Low Oil Change Problem for my for 2003 Ford F150 4.2L

Some years before when I did not use my own oil at this mechanic and/or oil change shop the level always came up to maximum mark . I am uncertain as to whether they put in more than 6 quarts.
You put in enough to raise the level so it is between the two marks on the dipstick.

I've got 4 vehicles. Three of them read max with recommended fill. One reads dead between min and max.

Coincidentally? My '05 Ford is the one that reads dead between.

On my mustangs and my dad's '98 4.2L, filling with the oil amount indicated in the manual will consistently put the dipstick dead center between Low and Full. I have to add a half quart to each if I want to bring the levels up to Full on a fresh fill.

However, that doesn't excuse the rude mechanic. It is his responsibility to look that the oil level is at least in range on the dipstick and there are no leaks. Beyond that, he is good.

Many service centers and quick lube places rely only on the quantities given in whatever database they are accessing. Often they just add this quantity and do not check the oil level. This is one of many reasons why I do my own vehicle service as much as possible.
Also, the oil level is low ONLY if it's at or below the line that says "ADD" (or "LOW"). Too many people on BITOG think the oil level has to be right up to the FULL mark. Most vehicles have a generous range on the dipstick where the oil level is OK. If you have an oil leaker (or oil burner) where it's actually helpful to keep the oil level right at the full mark, that is a different circumstance.

I was working at a shop chatting with a tech as he finished up an oil change. He poured 5 quarts in, put the cap on and shut the hood. I asked, aren't you going to check the oil? He replied, "You just watched me pour 5 quarts in!"

Couldn't argue with that!
If the engine needs 5 quarts, he put in 5 quarts, that would be good enough for me, provided he was competent enough to reinstall the drain plug.

I, also, have a problem with his attitude in #9. Not checking the oil after a change is a liability to him.
Everywhere I look my 93 F150 holds 6 quarts. The first time I changed the oil I just dumped in 6 quarts and it was way over filled. I found out, by careful measurement, on the the next oil change my engine holds 5 quarts.

Keeping the oil level at maximum is not ALWAYS a good practice. Normal fill is usually in between the min-max marks.

Regardless, one more reason that I will do my own changes until I can no longer muster the strength.

I guess I've been lucky, the 7 ford vehicles I've owned since 1972 have all shown full on the dipstick with the recommended amount of oil.

Keeping the oil level at maximum is not ALWAYS a good practice. Normal fill is usually in between the min-max marks.

Regardless, one more reason that I will do my own changes until I can no longer muster the strength.
Care to explain your theory?

Sure. Some cars are designed to be checked with the oil hot, and some people don't read the manual or otherwise are not aware that it can be an issue. When a car takes 7 -10 quarts of oil, thermal expansion can become a factor, resulting in excessive misting or oil consumption from some other mechanism. I have kept all of my cars in the "SAFE" area of the stick, and have never had stuck rings or oil consumption.

I, also, have a problem with his attitude in #9. Not checking the oil after a change is a liability to him.
Everywhere I look my 93 F150 holds 6 quarts. The first time I changed the oil I just dumped in 6 quarts and it was way over filled. I found out, by careful measurement, on the the next oil change my engine holds 5 quarts.
Then you messed up. The 4.9 i6 is the one that takes 6 qts, the 5.0 302 takes 5.

On my mustangs and my dad's '98 4.2L, filling with the oil amount indicated in the manual will consistently put the dipstick dead center between Low and Full. I have to add a half quart to each if I want to bring the levels up to Full on a fresh fill.

However, that doesn't excuse the rude mechanic. It is his responsibility to look that the oil level is at least in range on the dipstick and there are no leaks. Beyond that, he is good.
OP already stated that the oil was between min/max and that when he added oil it stayed where it was, therefore no leak. Y'all have some serious issues.

OP already stated that the oil was between min/max and that when he added oil it stayed where it was, therefore no leak. Y'all have some serious issues.

I never said there was a leak...? Chill out

OP said the level was halfway between min and max after getting changed by a mechanic with 6 quarts of oil and had to add a half quart to get it to max, where it stayed.

I provided anecdotal evidence that my three Ford vehicles (one being same chassis and engine) also go to halfway on the dipstick after an oil change and need half a quart to go to max.

Do it yourself and it will be the same, in the middle of the dipstick is normal. My 04' Expedition w 5.4l is in the middle w 6 qts. I do not think your mechanic is being dishonest as you suggest and in the middle is not low.

Are you including the filter in your calculations?
Yep. No calculations involved just measurements. Dump oil in. Run engine a minute or two. Let sit for another five. Check oil. Check oil the next day same thing.
Man, I started working on engines in 1966. I think I've got it down.
When I was 15, and couldn't get a drivers license, I bought a 1962 AH Sprite. No engine, no trans, no windshield, no front clip and no help. I spent summer vacation from High School and made it into a street able running car.

Back