200 ....1% ....950

Anybody from Amsoil willing to share some thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back