Low Oil Change Problem for my for 2003 Ford F150 4.2L

I was working at a shop chatting with a tech as he finished up an oil change. He poured 5 quarts in, put the cap on and shut the hood. I asked, aren't you going to check the oil? He replied, "You just watched me pour 5 quarts in!"

Couldn't argue with that!
I hope you're not talking about your 2005 Corolla because that is a 4-quart car!

I hope you're not talking about your 2005 Corolla because that is a 4-quart car!

No, lol. This was the late 90's, I briefly worked at a garage while in college. I don't even remember what car it was, some customer vehicle.

Sure. Some cars are designed to be checked with the oil hot, and some people don't read the manual or otherwise are not aware that it can be an issue. When a car takes 7 -10 quarts of oil, thermal expansion can become a factor, resulting in excessive misting or oil consumption from some other mechanism. I have kept all of my cars in the "SAFE" area of the stick, and have never had stuck rings or oil consumption.
I never had a vehicle where it was stated in the manual to only check engine oil on a hot engine.. As long as the engine is not overfilled, there is not an issue with misting, excessive oil consumption and rods aeriating the oil. Engineers take that all into consideration during the design process.

Fill with the recommended amount. Check the oil cold the next day while noticing the level on the dipstick. Then maintain that level when checking cold till the next oil change. AND I never had stuck rings or oil consumption.

Last edited:
I never had a vehicle where it was stated in the manual to only check engine oil on a hot engine.. As long as the engine is not overfilled, there is not an issue with misting, excessive oil consumption and rods aeriating the oil. Engineers take that all into consideration during the design process.

Fill with the recommended amount. Check the oil cold the next day while noticing the level on the dipstick. Then maintain that level when checking cold till the next oil change. AND I never had stuck rings or oil consumption.
You've probably never owned a Caddy with the Northstar. Manual say to check oil level hot.

Nissan VQ35s will make you sit for 5-10 minutes before the oil levels out.

FWIW, my 2003 Ford Crown Vic, 4.6L gas calls for 6 quarts. When doing an OC and after the engine has run, so the filter is full, the dipstick reads 1/2 quart low. MIddle of the crosshatch.

fat biker

You said the 51516 filter fits but you did not say the 51516 filter is specified for your engine.
If this filter is larger (and holds more oil) than the specified filter, your oil level will indicate this.

Back