low profile Allen sockets for differential, trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

hey guys,

Can't find anywhere low profile Allen sockets...
Access on some cars like E90 is really hard without special tool I hate cutting sockets ..

Thx

Snap-On has some. If you see a Snap-On truck anywhere, just walk right up to it and ask the driver -- they usually (always?) have a point-of-sale on board. That's how I got my low-profile Allen socket. :] If you can't walk up to it, get the phone number off the side and call the franchisee.

Thx guys!

I love vim price vs quality outstanding but they are not low enough.

I have triple squares from them.

If you're in a real pinch you could get some hex bar stock or cheap "L handle" type and cut them down, then use the little stubs in a box end wrench.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Thx guys!

I love vim price vs quality outstanding but they are not low enough.

I have triple squares from them.

Try the Hazet 985 series 1/2 drive or the 8801K series 3/8 drive they don't much shorter than these. Pricey but mine are 30 yrs old and still perfect, they fit German cars.
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.samstagsales.com/hazet.htm#shortset

http://www.samstagsales.com/hazet.htm#Socket_three

My E34 requires a short wrench for the differential fill plug, I bought a socket-type Allen wrench and you could pop the wrench part out of the socket. It was about 1" long and then I put a 6-point wrench on it. No problems getting the plug in or out. Just a suggestion.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
My E34 requires a short wrench for the differential fill plug, I bought a socket-type Allen wrench and you could pop the wrench part out of the socket. It was about 1" long and then I put a 6-point wrench on it. No problems getting the plug in or out. Just a suggestion.

I might do that ... didn't know that 6 is perfect fix for it ... I might actually weld it on to have "nice tools"

Low profile sockets are great but when you add ratchet on top its just to big ... its design issue with the car
smile.gif

Thank you all for help and some great ideas.

Wait what do you mean that "6 is a perfect fix"? I meant that I used a 6-point combination wrench to turn the Allen piece. IIRC it is a 14mm hex. You can use a 12-point wrench, I only used the 6-point because I happened to have one and there's less risk of rounding off the Allen wrench. But it wasn't that tight anyway.

Originally Posted By: Ndx

I might do that ... didn't know that 6 is perfect fix for it ... I might actually weld it on to have "nice tools"

Low profile sockets are great but when you add ratchet on top its just to big ... its design issue with the car
smile.gif

Thank you all for help and some great ideas.

This is what I did with my E36 for a while. I ended up buying the low profile socket because I had picked up a rebuilt differential on which the plugs were so tight that my wrenches broke before the plugs came loose. Plus, I was just tired of jury rigging it every time and wanted the ability to torque the plugs to spec, just on principle. The rig definitely worked until then, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back