Low milage on oil but a year has past 08 F150 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok my 08 F150 5.4 4x4 does not get driven much at all since I commute in my civic about 90 miles a day. So today it hit exactly a year on its current fill which is PU 5w30 and a Motorcraft filter but the fill in it is at 91,530 and it now has 95, 200 so 3,670 miles in a year. That's kind of funny. So my concern is should I change the oil because of age or keep the fill till I hit some more miles? As always thanks for the help.

I would leave it for a year if it will do a similar mileage in the next year unless it is virtually lots of very short journeys.

eddie

Almost all trips are highway when I use it and oil reaches full temperature. Weather here in Houston is not to drastic in changes either.

Your PU 5w30 + MC filter is no where even close to being used up. Go another full year. That point would be good to do a change.

I am not just speculating here. I have maintained low mileage vehicles for over 10 years. I go 2 or 2.5 years between changes with synthetic oils. Never an issue.

If you want to know for certain, drop the $20 on a used oil analysis and wait for the results and then decide if you need to dump the current fill or not. You can use the info as a basis for future OCIs then too.

The oil will still be good after two years, my concern is a year old, or two year old, paper element filter. Motorcraft sells a mighty fine filter, but will the filter still be in great shape after a year or two or more ? Until I had a definitive answer to that I would be cautious. I would also be sure to run it on the highway periodically to get the oil good and hot.

1 year is the most I would comfortably go, therefore I would drain. This is what Pennzoil and Ford recommend as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back